11 dead in gun attack on newspaper office in France

Tarne

no way,they are vichy collaberators through and through,they could'nt fight their way out of a paper bag.

Comments like this just show how ignorant you are. Just f**k off until you grow up.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stand up for atheism and secularism, folks

Absolutely. The rest of your post is spot on too.

As soon as you give anyone with faith, whatever it is, special treatment because they believe in some unprovable bollox you are setting yourself up for trouble one way or another. If you want to question or even laugh at their beliefs you should be able to instead of worrying about causing offence. You have to remember that some people go around looking for something to be offended about and after 2000 years of this shite this is what can happen.

I don't care if you're religious just like I don't care if you like (thinks of something entirely inconsequential) playing football. To me it doesn't matter however if you are in my face with it and it starts to impinge on my life, I should then be free to object and if that causes you offence, tough. I really don't care if you offend me either.

Free speech must be defended

The magazine in its former incarnation was banned.

That kind of supine gesture gives these savages encouragement and, in their eyes, legitimacy for their outrageous doings.

I don't see how. Since the magazine in its former incarnation was banned by the French govt because it offended opinion following the death of de Gaulle.

ETA: my point is that speech is not free. Even if we would want it to be.

Is it only me that thinks the perpetrators of crimes like this seem to enjoy free speech but those that question or offend them don't? How's that going to work then?

Free speech is one of the few things LDV changed my mind on a year or two back. I said free speech could never be absolute. He disagreed and I now think he was right.

I said free speech could never be absolute. He disagreed and I now think he was right.

I tend to think that it is almost always a mistake to significantly alter one's beliefs in response to something which has just happened.

Also - if you change your values in response to force then hasn't force succeeded ?

It's part of our culture to take the piss out of religion. That's any religion. You don't like it? Fine. Why not just fuck off and live in some Islamic third world shithole where subjugating women is the status quo?

Oh, and if you fall seriously ill you've only got your religious beliefs to blame for your untreated demise...

Let's face it. It's like being attacked by Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble. They look ridiculous in their sandals, and their stupid beards, and those smocks, and the little white paper hats. They're like evil Stone Age clowns. It's so hard to take fancy dress terrorists seriously.

Archived