New work permit exemptions to assist recruitment of health and social workers

commish

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the logic in this. The work permit system does not prevent health and social care organisations from employing new staff, it just encourages them to employ a Manx Worker if there is a suitable one available. By making exemptions like this, I think it might be the thin end of the wedge, and Manx Workers will soon have no protection.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really have a problem with healthcare workers being exempt (although it might be the lazy and cheaper option than training our own) it's more the relaxing the work permits across the board that has me worried - are they going to be background checked for crime?

More like provide an easy route for second and third class workers to enter while the better people bail out for better jobs or at least more secure future. It's all going down the pan - tick tock tick tock........

I agree its going down the pan.

Whats a healthcare worker anyway? A fillipino nurse, a Dominican Republic asswiper or a tuetonic criminal chancer with a certificate?

The sooner we and I mean manx people get their heads round the idea that this, relatively prior and successive administrations do not give a f**k about the indiginous population the sooner these bizarre policies make sense.

I am overun with immigrants and no one seems to give a s**t. Be it Eastern European, Asian, English or whatever they arrive without apparant hinderence and can't believe their luck no doubt. We have fillipino taxi drivers for heavens sake hardly a required key position.

The ice cream maker wants to be protected. Well I want to be protected as well from the chancers arriving here stealing money from me and my business.

If this situation wasn't so pathetic with powerful vested interests in bullshit positions seeking to keep the status quo in fear of their future income it would be laughable. When will a Manx politician stand up for his own? What must happen for some national integrity to enter politics? Who will stem the flow of money grabbing chancers arriving here without challenge? Is it too late as we are already a minority? What if every Manx person voted for you and because your a minority in your own land you still wouldn't get in? This I fear is already the reality.

Strengthen the work permit, check the criminal history of these immigrants properly, don't let every Tom, Dick and Abdul in without proper checks. Deport undesirables who break our laws quickly work for the indigenous people stop thinking of the money. Rant over.

What the f.... Do you read the crap you're writing?

Too many people seem to think there is this mythical tribe of Manx Workers, who live in the desolate outlands around Foxdale and are masters at any and all crafts and professions in the world, just waiting to be called upon. Instead of putting their amazing knowledge to use at the drop of a hat, they are left to starve while watching all those horrible immigrants take their jobs.

It's the same story in many countries, not just on this pretty isle. Buhu, that Polish dude took my job! Help, those evil Filipinos are taking all the nursing positions! Well, why do you think that is? Because nobody else would do the jobs. That's why! And don't even start on protectionist laws. They have no place in the modern capitalist market place the island likes to sell itself as. "Dear Mr Egaming Company Owner, you are welcome here, but you must employ Manxies, even if none of them have the skills you need". Fat chance of that working out.

Good people will always find good jobs, no matter where they are from. The genuinely vulnerable will be protected by the government. The rest better learn to swim, because just standing at the roadside and demanding that the government or ther world at large provide you with a living because of where you're from isn't gonna fly. Not in the pretty isle and not anywhere else.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a country protecting it's own.

Personally I would like to see an immigrant tax surcharge in addition to an NI surcharge to make employing immigrants financially less attractive and the monies so raised to help pay the costs of Nationals who saw their job opportunities being quite literally sold down the river.

Granted there would need to be a tightening of the benefit system but there are a whole lot more things than charity that should start at home.

Whats a healthcare worker anyway? A fillipino nurse, a Dominican Republic asswiper or a tuetonic criminal chancer with a certificate?

The sooner we and I mean manx people get their heads round the idea that this, relatively prior and successive administrations do not give a f**k about the indiginous population the sooner these bizarre policies make sense.

I am overun with immigrants and no one seems to give a s**t. Be it Eastern European, Asian, English or whatever they arrive without apparant hinderence and can't believe their luck no doubt. We have fillipino taxi drivers for heavens sake hardly a required key position.

The ice cream maker wants to be protected. Well I want to be protected as well from the chancers arriving here stealing money from me and my business.

If this situation wasn't so pathetic with powerful vested interests in bullshit positions seeking to keep the status quo in fear of their future income it would be laughable. When will a Manx politician stand up for his own? What must happen for some national integrity to enter politics? Who will stem the flow of money grabbing chancers arriving here without challenge? Is it too late as we are already a minority? What if every Manx person voted for you and because your a minority in your own land you still wouldn't get in? This I fear is already the reality.

