Summerland Sold

Zammo Maguire

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd better copy in the whole IOM Newspapers story in case it disappears as they sometimes do:

The UK’s biggest homebuilder is considering a multi-million pound project to redevelop the former Summerland site, it was claimed in Tynwald.

But Berkeley Holdings insisted it has no plans for any developments in the Isle of Man.The claim was made in Tynwald by backbench MHK Chris Robertshaw during a debate on spending £1.5m on reconstructing the Strathallan horse tram depot.

Mr Robertshaw said he had received an email that morning from fellow Douglas East MHK Clare Bettison who indicated she would not be able to vote in the motion as she was conflicted.

He said: ’I inquired from her what that reason is. She was reluctant to discuss the matter with me for obvious reasons and passed me on to Berkeley Holdings Ltd.’

Mr Robertshaw said he had spoken to Berkeley - the UK’s biggest homebuilder and third biggest development company - and was ’given to understand’ they have made ’representations to the department with regard to a multi-million pound project at Summerland’.

’I further understand that they intend to travel to the island to meet with the Minister in January.’

He said under the plan, the island would effectively get a new tram depot for nothing as well as a multi-million pound project.

Mr Robertshaw urged the Minister to do nothing that would ’preclude entertaining such an important project’.

But when we approached Berkeley Holdings to provide a statement, we were told there are no such plans.

A spokesman said: ’My understanding is that Berkeley do not have developments planned in the Isle of Man.

’I am not aware of any plans at all.’

Robertshaw, incidentally wasn't acting as a 'backbencher' but as (Deputy) Speaker and shop-steward of MHKs (Watterson was off the Island, presumably at some sort of shindig for Men Who Like Dressing Up).  What he actually said was (line 1895 ff)

But I am brought to my feet by an email that I received at 9.17 a.m. this morning where my fellow Member for Douglas East, Miss Bettison, indicated that she would not be able to vote or attend this particular motion because she was conflicted. I inquired from her what that reason was, she was reluctant to discuss the matter with me for obvious reasons, and passed me on to Berkeley Homes Ltd, the biggest home builder in the UK, and the third biggest development company in the UK in more general project terms. I spoke to them after I had received this email and I was given to understand that Berkeley Homes have made representations to the Department with regard to a multi-multi-million-pound project at Summerland and that I further understand that they intend to travel to the Island to meet with the Minister in January. As an outcome of that project, should it happen, should circumstances allow that we would effectively get a tram depot for nothing as well as a multi-million pound project. So all I ask at this very early stage of the Minister is this: would he ensure that, in developing this important investment further, he would do nothing which would preclude the Isle of Man from putting itself in a position where it could entertain such an important project.

It's not clear why Bettison would be 'conflicted' in this case - indeed enough to not even appear in the Chamber for it.  Presumably it's something personal.  It doesn't seem to be something to do with the DoI or the Sparshop Enterprise as she isn't a member of those.

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Perhaps it's because she is Member of the House of Keys for Douglas East, and er, Summerland is on her patch?

For that very reason she should be leading the push for the site to be redeveloped! I'm wondering if her family may have connections to the company involved?

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'd better copy in the whole IOM Newspapers story in case it disappears as they sometimes do:

The crucial part of that quote from the newspaper article is: "But when we (iomtoady) approached Berkeley Holdings to provide a statement, we were told that there are no such plans. A spokesman said: "My understanding is that Berkeley Holdings do not have developments planned in the Isle of Man. I am not aware of any plans at all."

It'll be interesting to hear what the response from both parties will be.

48 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Perhaps it's because she is Member of the House of Keys for Douglas East, and er, Summerland is on her patch?

Then the same thing would apply to Robertshaw, who should also have recused himself on that logic.  I presume it's personal and something that her fellow MHKs would know about (hence the 'obvious reasons'), but the rest of us are unaware of.

It is possible that Berkley would have preferred to have kept their interest a secret for now lest their rivals are alerted to this site? Hence their denial when approached.

Maybe Robertshaw has been wrist slapped?

The tram shed mentioned will be a new MER shed, the current shed would interfere with the development of the whole site, not the Horse tram shed which has just received  1.5 mill of our quids.

Quite how a shed could be incorporated is interesting. Would it be semi underground with the new building going over it? Would it be a new terminal at the north end to allow the development to take over the tram lines outside Summerland? The MER rails are a bit of a downside to the site of a prestigious development!

Bettisons 'interests' do not show any connection, a family member? Maybe she doubles as a Hod Carrier?

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It is possible that Berkley would have preferred to have kept their interest a secret for now lest their rivals are alerted to this site? Hence their denial when approached.

Maybe Robertshaw has been wrist slapped?

The tram shed mentioned will be a new MER shed, the current shed would interfere with the development of the whole site, not the Horse tram shed which has just received  1.5 mill of our quids.

Quite how a shed could be incorporated is interesting. Would it be semi underground with the new building going over it? Would it be a new terminal at the north end to allow the development to take over the tram lines outside Summerland? The MER rails are a bit of a downside to the site of a prestigious development!

Bettisons 'interests' do not show any connection, a family member? Maybe she doubles as a Hod Carrier?

they haven't been queueing around the block for the last 10+ have they......

49 minutes ago, Kopek said:

1269-3d-Vis.thumb.jpg.a2864aafe22c8f67749bd61e5905c88b.jpg1269_02.thumb.jpg.aacf22427ce0fa73db49149d0e9f6514.jpg

Archived