New work permit exemptions to assist recruitment of health and social workers

commish

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a country protecting it's own.

Personally I would like to see an immigrant tax surcharge in addition to an NI surcharge to make employing immigrants financially less attractive and the monies so raised to help pay the costs of Nationals who saw their job opportunities being quite literally sold down the river.

Granted there would need to be a tightening of the benefit system but there are a whole lot more things than charity that should start at home.

I would like to see you nailed to a tree but that's not going to happen either.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would like to see an immigrant tax surcharge in addition to an NI surcharge to make employing immigrants financially less attractive and the monies so raised to help pay the costs of Nationals who saw their job opportunities being quite literally sold down the river.

Granted there would need to be a tightening of the benefit system but there are a whole lot more things than charity that should start at home.

Also considering we only get free healthcare with the UK and don't get it anywhere else in the E.U. etc. why don't the people not from the UK who come here to live have to pay for their healthcare as we would have to in their country (if we can get in without having to spend years in the UK first)?

Because NHS provision is based on country of residence.

Should it be though? - not exactly equality is it?

@ Notwell: You increase the salary £10k a year and you won't need migrant workers.

Or of course stop allowing people to make the lifestyle choice of sitting on their dead end and paying them to do so for decades in some cases. How often do we hear "It isn't worth me going to work. I'm better off on benefits." That should not be an option. Just stop paying them. Amazing what people can achieve when they are not being wet nursed. As for increasing salaries by £10k a year for the low paid and of course maintaining differentials for those above them, are we prepared to pay for the inflated prices that will result?

Is this a sex thing?

Is this a sex thing?

No, but if you have a plentiful supply of radishes then do as you feel fit.

Is this a sex thing?

I always do.

Is this a sex thing?

I feel that I must warn you, radishes give me gas.

I agree its going down the pan.

Whats a healthcare worker anyway? A fillipino nurse, a Dominican Republic asswiper or a tuetonic criminal chancer with a certificate?

The sooner we and I mean manx people get their heads round the idea that this, relatively prior and successive administrations do not give a f**k about the indiginous population the sooner these bizarre policies make sense.

I am overun with immigrants and no one seems to give a s**t. Be it Eastern European, Asian, English or whatever they arrive without apparant hinderence and can't believe their luck no doubt. We have fillipino taxi drivers for heavens sake hardly a required key position.

The ice cream maker wants to be protected. Well I want to be protected as well from the chancers arriving here stealing money from me and my business.

If this situation wasn't so pathetic with powerful vested interests in bullshit positions seeking to keep the status quo in fear of their future income it would be laughable. When will a Manx politician stand up for his own? What must happen for some national integrity to enter politics? Who will stem the flow of money grabbing chancers arriving here without challenge? Is it too late as we are already a minority? What if every Manx person voted for you and because your a minority in your own land you still wouldn't get in? This I fear is already the reality.

Strengthen the work permit, check the criminal history of these immigrants properly, don't let every Tom, Dick and Abdul in without proper checks. Deport undesirables who break our laws quickly work for the indigenous people stop thinking of the money. Rant over.

Rant over indeed. It would be hard to find any more bullshit really.

The reality of it is that Healthcare Assistants get paid shit money. My mum is one, working at the hospital. The reality is that it is not a profession you would want to engage a career in so what are you left with? Vacancies filled by people who will. Who don't need to think about the long term and buyign a house etc. You increase the salary £10k a year and you won't need migrant workers. But that doesn't happen.

As for Taxi driving immigrants - you can blame greedy taxi owners. They take the cream (weekends) for themselves then want the cab on the road the rest of the week taking half the money. So, you have too many cabs, not enough work, and no decent living to me made unless you can include the weekend. Result - only people prepared to work the cabs off peak are old people who are bored and immigrants thankful for £200 a week.

The Manx population still have plenty on influence on elected officials. Whether they can be arsed to vote is another matter.

The point on the taxi drivers is that it isn't exactly a skilled position is it and yet we have lots of foreign drivers - how did that happen when they are supposed to get a work permit to fill a vacant skilled position?

Once again where is the other half of the population when it comes time to vote?

Maybe because nobody wants to work as a fucking taxi driver? You can't force people, you know. Christ sake...

