Someone has cleared up the Fairy Bridge?!

Ceaseless Change

If it was so treasured it shouldn't have been left there.

Maybe it became treasured *because* it was left there.

As someone just pointed out. The cemetery is the place for memorials, where loved ones are buried, or ashes scattered.

I notice a lot more roadside crosses, some permanent, popping up lately too and again I think that is also wrong.

Whatever happened to private grief ?

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Why does your opinion on the only appropriate places to leave memorials get to sway the day?

Why can't you live and let live, dude?

You ask what has happened to private grief, in a way that betrays that you really don't care about their grief beyond finding it a personal inconvenience.

What happened to LOVE, bro?

Why can't you just suck up the tiny ickle little inconvenience of having to (gasp!) briefly catch a glimpse of a messy tree and bridge for a fraction of a second every so often, so that other people who have, oh I don't know, lost someone close to them, can leave a little memento in a place that is special to them?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/fairy-bridge-and-tree-cleared-of-clutter-1-7004645

That seems extremely presumptuous. Much of that so called "clutter" was actually memorials for people that have passed on.

I'm a bit nonplussed. Shocked, even.

Agree, it's become repulsive lately which is such a shame. Some of the low life stuff like pleading for Lottery Wins is disgusting when the genuine dignified memories are taken into account. However it's not this guys job to decide what is right and wrong. Another situation where a few rules should have been in place, and that does not mean a mass of signs. Just one notice informing that anything offensive or not in the spirit of the Fairy Bridge History will be removed, with a monthly check in place for removal. It has looked disgusting for a long time but there are many genuine memories and memorials there which no member of the public should be interfering with. Great pity, not surprising with some of today's greed and low life ideals. Witness Black Friday

Man picks up other peoples litter -

Job done,

thank you.

Mabye he could take on the shopping areas, and streets after the ' Clubs ' vomit their clientele

Job done,

thank you.

Mabye he could take on the shopping areas, and streets after the ' Clubs ' vomit their clientele

...and make a start picking up all that fairy poop. Have you seen it? There must be some big fairies on the island.

If there's not a wishing well, then put one in and let people make a wish using their loose change.

The money to be collected and used for charitable organisations and in most cases, should be a win-win.

Personal grief etc is a different story and I'm not going to reply to that as everyone has their own story to tell.

Why can't you just suck up the tiny ickle little inconvenience of having to (gasp!) briefly catch a glimpse of a messy tree and bridge for a fraction of a second every so often, so that other people who have, oh I don't know, lost someone close to them, can leave a little memento in a place that is special to them?

I have no problem with people laying flowers or placing memorials in places which were special to their deceased family member/friend, however, there is no way that the Fairy Bridge was a special location to so many people...

I don't know why the Fairy Bridge has become such a focus for these memorials and wishes but it has made that area an eyesore. The Government should have been the one to take action.

I have seen some of the comments being made in Facebook and think that the vitriol towards the guy involved is horrendous.

If there's not a wishing well, then put one in and let people make a wish using their loose change.

The money to be collected and used for charitable organisations and in most cases, should be a win-win.

Personal grief etc is a different story and I'm not going to reply to that as everyone has their own story to tell.

Job done,

thank you.

...and make a start picking up all that fairy poop. Have you seen it? There must be some big fairies on the island.

OR, why can't people just leave the place alone.

I disagree. I think such public displays of grief, if that's what they purport to be, are mawkish in the extreme and particularly out of place in this instance.

Balls to that. It's part of the TT and the TT is part of the island. It's about more than grief as well. Let's make it all sterile and boring and call it Singapore.

Why did one guy think he has the right to bin things other people left there? He's a bit of a cunt for doing that. People start Facebook campaigns for everything. Why not for this, and come up with a better solution?

I think he's making a joke that mawkish displays of grief being part of the TT. Clearly even TT fans hope fervently that there's no grief.

If anything TT people seem stoic in the face of death. The races continue the next day, compare that with the Aussie cricket team's public mourning and cancelled games when Watson died recently. It's probably due to the inherent risk of the two events.

Archived