Summerland Sold

Zammo Maguire

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The report says it is a "multi, multi-million pound project".

That's a lot of millions.

Plus the Island would effectively get a new tram depot for nothing. 

There is such a thing as a free lunch after all.

after iomg spends £40 million on consultant reports on the cliff.......

plus £40 million doing the work.....

bargain.......

On 10/31/2018 at 7:30 PM, Non-Believer said:

In my days of haunting the Cave disco and a few functions in the building up to its closure, the "corrugated" effect of the concrete facing was simply falling to bits by dint of its steel rebar within, corroding and just pushing off its concrete cladding. The rusting, exposed bar could be seen everywhere on the external walls, particularly the walk along the tramlines up to the entrance door.

Once the NEC was opened and the Villa refurbished, there was no will to keep Summerland going. I'm sure that the problems could have been overcome but why would they want to compete with their own developments?

9 hours ago, gettafa said:

To be fair, Summerland wasn't built on a flood plain and continually cost millions to repair every time there was heavy rain.

And the walled river channel between the NSC and McDonalds (Dhoo or Glas, can't remember which?) is again filling up with gravel, tree branches and debris, I was looking at it the other day and thinking, "If there's another deluge this winter..."

Seems like lessons still need to be learnt.

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Does not "continually cost millions to repair every time there was heavy rain."

It must be somewhere else :)

Nope.

I mean the NSC. How many times since it opened has it been closed due to flooding? Two occasions it was closed for long periods (including now) for  6/7 figure sum repairs. (once is too many, twice is utter incompetence/negligence/who gives a tossedness)

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And the walled river channel between the NSC and McDonalds (Dhoo or Glas, can't remember which?) is again filling up with gravel, tree branches and debris, I was looking at it the other day and thinking, "If there's another deluge this winter..."

Seems like lessons still need to be learnt.

Yep, lessons need to be learnt alright. eg don't build a multi-million sports centre on a  'kin flood plain. 

Hah hah, is that what they are saying. 'Refurbishment'. The place never recovered after the last flood. And 10 years or so ago it flooded as badly.

I'll say again. Once is too much. Twice is etc.... 

Bobbie, you are either a gov shill working at the NSC or you work for the Wavey Davey Architects who designed the place

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

...you are either a gov shill...

You know they've run out of argument when this hoary old chestnut is trotted out.  The long-form equivalent of "#fakenews".

By your own admission, flooding events twice (disputed) in, what, about 20 years?  That's not "every time there was heavy rain".

Also, fact is that it's the pool that is being refurbished at the moment - the pool suffered no damage during the recent flooding incident.

So I call you out as a hyperbole-inclined old poopy head, and that's that!

Archived