Summerland Sold

Zammo Maguire

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Then the same thing would apply to Robertshaw, who should also have recused himself on that logic.  I presume it's personal and something that her fellow MHKs would know about (hence the 'obvious reasons'), but the rest of us are unaware of.

I laid on the sarcasm too thick. If anything she should be at the forefront of anything that is going on in her constituency, especially something like this development.

If she is conflicted she might want to consider standing down altogether.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I laid on the sarcasm too thick. If anything she should be at the forefront of anything that is going on in her constituency, especially something like this development.

If she is conflicted she might want to consider standing down altogether.

Shes conflicted by reality which categorically infers that’s shes shite, when she clearly thinks she’s doing ok in her own reality bubble.

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Robertshaw is MHK for Douglas East? You know, I would never have guessed. 

Well I thought some people might have forgotten[1], so I'd better point it out.  Actually the whole episode was even odder than it looks because Bettison had spoken on the previous item, so she must have jumped up and dashed from the Chamber, leaving Robertshaw to explain that she hadn't eaten something funny.  He then goes on about receiving e-mails  when she's been sitting literally in front of him.  It's also strange how he gets this e-mail at 9:30 am but still has time to get back to her and then contact these Berkeley people and still be sitting in Tynwald at 10:30 am.

[1]  Howard Quayle recently referred to Robertshaw as his 'neighbour' in the House.  They may live near each other but their constituencies don't adjoin.

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I thought some people might have forgotten[1], so I'd better point it out. 

[1]  Howard Quayle recently referred to Robertshaw as his 'neighbour' in the House.  They may live near each other but their constituencies don't adjoin.

On yes, Howard, the AG, Robertshaw, and good ol' Buster are neighbours and chat over the garden hedge. Probably. Not.

I've seen the guy operate. He is all over Douglas East like the proverbial rash when he is looking for 5 years of ego boosting and £250,000+

He must have been cock-a-hoop when Brenda Cannell retired, as he took on the role of senior constituency MHK.  Any constituency stuff that came in he fired it over to Johnny '159 votes' Joughin.

Re Ms Bettison, when anybody declares an interest isn't it normal to explain what that interest may be?

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Re Ms Bettison, when anybody declares an interest isn't it normal to explain what that interest may be?

In my experience it is - they're usually only too keen to emphasise how virtuous they are.  But in some cases they may declare an interest and still speak (mentioning the interest) or even vote - not even being present is unusual.  And if someone isn't going to vote for such a reason, they really out to get the permission of the President to absent themself and not vote, because if a member of Tynwald is available they are supposed to be in the sitting and vote.  You're not meant to abstain in Tynwald.

There's nothing in Bettison's declaration of interest to suggest anything disqualifying and I can't see any family connection (her father is big in Conservative local government in Britain, but there doesn't seem to be a link with Berkeley on his declaration).  So it's a mystery.

Of course the usual pattern in the Isle of Man is to go ahead and deny any conflict of interest even when there is one - like Boot giving himself planning permission earlier in the month. Usually everyone on the gravy train will ignore it and expect that other will return the favour.

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Usually everyone on the gravy train will ignore it and expect that other will return the favour

Didn't that all end with the intro of the Ministerial system???:P

LC. ' bit uncalled for?'  Yes, I hadn't thought of it in terms of her ability to carry a hod, more that she might seek work on the building site. Poor humour?

On 11/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, TheTeapot said:

So they closed it because of a risk of flooding which wouldn't have happened because the flood defence barriers were in place so there would be no risk of flooding so it didn't need to be closed? That hurts my brain

The barriers are on each lower entry/exit point. I guess if the barriers are closed they can't open any doors so all fire exits would be blocked so they have to close.

I do not care who builds what on it just when?   It is a total disgrace that it has been left to lie so long.   Also the Villiers site, if we have no laws that would let the Government consficate these eyesores make one....if you have finished the hot and heavy discussions about seagulls, goats and wallabies that is.     Every time there is an election there is a little bit of hope which quickly disappear after about three months, I feel quite sorry for Howard he gets criticised but really when you see the quality of the people he has to work with it is no wonder things do not get done and civil servants continue to rule o.k.

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I do not care who builds what on it just when?   It is a total disgrace that it has been left to lie so long.   Also the Villiers site, if we have no laws that would let the Government consficate these eyesores make one....if you have finished the hot and heavy discussions about seagulls, goats and wallabies that is.     Every time there is an election there is a little bit of hope which quickly disappear after about three months, I feel quite sorry for Howard he gets criticised but really when you see the quality of the people he has to work with it is no wonder things do not get done and civil servants continue to rule o.k.

I thought the Summerland site was government owned?

40 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Villiers has just been sold. 

Archived