If you found someone's lost cash, would you make efforts to return it to them?

JFK

Would you try to return the cash to the rightful owner?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the amount, and how it was bundled up. A large amount, or a small amount identifiable in a wallet then definitely yes. If I happen upon a £10 note fluttering down the street with no-one around who's obviously just dropped it, then it's my lucky day.

In the case of a £10 in the street, I I would say there's no way you could go about ascertaining who had lost it - unless you're Sherlock Holmes - so the best option in that situation is to: a) if you're a well off person, donate the money to charity, and b) if you're poor, interpret it as divine providence and go buy some vodka.

If it's a small amount and non-identifiable, say a tenner/fiver then I'd drop it into the next charity box I find.

If the rightful owner subsequently issues an APB (not sure what one of those is, but Starsky & Hutch used to say it a lot...) then I'd refund out of my own pocket.

If it's identifiable then hand it over.

TBT.

Not making valiant and viable attempts to care for it and return it has been consolidated into the law of "Conversion"...I think in the old days they called it "Trover"....

You can still get done for it!....Working as a night watchman at the Villa in 2008 a lady said that she had lost a gold bracelet with "ten diamonds".....She promised a reward....

I found the bracelet in the Ladies after locking the place for the night....It was eighteen KT...I counted 26 diamonds...I thought about two ounces of gold...None of the regular staff had found it...

I called her and she gave me £10....Well, it was my job and my duty as a night watchman...And to have kept it would have been Conversion...Mind you at the price of gold then it was worth I thought a £50 reward...But it was my duty to care for it! ..I could have lit out for Hatton Garden or gorn dahn the Lane and seen Ikie Mo!

As usual Barrie a bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Conversion is civil. In criminal law it's theft by finding. Historically theft did include the concept of conversion, but since 1976 in England and 1991 in iIOM it's permanent deprivation.

Conversion in civil law implies being in possession legitimately, as well, before "converting" to your own use. Finding does not give you legitimate possession.

I'm afraid that the only legal option is to hand it in to the police immediately, or make attempts to track down the owner.

Trover is of course finding ( mediaeval law French ) Conversion doesn't actually exist as such at common law any more. It's tort interference with goods nowadays, under a statute.

so you find a tenner, can't find an owner, hand it to the police who themselves cant find an owner, what happens to it then?? do the police give it you back after X amount of time?? or do they claim it was claimed and keep it themselves???

JW. I am just a humble cleaner! I know nothing about law. Other than charter parties! (And then out of date)

But I still shafted your Law Society two or three times eh! And did a couple of litigant in person cases. (One of your mates tried to get me before the Law Society ...But I am not a member???? Curious!)

I get it sort of right John when I have the books in front of me like when the Clerk of Tynwald allowed me to borrow his Halsbury's full set and make photo-copies to build up a case...Then I did my own case and got £1,500 settlement out of Court..otherwise it is all Greek to me and I am just an amateur with dangerous but little knowledge...But I notice that the professionals run away??

And yes, looking back it was Conversion as you say legitmate holding of an item and then "losing it"...It got as far as the Deemster and they settled...But I needed to borrow the books and that was a long time ago when I "won"...

But did they not once have a principle called "Trover"...Was that finding by stealing? I thought it was?

Depends on the amount, and how it was bundled up. A large amount, or a small amount identifiable in a wallet then definitely yes. If I happen upon a £10 note fluttering down the street with no-one around who's obviously just dropped it, then it's my lucky day.

Same.

I recently dropped my wallet waiting for my outgoing holiday flight in Gatwick. All my euro's in it and all my cards. Thought my holiday was goosed until a few mins later the tannoy said for me to go to the nearby WH Smith. Someone had picked it up and handed it straight in untouched. People rock.

JW Sorry! Did not read the rest of your post about Trover!...

How I wish I could afford my own set of Halsbury's and not have to beg from Clerk of Tynwald as in them good old days!...

You see, I do not know any law! But I notice that when I have the books...I think it is called "Equal Arms" under the Human Rights Convention (I read that that in the Beano!)....Then I at least get to give em' a run for their money..But I have no law! It is all extemporising as best as I can!

Definitely depends on the amount and circumstance it was found.

Damp twenty pound note......straight into current funds.

Wallet found in the street.........defo returned to owner, which I have done in the past.

Ten grand in a Shoprite bag stuffed in a hedge.............not a chance, and hope it does not turn into the Manx version of No Country for Old Men.

Archived