Free upgrade to Windows 10?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody having problems in Devices and Printers?

Have a batch of Acer laptops (unsupported on Win 10) that are being detected as PC's with PnP monitors instead of Laptops. This causes issues on where to display the output as they think there is a monitor as primary and the laptop screen is a 2nd screen, blank initially. Have managed work arounds to get the display to the correct screen on boot up but only found the wrong category detection today. Think this is the route of the problem. Have also lost the ability to control the brightness of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sticking with 7 on my tech adviser's advice. No doubt Microsoft will eventually discontinue support/updates.

There must have been considerable glitches on 10 since its introduction judging by the number of updates I see when I check on Microsoft and which 7 lists as 'failed'.

I've played with 10 on a ThinkPad I have and on a few other machines and it does look nice, BUT I can't be bothered arsing about to upgrade my main 8.1 machine any time soon because that's a good day or two worth of work that I really don't want to have to put in just yet.

Remember downgrading can be done for up to 30 days if you want to chance the upgrade. I've downgraded a few people though, mainly older folk who didn't want to relearn how to check their emails (Windows Mail has been phased out since Win8 and was the closest thing to Outlook Express one could get)

I like W10, but on my desktop machine it's coming up with a 'side by side configuration' error and won't display things like the settings menu. Tried online suggestions to remedy (reinstalled C++ etc) but it hasn't worked. Able to work around it so not a disaster. And my netbook sometimes loses the mouse pointer, but that may be a hardware function key problem.

Well I took the plunge and Installed windows 10, coming from Windows 7 I don't like it at all, if anything it feels slower. I can see its an improvement on Windows 8 but in many aspects as a general user Windows 7 was unfussy, sleeker and user friendly.

Only had two BSOD with windows 10 compared to windows 7 and that happened almost daily, leading me to believe it must be a software not hardware issue.

Well I took the plunge and Installed windows 10, coming from Windows 7 I don't like it at all, if anything it feels slower. I can see its an improvement on Windows 8 but in many aspects as a general user Windows 7 was unfussy, sleeker and user friendly.

Only had two BSOD with windows 10 compared to windows 7 and that happened almost daily, leading me to believe it must be a software not hardware issue.

I've had a couple of BSOD with W10, been using it since it was available, both in the video engine (not the driver).

I'm currently happy with W10 and have to run it anyway to test software that my users have - I develop on 8.1 and test on W10 and W7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived