Resignation of Minister

commish

Should John Shimmin's resignation have been accepted?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BREAKING: Minister Shimmin's resignation has now been accepted

Well that's that then - the public have been given their pound of flesh, someone has been blamed and taken the fall. Now we can call this episode closed and move on without looking at private-public sector relationships, efficieny and ability of civil servants, relationship between officers and ministers or any of the murky underbelly of Manx politics they are so desperate to distract us from.

Move along now, nothing to see here...until it happens again.

No, a Minister has done what a Minister should do in such a situation to uphold the reputation of the position. What is a shame is that Bell did not accept immediatly or that Shimmin did not say I am going anyway. This looks they tried to see if they could find a way out and bowed to pressure.

However As John wright said in other posts, and you have that should not be the end of the matter. It should be fully investigated, those that have made errors disciplined etc, but this can now be done without a side show of whether or not it will lead to a minister going and without the reputation of Government being further damaged in the meantime. It was the first step required, it should not be the last.

I will say I am surprised as Bell having refused yesterday to accept yesterday must have some up with some good spin about why he believed in right to accept toady. I was also a bit annoyed with Shimmin's comments earlier that he was waiting to hear what Bell's reason were for refusing the resignation and what the reasons might be which was basically just self praise. If you really believe you should resign you resign, you do not wait to see if your boss agrees. That looks as if you don't want to resign and will only do so if you are told to.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However As John wright said in other posts, and you have that should not be the end of the matter. It should be fully investigated, those that have made errors disciplined etc, but this can now be done without a side show of whether or not it will lead to a minister going and without the reputation of Government being further damaged in the meantime. It was the first step required, it should not be the last.

A fiver says it will be the last step. In fact, lets say a tenner cos if I lose I can always find talk to government and see if they can find a way of lending me the cash, you know, in the public interest.

Quick translation for those who have not listened to Bell's statement is, I did not want him to resign, Shimmin did not want to resign but the public, business, uncle Tom Cobbly and all believe he should and even I cannot spin my way out of this one.

A fiver says it will be the last step. In fact, lets say a tenner cos if I lose I can always find talk to government and see if they can find a way of lending me the cash, you know, in the public interest.
I hope you are wrong, but go for a a few grand as remember per the Governments logic every pound spent results in the multiplier affect in terms of benefit to the local economy so the more you borrow the more the Govt makes!

According to IOM Newspapers Mr Shimmin will be 19K a year worse off as a backbencher rather than a Government Minister.

He may have to get a little part time job to make up for it!!

When the dust settles and Shimmin wakes up to the cold harsh reality that he's been made a fall guy, so Laurel and Hardy can continue along their merry way scot free, I hope he turns rogue and dishes the dirt to bring them down with him....

.....unless Bell has offered him a sweetener to go away for a bit, keep your head down and we'll get you back on board soon sunshine.

.....unless Bell has offered him a sweetener to go away for a bit, keep your head down and we'll get you back on board soon sunshine.

...which happens every time there's a ministerial mess and someone resigns.

Bell and Teare should go too.

Archived