A new Pink Floyd album will be released tomorrow!

Thomas Jefferson

The Endless River is album of the day on 6Music. All the tracks I've heard all sound like they are building up to something and then they just end, a tad disappointing. Is it true that this is really just outtakes and various musical noodling cobbled together from previous recording sessions?

Yes, it appears to be largely taken from 200 hours of recording for The Division Bell which wasn't put into the final album. It's my favourite album. Based on the parts I've thus far listened to, I'm inclined to agree with some of the reviewers on other websites who are saying this ought to have been released as a second disc on a 20th anniversary edition of The Division Bell instead of as an album in and of itself. It reminds me a lot of Gilmour's On An Island album. Parts of the first track sound like they're from A Momentary Lapse of Reason (the "welcome my son, to the machine" song --I forget the name of the song).

They're all pensioners now...with dementia they probably think it's new stuff.

Like your daily insults.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan...not for their early stuff.

But....just like the Simpsons and Red Dwarf they should have known when to call it a day...and that was the 90s

True. Off topic somewhat, but the best musical acts, film series, sitcoms... all leave you wanting more. Led Zeppelin quit once John Bonham died. John Cleese realised when Monty Python had had its day and quit, Fawlty Towers only did 12 episodes. On the other hand Police Academy was a funny film - by the 4th or 5th sequel it was just shit.

I wonder if Zeppelin had lost Bonham in '72 whether they'd just have got in another drummer. Perhaps, they were burned out by the time of Bonham's death and it was the catalyst for a break up that was coming.

If you think about bands that are seen as having split up before (or just as) the standards slip - Beatles, Zeppelin, Smiths, Jam, Hüsker Dü, - add your own, had been through an intense period of creativity and touring (about 12 lps in 7 years, 10 in 10, 6 in 4, 5 in 5, 8 (inc 2 doubles) in 7 respectively). No wonder they want to stop.

But there's plenty of bands have taken a break at that point only to return with great records to play hugely enjoyable shows. And there's many bands that sustain a long career through a slower release schedule. The Flaming Lips made their best records and had most success 15 to 20 years into their career. Mogwai are playing their best shows this year 15 years into their career.

There's no rules, but I think the bands I like best tend to have long careers with peaks and troughs, rather than faultless short ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was nothing like as good as I had hoped.

I thought that there were a couple of good tracks though, esp. Nos. 7,8 and maybe 1,2 and 18.

Overall though not a patch on albums like Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Final Cut etc. But then it only cost a tenner.

They've been pretty average since Waters left. Some might say earlier than that, but The Final Cut was poor and they never improved after that.

How can you say that The Final Cut was poor ?

I have never heard that description before, for that album.

What would you say was their best album ?

Archived