A new Pink Floyd album will be released tomorrow!

Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else on here agree that (Takes a deep breath) Pink Floyd are slightly over-rated ? Yes they've recorded some fantastic stuff and at least two of the best rock albums ever.....but....but.....do they merit the iconic status and idol worship ? Hasn't Roger Waters mined that vein of middle-class bitterness, privileged cynicism and chip on his shoulder (C'mon Roger, cheer up) just a little bit too much ? Gilmour's a beautiful player of course, but haven't they also recorded some dross over the years ? And what's with the Barrett thing - tortured genius or mistaken LSD casualty of rock myth ? I understand it but I don't get it.

I just happen to like their music, except the early experimental arty stuff which, frankly, hurts my ears to listen to. I like Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, The Division Bell, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I've still not bothered to listen to all of The Final Cut as it didn't sound all that good but I may give it another listen at some point.

I love the later stuff, but I also thought Barrett was over-rated and there are whole albums I've only given a cursory listen to and then moved on.

Everything since Dark Side I've enjoyed, and I agree with SMUJ about Waters although anyone who can get the line (IIRC) "and a group of anonymous South American meat-packing glitterati' into a song can't be all bad. The Final Cut is a wonderful album, especially today (Remembrance) and mostly just his own work, although some of Gilmour's guitar soloes on it are breathtaking.

We've been playing the single from the album for a couple of weeks on MR (daytime playlist too!) and it's super. Reviews say the album is more a noodle and more atmospheres than songs, so as long as you're prepared for that I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's been very trendy (since punk) to disparage Floyd, but I think they're the greatest rock band ever...self proclaimed masters like U2 and Nirvana don't hold a light for me. But hey, music is subjective...

I wish there was more ambient, atmospheric music out there which you can just chill to and doesn't contain political, philosophical or life stuff that tries to make you think. I liked David Gilmour's On An Island because it's ambient and relaxing to listen to although I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Pink Floyd stuff.

So this is Pink Floyd without Roger Waters - at least he's not mentioned in the Amazon write-up I just looked at.

I'm not a massive Pink Floyd geek (my musical geekery revolves around Queen) but I do love much of their music - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall are all masterpieces. I always thought that whereas Gilmour was the sound behind Floyd, Waters was the creative genius. Am I wrong on this? Perhaps TJ or Stu can enlighten me as they're clearly bigger Floyd geeks than me.

(To me, the word geek is a compliment - I embrace the fact that I'm a geek about many things - so please, TJ and Stu, don't take offence at my use of the word smile.png )

I don't really know much about music so can't comment on that. I just relate to the lyrics in The Division Bell and I think they're brilliant on a literary level. I've seen some critics say the post-Waters lyrics were rubbish or derivative of earlier stuff but I disagree. I think the lyrics in the later albums is more mature and uplifting. I like Gilmour's guitar solos as well which I think get more time in the post-Waters albums. But I like bits here and bits there of all their stuff. I'm not specifically some Pink Floyd fanatic -- they probably are my favourite band but I have absolutely loads of music from every genre. I've always been more partial to classical music than anything else.

Wrighty - Ithink Waters was increasingly the powerhouse creative spirit behind the stuff I like - Wall, Final Cut - in fact I think that was the basis of the rift that led to him leaving in high dudgeon (the geek in me says 'not the Gus Dudgeon who produced Yellow Brick Road'). He and others presumed the band would die without his skills, but actually it instead seemed to wake up the others, Gilmour especially.

As an aside for TJ, I found a really great Toto instrumental track recently that you might enjoy:

http://youtu.be/aOl9QiIhYA0

Aside from the Barrett era, which is of its time, but stands up quite well against their contempories, and the long instrumental off Ummergummergotterdamendung, I find them boring at best and cloyingly sentimental at worst.

Archived