Someone has cleared up the Fairy Bridge?!

Ceaseless Change

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I've never liked the clutter and when it first started it seemed wrong because it was against the way the site had always been.

However, over the years - this must have been going on 15 years or more - it has become a tradition for some people.

I may not like it neccessarily, I certainly don't invest emotional energy or feelings for departed loved ones in totemic public displays but I recognise it gives some people comfort. So who am I deny others that expression.

You wouldn't take it upon yourself to remove a roadside tribute or the poppies from around a war memorial or a memorial plaque or a bench in someone's memory, just because you think it's unaesthetic and you've a free afternoon.

If this spot needed clearing, and I can live with either decision, it should have been done respectfully by the landowner or the authorities and after consultation or least notice so people could remove valued items.

Also It seems a pity that these items people invested emotional value on end up in a bin bag. Maybe they'd make an interesting time capsule for future historians or an artist or photographer could use them in their work.

I always thought I hated all that stuff there no I feel sad it has gone in such a high handed way.

I hope the vandalous troll that did this has a rotten Christmas.

However, over the years - this must have been going on 15 years or more - it has become a tradition for some people.

Become a tradition for some people maybe, but what about the rest of us?

I may not like it neccessarily, I certainly don't invest emotional energy or feelings for departed loved ones in totemic public displays but I recognise it gives some people comfort. So who am I deny others that expression.

Lots of things give people comfort but there is no need why the rest of us have to put up with their little habits

You wouldn't take it upon yourself to remove a roadside tribute or the poppies from around a war memorial or a memorial plaque or a bench in someone's memory, just because you think it's unaesthetic and you've a free afternoon.

A war memorial is a well recognised place to leave such articles, and built with the intention of such.

If this spot needed clearing, and I can live with either decision, it should have been done respectfully by the landowner or the authorities and after consultation or least notice so people could remove valued items.

Fair enough. But did anyone consult with the landowner or authorities if they could leave stuff? Consult with who? And how? ...and Why?

Also It seems a pity that these items people invested emotional value on end up in a bin bag. Maybe they'd make an interesting time capsule for future historians or an artist or photographer could use them in their work.

*giggles*

I always thought I hated all that stuff there no I feel sad it has gone in such a high handed way.

Unilateral I agree. But what is the alternative? Maybe he spent the last 15 years seething about such a once wonderful magical place being desecrated by seeming tat that means nothing to most of us.

Well that is just nasty and vindictive, Declan.

I disagree. I think such public displays of grief, if that's what they purport to be, are mawkish in the extreme and particularly out of place in this instance.

To be honest, personally, I agree with you. But that doesn't give me the right to trample over other's opinions and feelings.

The decision to remove the stuff needed to made after all opinions had been taken into account, or heard, and at least with warning so people had the chance to remove their memorabilia.

I may not like it necessarily, I certainly don't invest emotional energy or feelings for departed loved ones in totemic public displays but I recognise it gives some people comfort. So who am I deny others that expression.

Lots of things give people comfort but there is no need why the rest of us have to put up with their little habits

But life requires a bit of give and take, live and let live.

I didn't like it but I can't see how that stuff harmed me. I think the greater harm has been done by the unilateral decision of one man to destroy this stuff.

Well that is just nasty and vindictive, Declan.

Just like this man's act of vandalism.

About time in my opinion - what has fairy bridge got to do with pinning bits of shit to a tree? I'm pretty sure cemeteries are the places designed for memorials to those no longer with us.

Agree 100%. The place had become a disgrace.

Well done that man. smile.pngsmile.png

To be honest, personally, I agree with you. But that doesn't give me the right to trample over other's opinions and feelings.

The decision to remove the stuff needed to made after all opinions had been taken into account, or heard, and at least with warning so people had the chance to remove their memorabilia.

I agree also. It was a mess in my opinion, but some of those things were heartfelt tributes left by grieving people. It is really quite crass to just check them in a bin bag on your own say so, without warning.

As a result of this, there may well be some grieving people out there who will be absolutely gutted and heartbroken anew when they find out that a treasured possession, left at the bridge in tribute, is now at the bottom of a skip.

I agree also. It was a mess in my opinion, but some of those things were heartfelt tributes left by grieving people. It is really quite crass to just check them in a bin bag on your own say so, without warning.

As a result of this, there may well be some grieving people out there who will be absolutely gutted and heartbroken anew when they find out that a treasured possession, left at the bridge in tribute, is now at the bottom of a skip.

If it was so treasured it shouldn't have been left there.

If it was so treasured it shouldn't have been left there.

As someone just pointed out. The cemetery is the place for memorials, where loved ones are buried, or ashes scattered.

I notice a lot more roadside crosses, some permanent, popping up lately too and again I think that is also wrong.

Whatever happened to private grief ?

Whatever happened to private grief ?

It all seemed to go silly after Princess Di croaked.

Yes, that was mass hysteria. Everyone seems to think it's good to wear your heart on your sleeve nowadays. Just makes us look like a pushover with no backbone. Maybe an accurate impression at that.

Archived