11 dead in gun attack on newspaper office in France

Tarne

You can't solve it by an aggressive war of course because the enemy is within as well as without.

You could nuke Mecca and Medina, since Muhammad claimed they would never be destroyed. It would debunk his claims to prophethood, if his being a child molestor, mass murderer, racist, and pirate didn't already do so.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TJ - you certainly have a point there (post 60), but I am not sure exactly to what extent. I am sure that they are not as smart as they think they are because they are going to reap the whirlwind along with the rest of us. And all because they wanted cheap labour to further assuage their greed.

Woolley, as I have written before (this is all so futile, isn't it?) you can't integrate all Muslims into Western, democratic society. There will always be those who for whatever reason feel excluded, and invest their hopes in radical religious views. You are quite right that these vicious attacks will continue. All we can do is try to win the vast majority of Muslim immigrants to our values, and to goal-keep as best we can in order to protect our citizens.

In short, liberal democracy is doing more or less the right things given where we are. We do need to control our border, and know exactly who is coming and going. US immigration requires fingerprints, but other biometric data like facial recognition might be more effective. Basically, technology might be a way to goal-keep rather more effectively.

Nothing on the scale of what they face now and in the future. The end of their state as they know it.

Well hundreds were killed in Paris in '61 and '62 by those who also sought to over-through the nascent 5th Republic. Society is sometimes very dangerous.

Knee-jerkery is not the solution.

It's hardly delusional at all should you compare it to the outcome of deductions based on some old book.

Your comparison encompasses two different subjectivities. In practice objective analysis is always subjective.

ETA: spelling

Nothing on the scale of what they face now and in the future. The end of their state as they know it.

Well hundreds were killed in Paris in '61 and '62 by those who also sought to over-through the nascent 5th Republic. Society is sometimes very dangerous.

Knee-jerkery is not the solution.

Hundreds, you say. Watch this space.

Woolley, as I have written before (this is all so futile, isn't it?)

Yes. I have times when I realise we are going around in circles, think there is absolutely no point in posting at all and stay away for a few days or only comment with a few words on what others have put. Then somehow I get drawn back in again. Can't explain it. No doubt others think the same way sometimes. I will say that it is an intelligent and vigourously posted forum compared to many I have seen. Even where you profoundly disagree with people most seem to have a brain. Can you go on Facebook and say the same?

Archived