Someone has cleared up the Fairy Bridge?!

Ceaseless Change

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/fairy-bridge-and-tree-cleared-of-clutter-1-7004645

That seems extremely presumptuous. Much of that so called "clutter" was actually memorials for people that have passed on.

I'm a bit nonplussed. Shocked, even.

Agree, it's become repulsive lately which is such a shame. Some of the low life stuff like pleading for Lottery Wins is disgusting when the genuine dignified memories are taken into account. However it's not this guys job to decide what is right and wrong. Another situation where a few rules should have been in place, and that does not mean a mass of signs. Just one notice informing that anything offensive or not in the spirit of the Fairy Bridge History will be removed, with a monthly check in place for removal. It has looked disgusting for a long time but there are many genuine memories and memorials there which no member of the public should be interfering with. Great pity, not surprising with some of today's greed and low life ideals. Witness Black Friday

In typical IOMG style what we need is the passing of a Fairy Bridge Act, then the appointment of Fairy Bridge Controllers who will police the Fairy Bridge round the clock, they could then put in a London style red zone to stop anyone parking there to leave stuff, and then pay for it all by a £5 Fairy Bridge toll for every car that goes past. We'd only need a Fairy Bridge Executive on £80k, 3 Fairy Bridge Controllers, a few new vans and a secretary to keep it all spick and span in future.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/fairy-bridge-and-tree-cleared-of-clutter-1-7004645

That seems extremely presumptuous. Much of that so called "clutter" was actually memorials for people that have passed on.

Agree, it's become repulsive lately which is such a shame. Some of the low life stuff like pleading for Lottery Wins is disgusting when the genuine dignified memories are taken into account. However it's not this guys job to decide what is right and wrong. Another situation where a few rules should have been in place, and that does not mean a mass of signs. Just one notice informing that anything offensive or not in the spirit of the Fairy Bridge History will be removed, with a monthly check in place for removal. It has looked disgusting for a long time but there are many genuine memories and memorials there which no member of the public should be interfering with. Great pity, not surprising with some of today's greed and low life ideals. Witness Black Friday

In typical IOMG style what we need is the passing of a Fairy Bridge Act, then the appointment of Fairy Bridge Controllers who will police the Fairy Bridge round the clock, they could then put in a London style red zone to stop anyone parking there to leave stuff, and then pay for it all by a £5 Fairy Bridge toll for every car that goes past. We'd only need a Fairy Bridge Executive on £80k, 3 Fairy Bridge Controllers, a few new vans and a secretary to keep it all spick and span in future.

If you go to the trouble of reading what I said you will see that what you rave about is what I don't think would be appropriate. Just some simple form of keeping the place tidy for people to visit, and to show respect to the dedications and the people that are remembered there. In recent times all manner of junk has appeared there. It needs sorting , that's all I'm saying, but not by some self appointed member of the public. Who does the Bridge itself belong to anyway. It's on the Highway, so I would think the Government ( God forbid ) is responsible. That however would probably end in something like you suggest, with a Car Park and a McDonalds.

That's unfair. He defends the revolting egambling industry as well

Another ' Government success story ' based on the greed of the individual. Lovely Island we have become, no wonder so many yearn for the past.. Again witness Black Friday, how long before we instate that one via England, - from the good old USA

You never know hagar.

Aye, something like the Castle Mona will be knocked down to keep the unclean chattering for a few years. While our highly paid Government employees retire and sail into the sunset.

/conspiracy

I'm Glad he did it Before I did, it was like a publicly accepted Flytip...helped along by the Likes of Tours/Protours and the Merry Bandwagon of tourists that feel the Need to Litter the roadside and the River (which is also full of Tat n Trinkets) , as for the Wishing well sides of thinks I Doubt you would get a Penny, The Money that people used to Jam in the cracks of the brick work is unDoubtedly Picked clean by the less than Scrupulous....Good on him..it is in such a grey area of who was responsible for it but end of the day It's PRIVATE land... i'm sure the Landowner has got fed up with picking the shite up that is dumped in her Garden and that is why it has become more noticeable of recent....as For Roadside Memorials I think they a totally out of Order, Flowers for lost loved ones should be on the Grave not tossed on a Hedge.

As Amadeus says - it's part of the TT.

I can't think of a better reason for getting rid of all that old junk.

It's not part of the TT, where does anyone get that idea?

It's part of the general visitor experience, there are people there at various times during the summer, it's just that we get most visitors during the TT and MGP! It has no real significance to the TT other than maybe people asking riders if they have said hello to the fairies!

Hats off to the bloke, chavvy, inconsiderate, and selfish people leaving shite hanging off trees are the roadside was becoming a disgrace. Glad someone had the get up and go to do something about it.

Littering is wrong, regardless of what is written on that litter.

I think the whole thing is a diversionary tactic by IOMGOV to take the public's attention away from other more serious issuesph34r.png

nah- everything is fine now, last week they invested all the reserves in the rouble, what could possibly go wrong?

Did we strike oil in Jurby last week and that's why the arse has fallen out of the oil price?

I'd wonder How long it would take before someone complained if Say I Wrote on the side of a Binbag full of Rubbish 'In Loving Memory of Aunt Beryl' and left it at the side of the road ???....[ But for the Record I don't have a Aunt Beryl and I noway mean to sully the Name Beryl or cause offense to any Aunt Beryls out there]...

Don't care if Foggy on a brief visit went there to look through all the shite left behind by selfish people.

There was nothing like that there when 'I were a kid', this recent claptrap of tradition is not that at all, just selfish people taking advantage of spineless officials who should have dealt with it years ago.

Sorry Amadeus, but the Fairy bridge has sod all to do with the TT, it is a MANX folklore thing, not a TT folklore thing; the fact that selfish TT folk put the largest most garish stuff on the tree does not suddenly make it theirs.

Archived