Free upgrade to Windows 10?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.. and you posted that NOT using Edge I bet.

@Aplha-Acid .... didn't click next page

#amateur

? eh amateur don't think so, degree in B.Sc Computer science, Ph.D Biocemistry, M.Sc brewing, B.Sc Microbiology

Ok, done a bit of testing now...

Performed an upgrade-in-place to get the free upgrade. Windows 10 automatically activated with no intervention as expected.

Next, wiped hard drive and performed a clean install, skipping product key prompts. Windows 10 automatically activated with no intervention, again as expected.

Next, replaced the hard drive and performed another clean install, skipping product key prompts. Windows 10 automatically activated with no intervention. Wasn't expecting that.

So, a replacement hard drive is no longer considered significant enough to make the MS activation service think it's a different PC.

"Spyware" is a bit strong. Yes, it collects data by default (especially if you just hit the express settings button in setup without reading it, like 99% do) but the opt-outs are there. Switch off anything you're uncomfortable with (Cortana is the biggie) and sign-in with a local account instead of a Microsoft account. Job done.

"Spyware" is a bit strong. Yes, it collects data by default (especially if you just hit the express settings button in setup without reading it, like 99% do) but the opt-outs are there. Switch off anything you're uncomfortable with (Cortana is the biggie) and sign-in with a local account instead of a Microsoft account. Job done.

iHge6RJ.jpg

Up to you, but I'm going to stick with 7.

Yes, the options are all there as I said and you point out in pretty pictures. The tinfoil hat highlights and comments are bordering on laughable though.

And plenty of them don't have options to disable them, or don't disable them when you do set them to off.

Not to mention the user agreements.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

You agree to that if you want, but Microsoft should not have that access.

The point is kinda that you shouldn't have to though. It seems like Microsoft want in on the way Facebook makes money, selling advertisers your info so that they can give you personalized ads. Not really what I want in an operating system.

Still, Win7 EOL is 2020 and by then maybe Linux gaming support will be decent.

Archived