Someone has cleared up the Fairy Bridge?!

Ceaseless Change

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They may not have had permission, but the people doing it this year had over a decade of precedent with no-one saying they couldn't or shouldn't. It's not like it all appeared overnight, there was plenty of time for people to kick up a fuss and the Govt to take notice and prohibit it in the right way. Some bloke just turning up and doing it after all this time is wrong.

I couldn't give a shit about the issue of permission and land ownership that people bang on about, as I think that is secondary to the real reason why it is getting people's knickers in a twist.

Ok, it has gone on for about ten years or so, and should have been nipped in the bud far sooner.

But what if it wasn't done this year?

Presumably, the rubbish (which it becomes as soon as the depositor drives away) accumulates, getting worse and worse as it degrades and as more is added.

There isn't really anything wrong with removing this tat and crap. Because it is nothing more than tat and crap, as its worth is only to that person who left their own item and which loses its value as soon as it is has been left. The item is only part of a sentiment and wish that only has momentary value at that place. It's in the person's mind that the wish is held. The only problem is that the person presumes the item to be left in place. If this removal was done and it wasn't well publicised then it would be perfect.

Aside from this though, it is a bit of a competition of ideas here. There are those with the idea that leaving a note somewhere or depositing something has some value because of their idea of what fairies are. But there are those who dislike this idea, because it does not represent what they think of the fairies/little people.

In depositing all this stuff, a lot of people are, in a sense, asserting their ideas. The person who removed the rubbish and those who support him are asserting theirs.

Now, when is someone going to go to the Real Fairy Bridge and do the next removal? Lots of new stuff has been added. In a year or two, this stuff will degrade or get grotty and look awful.

Can't we just point out that it isn't actually the Fairy Bridge anyway. The real one isn't on a road and is rather more difficult to access. If the punters knew that perhaps the problem would solve itself.☺️

I may not like the look of his house.

Will it be alright to destroy everything I don't like that has appeared over here in the last say 30 years. I'm surprised he did not just cut the tree down, that's what most of our Comeovers do if they think it's spoiling their view, do they not. Whoever he is I hope all the things in his garden meet with the approval of those around him.

Think of the cash the landowner would be pocketing by panning the river for 10ps and coppers. Steady stream of income.

That's much more like a ' New Manx ' comment. Nice to know you are still around

I'm surprised he did not just cut the tree down, that's what most of our Comeovers do if they think it's spoiling their view, do they not.

The way I have seen it done is to get a Manx advocate to draw up a title deed to allow the 'comeover' to cut their neighbour's tree as and when they require.

A couple of grand will buy ought these days.

As I said in the other thread, whether there should be stuff there or not is personal opinion. What's not opinion is that some bloke taking it down of his own volition was not the right way to go about it. As others have mentioned, if it was done via appropriate channels people would at least have had enough time to object or collect any bits that have sentimental value to them. Some guy putting it all in a bin bag and fucking off with it isn't right.

But neither did those who left their tat there making it an eye sore have permission. If rubbish is dumped then somebody has to clear it. The fact that somebody cleared it for free rather than it having to be paid for seems very public spirited. We have beach buddies trying to clear the beaches of rubbish, seems that we have a volunteer prepared to keep the area around Fairy Bridge clear of rubbish. That the rubbish was left their deliberately or accidentally seems irrelevant to me.

I do though agree that it would have been a good idea to have left the bags somewhere accessible for a while so that if people wanted to recover items they have dumped they could collect. But to be honest if you dump stuff on the side of a road somewhere I am not sure you really expect it back or it means that much to you

They may not have had permission, but the people doing it this year had over a decade of precedent with no-one saying they couldn't or shouldn't. It's not like it all appeared overnight, there was plenty of time for people to kick up a fuss and the Govt to take notice and prohibit it in the right way. Some bloke just turning up and doing it after all this time is wrong.

As it is "that" time of year,

"Oh no it isn't"

You only think that because you didn't like the stuff being there. Try to think a little more objectively.

We are still talking about the "Fairy Bridge" aren't we ?

No.

Bloat quoting possibly.

As I said in the other thread, whether there should be stuff there or not is personal opinion. What's not opinion is that some bloke taking it down of his own volition was not the right way to go about it. As others have mentioned, if it was done via appropriate channels people would at least have had enough time to object or collect any bits that have sentimental value to them. Some guy putting it all in a bin bag and fucking off with it isn't right.

But neither did those who left their tat there making it an eye sore have permission. If rubbish is dumped then somebody has to clear it. The fact that somebody cleared it for free rather than it having to be paid for seems very public spirited. We have beach buddies trying to clear the beaches of rubbish, seems that we have a volunteer prepared to keep the area around Fairy Bridge clear of rubbish. That the rubbish was left their deliberately or accidentally seems irrelevant to me.

I do though agree that it would have been a good idea to have left the bags somewhere accessible for a while so that if people wanted to recover items they have dumped they could collect. But to be honest if you dump stuff on the side of a road somewhere I am not sure you really expect it back or it means that much to you

"Oh no it isn't"

You only think that because you didn't like the stuff being there. Try to think a little more objectively.

No.

Bloat quoting possibly.

Sorry forgot to put the ? mark after the last remark.

"Oh no it isn't"

No.

Bloat quoting possibly.

Sorry forgot to put the ? mark after the last remark.

So here it is full..............

No.

Bloat quoting possibly ?

Archived