Cyclists in clusters.

Mr Bear

With the mountain road closed today there was a lot of traffic on the coastal road between Ramsey and Douglas. As I was driving out of Ramsey I noticed that there were sudden bursts of large numbers of vehicles coming towards Ramsey, followed by a large gap of empty road and then another long burst of vehicles.

Turns out that there were two sport-cyclists riding abreast making overtaking them very difficult on a winding road with lots of blind corners. You can see them in action at 1.30 onwards in this short section of dashcam footage. Or watch the whole video to see the effect it was having on traffic flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwheEFH8aw

I'd like to stress that I have nothing against considerate cyclists. But these two aren't.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were warned by the cops to show more courtesy last week (MR News). Selfish spatially unaware twats most of them.

ETA: and some cyclists very spatially aware of what they're doing to 'claim' the road.

Need a few prosecutions...cyclists and drivers to remind people of the rules...before someone gets killed.

Or alternatively they could have cycled together in single file (like all the rest of the road vehicles) and not held anyone up at all.

But hey, they've already lost the cycle lane on Douglas promenade through self-righteous arrogance, so why not see if they can get bicycles banned or clamped down on or severely restructed on all the other roads on the island. And that would be a real shame for all the decent cyclists who actually share the road with other users.

Or alternatively they could have cycled together in single file (like all the rest of the road vehicles) and not held anyone up at all.

bigclive.png

If you were passing two cyclists single file on a blind bend, then you're not giving them enough room. The highway code says you must give them as much room as if you were passing a car, and that means crossing into the other lane.

Note the position of the outside cycist, he's where a single cyclist would be. They're riding that way not to be difficult, but to be safe. They also may have been singling out on the straights where it is safer for them to. Remember their lives are at risk, the cars behind are only losing a few seconds on their journey. Please try to be considerate.

But hey, they've already lost the cycle lane on Douglas promenade through self-righteous arrogance, so why not see if they can get bicycles banned or clamped down on or severely restructed on all the other roads on the island. And that would be a real shame for all the decent cyclists who actually share the road with other users.

Ah, now your prejudice is showing. Where does self righteousness or arrogance come into it, and what does that have to do with the cycle lane?

Why must you pass? They go pretty fast. Are you one of those people who also must pass a bus no matter what? I bet you break into a run just to pass a pram too. Well, those six seconds must be saved somewhere.

There never used to be a problem until cyclists decided to assert or 'weaponise' their sport / hobby, using more of the road as if they were a four wheel vehicle instead of a two wheeled bicycle; in the belief that it made them safer and more visible on the road. Cycling has changed from the sport it was into the new aggressive lycra warriors of the road; primed, ready and pumped to retaliate to any perceived slight or incursion of their 'rights'. We've become a rights obsessed society; and modern cycling attitudes, typified by Slim's aggression to anyone who doesn't agree with him, is the perfect example here.

There never used to be a problem until cyclists decided to assert or 'weaponise' their sport / hobby, using more of the road as if they were a four wheel vehicle instead of a two wheeled bicycle; in the belief that it made them safer and more visible on the road. Cycling has changed from the sport it was into the new aggressive lycra warriors of the road; primed, ready and pumped to retaliate to any perceived slight or incursion of their 'rights'. We've become a rights obsessed society; and modern cycling attitudes, typified by Slim's aggression to anyone who doesn't agree with him, is the perfect example here.

In what way have I been aggressive? I've explained the way they're riding from a cyclists point of view. I drive, so I'm fully aware of the frustrations of being held up, but I think that most of the critisism is based on a lack of understanding from drivers about what it's like to ride on the roads.

I'm neither militant or aggressive about cycling, I enjoy it, and the isle of man is a great place to cycle. We enjoy very quiet roads and mostly courteous road users. There's a fair bit of prejudiced out there, particularly vs lycra and I see that as 'not like us' prejudice and not much else.

The reason cyclists are quick and vocal to respond to criticisms about road use is because it's their personal safety that's at risk. Traffic is getting heavier, cars bigger, and riding safely is important. You getting held up for 2 mins isn't as bad as a cyclist getting run over. Please try to see it from the others point of view.

They were warned by the cops to show more courtesy last week (MR News). Selfish spatially unaware twats most of them.

ETA: and some cyclists very spatially aware of what they're doing to 'claim' the road.

Need a few prosecutions...cyclists and drivers to remind people of the rules...before someone gets killed.

Boring generalisations from our resident small minded angry little man.

Archived