Cyclists in clusters.

Mr Bear

A C ,that was my understanding of the highway code but it's not a view shared by all cyclists.

Were you riding in inner London when you had an intimate moment with a wing mirror of a car stuck in a traffic jam , if so it may have been my car, .........credit where credit is due .............. you did stop, pick up the wing mirror ,and pass me the mirror through the open window with an apology (but no personal details....lol )before riding off.biggrin.png

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you've driven over a million miles in all kinds of vehicles you learn a lot about other road users.

I agree, which I why I maintain that my view as a driver and someone who also rides with a group gives me a better perspective than yours.

Look, most of us who train to race bikes will do 10-20 hours a week on the roads. That's quite a bit more than most road users who clock up around 3 hours aweek. Most of the time the roads are empty and you encounter cars very infrequently, particularly off the main roads. Most of the interaction with cars is also fine, people wait, and are courteous. I can go out at night, after the 'rush hour' and not see a car. Our roads are very quiet indeed.

Someone will get killed given the behaviour of both cyclists and car drivers here...in some kind of road rage incident...wait and see. Cops need to get a grip of both sides and nip it in the bud.

That's just soft. There is no huge issue here. Some people occasionally get stuck behind some cyclists and get angry. The safety record is actually really high vs the miles travelled and things like motorcycles are far, far more dangerous. If we stopped doing things because someone will get killed at sometime in the future, we wouldn't have many activities left. That includes smoking.

As for the 'inconsiderate' tag. All the rides I know of are operated in consideration for road users. We leave town early, we train out of town, we use back roads where possible, races take place early sunday morning out of the way. Police are consulted, insurances put in place. There's a lot of thought goes into the sport of cycling, it most definately isn't inconsiderate.

And to think it was only last week you wrote this;

"I forgot to add, I believe the meaning of life is to learn so we can make the world a better place.."

Be careful, your troll is showing.

It was intended only as a joke, Roxanne. Lighten up. cat.gif

I don't think there's much if any precedent for it in modern times outside of pre-revolution Versailles. Rich people are too busy working hard to run their businesses and poor people are too busy trying to survive, yet those yuppies have all this spare time and money for leisure. They're even buying very expensive clothing specially for cycling. Meanwhile, you've got elderly people struggling to stay warm and eat during winter. Something is amiss with a society with priorities like that.

I don't think there's much if any precedent for it in modern times outside of pre-revolution Versailles. Rich people are too busy working hard to run their businesses and poor people are too busy trying to survive, yet those yuppies have all this spare time and money for leisure. They're even buying very expensive clothing specially for cycling. Meanwhile, you've got elderly people struggling to stay warm and eat during winter. Something is amiss with a society with priorities like that.

Please put some notice or sign on your jokes to help people spot them in absence of anything that's actually funny.

Please put some notice or sign on your jokes to help people spot them in absence of anything that's actually funny.

How thoughtless of me not to include a notice for men who wear special lycra and helmuts to compensate for them having no personality. #gogopowerrangers

Someone will get killed given the behaviour of both cyclists and car drivers here...in some kind of road rage incident...wait and see. Cops need to get a grip of both sides and nip it in the bud.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-car-in-kirk-michael-1-6767687

No suggestion of road rage here however a cyclist did die after being hit by a car. The danger is out there with or without rage.

There's only one winner in bicycle racing. The rest should give up and stay at home.

The winners are the retailers selling the overpriced lycra pants, the drink containers, the helmuts, the high visibility apparel, the pretentious sunglasses, the bicycle, etc. Have you seen how it all costs? It's a right racket.

Archived