Fact is if all "immigarnts" leave the isle tomorrow, the place will collapse.

Positions taken by all those horrible smelly immigrants were open to anyone, but either no Manxies were able or willing to fill them. That's called a free market, which is skewed already in favor of locals. How much more help would you like? Minimum wage and other laws are there to prevent abuse. Then it's down to the individuals to make something out of it or to just sit there and complain. Maybe those smelly immigrants simply have more motivation and a better work ethic to do something and better themselves.

The job center site currently lists 846 vacancies. Anyone who wants to fiond a job can do so:

https://www.gov.im/ded/jobcentre/searchResults.aspx?areaID=null&classID=null&searchTxt=null&dates=all&FT_PT=null&SearchName=&SavedSearchID=

As for the original point, health and social work is tough, backbreaking work with long hours and positions are always hard to fill. Makes sense to make this easier. The primary consideration must be what is best for the patients and vulnerable people who require the skills provided by health and social workers, and towards whom the government has a duty of care, not what's best for jobless Billy Quayle down in Peel.

Has everyone forgotten how the influx from the Philippines came about?

A local care home was unable to recruit staff for these low status low paid jobs and so they began a process of firstly proving same to IOM Govt/Work Permits so jobs were heavily advertised locally and the results shown as proof...

Secondly, they tried to recruit in the UK and the results shown...Thirdly, they tried to recruit in the EU and again the results were shown.

There then followed three stages of application to recruit outside of the Island/UK/EU..This involved getting the agreement of IOM Govt. Getting approval of EU via the UK Govt. I think the matter had to go up to the European Commission and of course this involves the Island as employment and work permits is covered by the relationship with "Europe" under Protocol 3.

Finally, they were given permission to recruit free of the usual IOM/UK/EU obligations...But still they could not discriminate and even though they recruited in the Philippines they advertised on the Island and we saw these adverts in the "Examiner" some written in a totally foreign language.

These foreign language ads were for care staff written in the language of the Philippines.

The fact that such a long process was entered into would seem to prove the sheer impossibility of getting recruits on the Island. What a procedure they had to go through!

I worked with people from the Philippines and they could believe their luck! The wages in their home land would not cover a few ales in a Manx pub.

One man I worked with at the Villa Marina was there as a cleaner. He was on £10 an hour working for IOM Govt effectively. I was on £6.50 an hour as a night watchman. He and his wife on the Island had saved about £70,000 working all hours and living in a commune. His previous job was as a soldier in Philippine special forces on £40 a month taking on insurgents in Mindanao where he came from. Working on the IOM gave him a paid for house and two patches of land to grow rice and back home he was seen as very wealthy..

Both he and his wife took every chance to learn English and where possible learn more at the College. So far as I know they had two children born on the Island.

The fact that such a procedure had to be gone through to get care staff shows that basically not many people want these jobs. It was not easy to get there.

Since then of course the Island along with the UK has entered into a limited reciprocal Social Security agreement with the Philippines. Not as good as the one with the UK but there it is! You can see it on line or could at one time anyway.

Matters have gone too far now in many other respects so as to be changed by a "jobs for the Manx send 'em back home attitude"

Cut benefits and get people to work.

Refuse work if a person is capable of doing it and NO benefits whatsoever. It really is that simple, especially as there is minimum wage legislation and if people don't like the standard of living that they can afford then either improve their employability - or live with it.

And don't anyone think for a second that I don't absolutely mean it.

@ Amadeus: Maybe because nobody wants to work as a fucking taxi driver? You can't force people, you know. Christ sake...

OK, so it's acceptable to refuse work that is available and live on other people who are working for no other reason than you don't want to do it? Tough shit. What happened to pride, dignity and shame? I don't want to pay for able bodied people to sit on their arses and do nothing.

Cut benefits and get people to work.

Refuse work if a person is capable of doing it and NO benefits whatsoever. It really is that simple, especially as there is minimum wage legislation and if people don't like the standard of living that they can afford then either improve their employability - or live with it.

And don't anyone think for a second that I don't absolutely mean it.

We know you mean it. That's why we pity you....

No doubt you will applaud this farrago as well

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/18/dwp-admits-making-up-positive-quotes-from-benefits-claimants-for-leaflet

Archived