Strengthen the work permit, check the criminal history of these immigrants properly, don't let every Tom, Dick and Abdul in without proper checks. Deport undesirables who break our laws quickly work for the indigenous people stop thinking of the money. Rant over.

Rant over indeed. It would be hard to find any more bullshit really.

The reality of it is that Healthcare Assistants get paid shit money. My mum is one, working at the hospital. The reality is that it is not a profession you would want to engage a career in so what are you left with? Vacancies filled by people who will. Who don't need to think about the long term and buyign a house etc. You increase the salary £10k a year and you won't need migrant workers. But that doesn't happen.

As for Taxi driving immigrants - you can blame greedy taxi owners. They take the cream (weekends) for themselves then want the cab on the road the rest of the week taking half the money. So, you have too many cabs, not enough work, and no decent living to me made unless you can include the weekend. Result - only people prepared to work the cabs off peak are old people who are bored and immigrants thankful for £200 a week.

The Manx population still have plenty on influence on elected officials. Whether they can be arsed to vote is another matter.

What the f.... Do you read the crap you're writing?

Too many people seem to think there is this mythical tribe of Manx Workers, who live in the desolate outlands around Foxdale and are masters at any and all crafts and professions in the world, just waiting to be called upon. Instead of putting their amazing knowledge to use at the drop of a hat, they are left to starve while watching all those horrible immigrants take their jobs.

It's the same story in many countries, not just on this pretty isle. Buhu, that Polish dude took my job! Help, those evil Filipinos are taking all the nursing positions! Well, why do you think that is? Because nobody else would do the jobs. That's why! And don't even start on protectionist laws. They have no place in the modern capitalist market place the island likes to sell itself as. "Dear Mr Egaming Company Owner, you are welcome here, but you must employ Manxies, even if none of them have the skills you need". Fat chance of that working out.

Good people will always find good jobs, no matter where they are from. The genuinely vulnerable will be protected by the government. The rest better learn to swim, because just standing at the roadside and demanding that the government or ther world at large provide you with a living because of where you're from isn't gonna fly. Not in the pretty isle and not anywhere else.

It isn't because nobody else will do the job - that's the myth - it's because they are cheaper and undercut everyone else.

When exactly are the genuinely vulnerable protected?

Your right in that it's not just this Isle, things seem to be happening in Germany right now -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-unnerved-by-scores-of-xenophobic-attacks-against-refugees/2015/08/16/eada9284-3fb1-11e5-b2c4-af4c6183b8b4_story.html

Rant over indeed. It would be hard to find any more bullshit really.

The reality of it is that Healthcare Assistants get paid shit money. My mum is one, working at the hospital. The reality is that it is not a profession you would want to engage a career in so what are you left with? Vacancies filled by people who will. Who don't need to think about the long term and buyign a house etc. You increase the salary £10k a year and you won't need migrant workers. But that doesn't happen.

As for Taxi driving immigrants - you can blame greedy taxi owners. They take the cream (weekends) for themselves then want the cab on the road the rest of the week taking half the money. So, you have too many cabs, not enough work, and no decent living to me made unless you can include the weekend. Result - only people prepared to work the cabs off peak are old people who are bored and immigrants thankful for £200 a week.

The Manx population still have plenty on influence on elected officials. Whether they can be arsed to vote is another matter.

The point on the taxi drivers is that it isn't exactly a skilled position is it and yet we have lots of foreign drivers - how did that happen when they are supposed to get a work permit to fill a vacant skilled position?

Once again where is the other half of the population when it comes time to vote?

Personally I would like to see an immigrant tax surcharge in addition to an NI surcharge to make employing immigrants financially less attractive and the monies so raised to help pay the costs of Nationals who saw their job opportunities being quite literally sold down the river.

Granted there would need to be a tightening of the benefit system but there are a whole lot more things than charity that should start at home.

Also considering we only get free healthcare with the UK and don't get it anywhere else in the E.U. etc. why don't the people not from the UK who come here to live have to pay for their healthcare as we would have to in their country (if we can get in without having to spend years in the UK first)?

Also considering we only get free healthcare with the UK and don't get it anywhere else in the E.U. etc. why don't the people not from the UK who come here to live have to pay for their healthcare as we would have to in their country (if we can get in without having to spend years in the UK first)?

Because NHS provision is based on country of residence.

Archived