Resignation of Minister

commish

Should John Shimmin's resignation have been accepted?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bell and Teare should go too.

To be replaced by...?

Bill Henderson and John Houghton.

Wrong is wrong. How wrong do people have to be to you for them to go? Are certain people indispensable whatever wrong they do, simply because there is not a better alternative?

The Chief Minister has spoken, that is the Cabinet Office has released the official headstone inscription on ex-Minister Shimmin’s time in the Department of Economic Development.

The now departed former Minister has had praises heaped upon him, he was said Mr. Bell “determination to do the right thing in the Island’s national interest”. Mr. Bell remarked that ‘My primary concern throughout has been the protection of the economy, because that is what generates jobs and revenue for the people of the Island“ in case you might have been wondering just what it is that those MHK’s we pay for actually do with their time they follow the courageous leadership of the Chief Minister in his keen application in “maintaining the momentum and continuity in the development of the economy“.

Frankly speaking I don’t think Jim Hacker could have put a better spin on it had he tried and had the services of Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn to write it for him.

I am very partial to good fiction, having discovered as a child the works of Richmal Crompton I read all the books in the “William” series many times over so I know what it is to follow the antics of a bunch of scallywags and the scrapes and troubles they get themselves in.

In fact I enjoy good fiction writing so much I have read the Report on the Sefton many times over, it has never failed to entertain especially the conclusions they came to after all that evidence gathering they did. http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/pp/Reports/2013-PP-0156.pdf

Admittedly, Mr. Singer, Mr. Butt and Mr. Coleman individually or collectively are no Nigel Macleod QC MA BCL (Oxon) which goes a long way to explaining the difference between Macleod’s rigorous and scrupulous establishment of the facts and his verifiable conclusions when set next to the Report they produced which in all important regards was little more than a very long love letter from three devoted admirers to the object of their deep affection the Chief Minister.

Our glorious leader finished with a flourish with the rousing “But I give my assurance that a change of Minister will not mean a diminution in my Government’s commitment to economic development as a national priority.’ I could see Jim Hacker shedding a tear at that almost pitch perfect impersonation of him.

However, when the Debate comes around in the Parliament I predict that Mr. Bell will fall on the tried and tested routine and give his best rendition of “I’m just a poor Manxman I am, doing the best I can for those that matter most to me”. Graham Ferguson Lacey must be feeling better right now, well they say laughter is the best medicine of all don’t they?

Shimmin had to go. He chose to carry out a course of action that was fraught with pitfalls and didn't bother or chose not to engage with the law. He clearly thought that he and those others involved would get through a bit of questioning and move on. He was wrong.........it was his arrogance that brought him down in the end. Other ministers should take note. Maybe today might actually be the start of something new.........ok, I'm dreaming, the next scandal is probably only a month or two away!

According to IOM Newspapers Mr Shimmin will be 19K a year worse off as a backbencher rather than a Government Minister.

He may have to get a little part time job to make up for it!!

When the dust settles and Shimmin wakes up to the cold harsh reality that he's been made a fall guy, so Laurel and Hardy can continue along their merry way scot free, I hope he turns rogue and dishes the dirt to bring them down with him....

.....unless Bell has offered him a sweetener to go away for a bit, keep your head down and we'll get you back on board soon sunshine.

>...unless Bell has offered him a sweetener to go away for a bit, keep your head down and we'll get you back on board soon sunshine.

That's a bit more like it. Has a ring of Blunkett about it.

Shimmin will be back, make no mistake about it.

Let's hope the voters prevent Bell from 'rewarding' him with another Governmental post.

TBT.

http://www.gov.im/media/11304/hi_ecs_2013_application_form-new_website.pdf

You can't even get a small grant to insulate your loft without them checking whether you owe money to the Income Tax division.

In the case of the Sefton Group the government lent them money to pay their NI arrears. That is the crux of the problem-

the legality of the loan-not the protection of the island's economy.

Errr.... Didn't they break the law by giving a private company public money under what has now been proven to be false pretences? In any other jurisdiction they'd be having their collars felt by the boys in blue. Where's the Governor in all of this?

Living in multi-million pound public housing with full staff & getting paid £90K a year tax free for throwing a few parties at the taxpayers expense, that's where.

Don't get me wrong, the Sefton debacle is a very dubious use of tax payers money, but compared to the governor it's a drop in the ocean, will have at least the same benefit to the IOM (even if it has none) & be a much more moral use of the tax payer's cash (regardless of its morality)

So they will appoint a back bencher as a minister, that will leave a few political appointment gaps at one Department or another. In Shimmin will go and that adds £10k back immediately.

They will promote someone from treasury, (+40%) to minister of DED (+50%) and put Shimmo in treasury (+40%) = £15k+ so a drop of only £3.5k for taking the flak. Plus Teare needs Shimmo to survive the backlash that will inevitably point straight to the real culprit in this mess.

Capt. Cliché has spoken " Typical of the Isle Of Man we love heads on plates" I don't really think most of us want vengeance, but when the contents that of the plate we are being offered stinks, then maybe a new plate with some better fare is needed. In fact a whole new larder could be the answer.

For once, I actually admire Shimmin for doing the right thing.

Ok, this doesn't pay his bills and whatever future or hopes or whatever that he has, but on this occasion and regardless of peoples personal feelings, I think he eventually did the right thing and has proven that some people keep their word!

This to me is the base level and the realisation that what he did was wrong.

This is what other public/civil servants should look at and understand that if they do wrong, regardless of who they are attempting to please or gain opportunist favour, that if they do not understand the complexities of a situation and do not follow the policies and guidelines in place, that they're putting their heads above the parapet and open for crossfire from 'the public' or in other words, the people who pay their wages.

I saw FACT's post and as sceptic as they come, but I also see the realism of what the Government and it's licking boys have become. Jobs for the boys or the old boys network should be a scandalous name that people should avoid at any cost, but in reality, it exists, people willing to suck up and be the yes man does truly exist, people who are willing to look after their own most certainly exists and the brown tongue followers unfortunately.....exists.

Where is the person who says - What you're doing is wrong, where is the person who is willing to stand up and say this system or direction is wrong? I therefore say that Shimmin has been true to his word on eventually putting his resignation in and for that, I give a personal bow of the head and regardless of whether you liked him or not, he at least followed through and that's worthy of some credit!

The fact is that he's one of not many who eventually put their hands up and admitted that they were wrong and this is the crux of the matter. If a person in whatever position or authority goes above their remit and above their conditions or rules and regulations of service, should they be automatically fired?

I say yes as the rules, regulations and petty policies are there to provide guidance and structure and if anyone oversteps these boundaries, then they're doing so unlawfully and IMO, should be automatically finished.

Never mind! In a short while the great and the good can dress up in their finery and regale in the glory of an ancient parliament, whilst the plebs rejoice in crumbs from the table and inebriation at the local hostelry (assuming its allowed to open this year). All will be well, the lies and deceit forgotten by the masses.

To be replaced by...?

Anybody, absolutely anybody...

TBT.

are cannon and ball available?

To be replaced by...?

Anybody, absolutely anybody...

TBT.

are cannon and ball available?

post-2497-0-54275600-1403212112.jpg

Archived