Free upgrade to Windows 10?

I'm currently running Windows 7 and I've got the option to upgrade to Windows 10 for free (as does everyone apparently) although it appears I won't be able to return to Windows 7 if I want to rollback. For those in the know is it worth reserving my free upgrade?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 once you disable the Metro interface. It's an efficient OS.

I've played with the Technical Preview a bit. I usually wait for MS OSs to get to SP1 level before I install them as a primary system but I'm just going to jump straight to 10.

Depends what you do, but Windows 10 is looking to be pretty fantastic.

On this particular laptop its mostly just internet/email, but I'm more intrigued what sort of clauses there are into this 'free' upgrade, I've never known Microsoft to give anything away for free unless its for evaluation purposes. At the moment I'm happy with Windows 7 and until the support ends, I don't see a reason/benefit to upgrade.

It's good to know it can be removed, Ans. I'm going to leave mine where it as as it only takes 1 second or 2 at most to bypass it entirely anyway.

What do we do or where do we go in July (?) when the upgrade is available? Will it appear in Windows Update?

Thank you

so would there be any reasons not to upgrade ans?

I am ans SP1, there are no upgrades for me.

Seriously though, I wouldn't upgrade unless you're due to refresh your OS soon or you want new toys to play with. If you just do general internet and your OS install is fairly new, I'd wait.

Seriously though, I wouldn't upgrade unless you're due to refresh your OS soon or you want new toys to play with. If you just do general internet and your OS install is fairly new, I'd wait.

Wait............................................................for what?

Thanks, I'm happy enough with Windows 7, Its just Microsoft seem to be pushing this 'reserve your upgrade' like its some time limited offer and If I'm foolish to miss out on upgrading to Windows 10 then I'd rather know about it.

Nah, you can still get it afterwards. Reserving it does allow you to pre-download a chunk of the data in advance but it's only going to save you a couple of hours on a decent broadband connection.

Archived