Cyclists in clusters.

Mr Bear

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No there isn't, and this is the crux of the issue. As the highway code says, you give cyclists as much room when passing as you would a car.

It is misleading because the distance between the outside bike and the car in Pic 1 is greater than the distance in Pic 2. The car would be straddling the centre line if they were equal which would be adequate for another car to pass on the other side.

I don't buy that cyclists can pick and choose when to obey the rules of the road sorry. If you want to change the rules, by all means pursue your right to campaign for change, but until you succeed, please observe them at all times thanks. I've already been hit once this year as a pedestrian by an inconsiderate cyclist who ran a red light and sailed through a pedestrian crossing that was on green. I suppose they came off worse in the collision as they were the ones that ended up on the floor but next time they may hit someone more vulnerable.

The arrogant thinking that you can choose to ignore the rules when you think its safe really damages your argument and I'm truly sorry that you don't see how that contributes to the general animosity towards cyclists in general.

It is misleading because the distance between the outside bike and the car in Pic 1 is greater than the distance in Pic 2. The car would be straddling the centre line if they were equal which would be adequate for another car to pass on the other side.

I don't think you can overtake against oncoming traffic if you're straddling the line.

The arrogant thinking that you can choose to ignore the rules when you think its safe really damages your argument and I'm truly sorry that you don't see how that contributes to the general animosity towards cyclists in general.

I think you've misunderstood my point. I don't think cyclists should pick and choose, I'm merely saying that their are circumstances where you might break a rule for the sake of your own safety. It's a bit like swerving over a double white line in a car to avoid something in the road. Sometimes you may have to do something on a bike that you can't in a car for the sake of safety. I don't think that cyclists should make up their own rules.

There's also some misunderstandings about which rules apply to cyclists, not all the rules that apply to cars do apply to bikes.

It seems that most people get it. Would Slim find it acceptable for horse riders or motorcyclists to ride two-abreast ? I really don't see the difference. Cyclists are road users and their 'vehicle' with rider is about two feet wide. With sufficient room for safety, comfort, and manoeuvrability either side, that's your space on the road. That's why cycle lanes in London are approximately four feet wide. They're not designed for riding two-abreast. Would Slim demand the same right in the city as he would on Manx roads ?

Let's get even more people out cycling by all means; there's plenty of room for everybody if we all use common sense.

Let's get even more people out cycling by all means; there's plenty of room for everybody if we all use common sense.

Encouraging more people onto bikes (and therefore out of cars) makes the roads safer, quieter and reduces maintenance.

But I wouldn't encourage anyone to cycle as a means of transport on the Island. Elsewhere? Yes, but not here.

But I wouldn't encourage anyone to cycle as a means of transport on the Island. Elsewhere? Yes, but not here.

Why is that?

It seems that most people get it. Would Slim find it acceptable for horse riders or motorcyclists to ride two-abreast ? I really don't see the difference.

Both are a bit bigger, more visible than bikes. If horses can fit side by side in a similar kind of space then I wouldn't object, but I don't think they can. I wouldn't have a problem with motorcycles riding two up if it was somehow safer, I don't see that it would be given that they can keep up with traffic so don't have the same issue with traffic needing to pass.

Cyclists are road users and their 'vehicle' with rider is about two feet wide. With sufficient room for safety, comfort, and manoeuvrability either side, that's your space on the road. That's why cycle lanes in London are approximately four feet wide. They're not designed for riding two-abreast. Would Slim demand the same right in the city as he would on Manx roads ?

Mostly I find cycle lanes are as narrow as they can get away with because they're generally squeezed in to existing infrastructure. The best cycle lanes are much wider. When I go abroad to places with proper cycling infrastructure, groups still ride two up, and single out when some comes the other way.

If cycling two abreast is such a problem, why do you think there is provision for it in the highway code?

Why is that?

Having cycled in other places and cycled here, the Island drivers are inherently more aggressive. Unfortunately, I'm hooked. But I wish I'd taken up Tennis or MTBing instead.

And not just aggressive towards cyclists. Towards each other & pedestrians. I was shocked when driving in Oz at the apparent lack of road rage. I didn't know where the hell I was going, was changing lanes late, etc. Did people tail gate me? Beep me? Give me the finger? No.

I'd rather ride round the Arc de Triomphe (which I've done) than ride up Quarter Bridge road at 5:20

Note: I haven't read this whole thread, but the initial video proves the car driver with the dashcam was speeding. Priceless.

Why is that?

Having cycled in other places and cycled here, the Island drivers are inherently more aggressive. Unfortunately, I'm hooked. But I wish I'd taken up Tennis or MTBing instead.

And not just aggressive towards cyclists. Towards each other & pedestrians. I was shocked when driving in Oz at the apparent lack of road rage. I didn't know where the hell I was going, was changing lanes late, etc. Did people tail gate me? Beep me? Give me the finger? No.

I'd rather ride round the Arc de Triomphe (which I've done) than ride up Quarter Bridge road at 5:20

Note: I haven't read this whole thread, but the initial video proves the car driver with the dashcam was speeding. Priceless.

But weve got those cool green cycle lanes.....

But weve got those cool green cycle lanes.....

Not Peel Road. QB Road from the QB to Agos Leap. Nightmare.

But the green lanes are cool smile.png

I get you. I think we do have a higher amount of intolerance yes. The liability laws elswehere really seem to help. In Finland for example cover for vulnerable road users is part of every cars road insurance, so assumption of blame is always with the motorised vehicle. Seems to change attitudes for the better.

The expectation of short trips and quiet roads probably doesn't help. There's very few passing places on most of our roads.

I did note him gaining on the car in front which was clocked at 29mph, and the vid stops right before his speed is shown smile.png

How about the next 30 seconds please Bigclive?

I don't think you can overtake against oncoming traffic if you're straddling the line.

I think you've misunderstood my point. I don't think cyclists should pick and choose, I'm merely saying that their are circumstances where you might break a rule for the sake of your own safety. It's a bit like swerving over a double white line in a car to avoid something in the road. Sometimes you may have to do something on a bike that you can't in a car for the sake of safety. I don't think that cyclists should make up their own rules.

There's also some misunderstandings about which rules apply to cyclists, not all the rules that apply to cars do apply to bikes.

Swerving to avoid something in the road is an emergency measure.

Not stopping at a red light isn't. They should obey the law AND the Highway Code (which says ride in single file when traffic is building up), or get off the road.

Slim seems to believe he is the authority so it is probably easier to let him believe he is right ( he has complained on another thread about people bullying him )

Perhaps he should organise a poll to see who believes he is always right as I could have it all wrong ?

Tugger: I probably should have left the red light thing alone. I don't think cyclist should go through red lights, I'm just trying to say that in *some* emergency circumstances the cyclist may feel he's safer doing that than getting crush by a left hand turning vehicle (as an example).

Slim seems to believe he is the authority so it is probably easier to let him believe he is right ( he has complained on another thread about people bullying him )

Perhaps he should organise a poll to see who believes he is always right as I could have it all wrong ?

I've not complained about anyone bullying me, I've complained about someone who's recently called me names accusing me of being a bully.

I don't think I'm the authority, I'm merely offering my point of view as someone who is a cyclist and a driver.

As for a vote, I don't think popularity of an opinion is any evidence of it being correct. For example, the majority of music purchases prefer One Direction, but it doesn't change my opinion that they're shite.

Archived