Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

Nuclear weapons are unique in so many ways

Of course and their use is entirely unthinkable but I was just counter-arguing that poor beleaguered Israel or any nuclear power is anything but beleaguered in reality because of it.

Israel has a mighty army which has been exercising its might for decades against a group there before them who have no army or any defence, not even economic. Is it any wonder they have been exploited by terrorists with their own despicable agenda?

Nuclear weapons are unique in so many ways

Of course and their use is entirely unthinkable but I was just counter-arguing that poor beleaguered Israel or any nuclear power is anything but beleaguered in reality because of it.

Israel has a mighty army which has been exercising its might for decades against a group there before them who have no army or any defence, not even economic. Is it any wonder they have been exploited by terrorists with their own despicable agenda?

who would that be? Certainly not the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip judging by how they were living and the presence of their elected Hamas government.

Foreign Office Minister Baroness Warsi has resigned saying she can no longer support the Government's stance on Gaza.

Good on her!

I can't stand politicians who cynically trump up their ethnicity and gender as a way to gain votes. "Oh look at me, I'm a woman and a Pakistani, so vote for me." Good riddence.

You seem bitter about Israel having a strong military. Israel has been forced into having a strong military. Things could have gone very differently in 1948, 1967 and 1973. Defeat for Israel in any of these wars would not have been just a territorial or tactical loss; it would have been the complete annihilation of their nation -- genocide. The men and women who serve in the IDF are the first and last line of defence against another Holocaust.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson
  • Like 1

Chomsky's a fool if he thinks that the two-state solution is still the easy solution to this conflict. How he thinks it would or could work is beyond me, and it would only condemn the region to another hundred years of conflict. Events in the wider region are overtaking the received wisdom anyway, and it's in Israel's neighbouring Arab states interests, and the West's, to have a strong modern democracy that can defend itself in the eastern Mediterranean. The one-state solution with full democratic rights for all citizens, federalist government and a degree of devolved regional autonomy is the only option worth pursuing.

• Like 1

It's interesting. Britain was tasked to manage that bit of the broken up Ottoman empire while two states were established. Jordan was created as the Arab state, what was left was supposed to be Jewish state. That was determined by both the league of nation's and later the UN.

On that basis there was and IS a Palestinian state. The trouble seems to be that a bunch of rag tag trouble making mostly bandits created mayhem in the established Palestinian state and got kicked out. What then happened ----

SMUJ, it would cease to be a Jewish state due to the demographics.

What's wrong with that?

Everything. It would end up as yet another Arab state. We already have at least 21 of them. In all this big world, and in all the big middle east, is there not room for just one little country for Jews?