New work permit exemptions to assist recruitment of health and social workers

commish

15000 workers, could mean 1000s of partners,1000s of children, some grandparents, where are the jobs with only 800 plus vacancies.

Then the pressure on the schools, Doctors surgeries, Dental care, where are all the houses coming from to house these people, they can't all buy with the high prices here, so it would mean council houses needed, what about the current waiting lists?, we don't have enough for them.

When people decide to move they check the cost of living first, a check on the cost of gas, electricity, fuel, food, here will put them off right away, now if there were a influx of say 5000 a year, it would still bring about a big waiting time for every service.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"....so it would mean council houses needed, what about the current waiting lists?, we don't have enough for them."

You have to be residentially qualified to put your name down for social housing, so the newcomers wouldn't have a direct impact, at least not for some time.

15000 workers, could mean 1000s of partners,1000s of children, some grandparents, where are the jobs with only 800 plus vacancies.

Then the pressure on the schools, Doctors surgeries, Dental care, where are all the houses coming from to house these people, they can't all buy with the high prices here, so it would mean council houses needed, what about the current waiting lists?, we don't have enough for them.

When people decide to move they check the cost of living first, a check on the cost of gas, electricity, fuel, food, here will put them off right away, now if there were a influx of say 5000 a year, it would still bring about a big waiting time for every service.

It's more than that. We have not been successful at attracting the big salary workers at all in the last 25 years. If we get 15,000 new residents all earning the current average Manx wage of £29,000 they won't be paying enough in tax - especially if they are coming with family and we have to provide schooling, health care, dental, housing and god knows what else for the pittance we get back in taxes.

If you get one working man at £30,000 a year in a job here he gets his non working wife's allowance so the first £20,000 is basically not taxed. Then he pays 20% of the remaining £10,000 which is £2.000 a year. It would probably cost us £4,000 a year to provide services to him, his wife, and his 2.4 kids. Even if the spouse earns the same amount we're probably at break even.

Unless these jobs are well into the £50,000 a year category we are deluding ourselves that it will do anything other than cost us money. It's negative immigration - immigration we just don't want. The best solution would be to focus on the media and attract a load of rich gay people on £100k plus who won't bring a load of dependants with them who will drain us dry.

It's more than that. We have not been successful at attracting the big salary workers at all in the last 25 years. If we get 15,000 new residents all earning the current average Manx wage of £29,000 they won't be paying enough in tax - especially if they are coming with family and we have to provide schooling, health care, dental, housing and god knows what else for the pittance we get back in taxes.

If you get one working man at £30,000 a year in a job here he gets his non working wife's allowance so the first £20,000 is basically not taxed. Then he pays 20% of the remaining £10,000 which is £2.000 a year. It would probably cost us £4,000 a year to provide services to him, his wife, and his 2.4 kids. Even if the spouse earns the same amount we're probably at break even.

Unless these jobs are well into the £50,000 a year category we are deluding ourselves that it will do anything other than cost us money. It's negative immigration - immigration we just don't want. The best solution would be to focus on the media and attract a load of rich gay people on £100k plus who won't bring a load of dependants with them who will drain us dry.

That post gets my vote for Post of the Year.

So true, so very true.

You know exactly where all the houses will come from.

Don't forget 15,000 new workers need several hundred new companies, which in turn need several hundred thousand new customers to generate several hundred new £millions from which they will pay salaries, VAT and some other taxes.

It's easy to say, not that easy to achieve, especially when the current economy is actually declining and less people are working here than 2 years ago. At present, it's hard enough to just replace the jobs we've lost.

I can't believe someone so naive purports to represent businesses here, let alone became their spokesperson.

I am happy to hear that there is a demand in IT employees. This still gives me a chance wink.png And I have no criminal past thank god!

To be more on topic (and I probably don't even have a right of speech since I don't live there).

When there is no one from the Island that can fulfill a job then it would be a shame not to recruit somewhere else. Ofcourse good and skilled people and not just anyone.

If they would not recruit from outside IOM or UK, you would lose even more midwives or care takers. That would be a shame to be honest. Here in Holland health care jobs are also underpaid and it is getting harder to find people to fullfill the jobs. I rather have an "immigrant" who is qualified that can help me then no one at all.

The 15.000 extra workers that has ben said on the radio seems a bit over the top for such a small island, but that might be me not knowing exactly how many job vacancies there are.

When I visit IOM i do see a lot of people from the Philippines, but mostly in the Douglas area. Do you guys notice a big change in job offers since they arrived?

Has the Goverment also tried to pay for schooling Manx people into health care? And get locals for the jobs this way?

You have more than a chance,I'll be amazed if you can't find work,You'll probably get a very decent choice of job.

You can have an opinion ,it's a public forum.

Don't forget the families of the 15,000 workers, we could be looking more at about 30,000 over a decade.

The Filipinos haven't been a problem so far, but I guess it goes with your last point of - are the government doing enough to get Manx people into healthcare (they do seem to be doing that with the police recently).

I'm more concerned about the people that are causing crime in the UK.

Who is it causing crime in Holland?

Are you a motorbike fan? - Is that the reason for the move?

Don't forget 15,000 new workers need several hundred new companies, which in turn need several hundred thousand new customers to generate several hundred new £millions from which they will pay salaries, VAT and some other taxes.

It's easy to say, not that easy to achieve, especially when the current economy is actually declining and less people are working here than 2 years ago. At present, it's hard enough to just replace the jobs we've lost.

I can't believe someone so naive purports to represent businesses here, let alone became their spokesperson.

Me neither. I am amazed at the C of C on this. In fact, as I posted the other day, Jane Dellar is on record as saying it's a simple mathematical calculation. I think the big word in that is "simple". It's not sufficiently thought through. OMF covers a lot of the points in his post above. The problem at the root of this, and it isn't peculiar to the Island, is that even if you create the 15,000 new jobs, they are unlikely to be paying sufficient to yield the taxes required in the calculation. It might be useful if the C of C or our leaders would publish the projected average rate of pay for these workers that would give viability to their plans. Otherwise, there is a danger of it being a fools paradise behind the cloak of which spending goes on in the vain belief that "the plan" will provide funds to replace a substantial part of the missing VAT.

I am happy to hear that there is a demand in IT employees. This still gives me a chance wink.png And I have no criminal past thank god!

To be more on topic (and I probably don't even have a right of speech since I don't live there).

When there is no one from the Island that can fulfill a job then it would be a shame not to recruit somewhere else. Ofcourse good and skilled people and not just anyone.

If they would not recruit from outside IOM or UK, you would lose even more midwives or care takers. That would be a shame to be honest. Here in Holland health care jobs are also underpaid and it is getting harder to find people to fullfill the jobs. I rather have an "immigrant" who is qualified that can help me then no one at all.

The 15.000 extra workers that has ben said on the radio seems a bit over the top for such a small island, but that might be me not knowing exactly how many job vacancies there are.

When I visit IOM i do see a lot of people from the Philippines, but mostly in the Douglas area. Do you guys notice a big change in job offers since they arrived?

Has the Goverment also tried to pay for schooling Manx people into health care? And get locals for the jobs this way?

You have more than a chance,I'll be amazed if you can't find work,You'll probably get a very decent choice of job.

You can have an opinion ,it's a public forum.

Don't forget the families of the 15,000 workers, we could be looking more at about 30,000 over a decade.

The Filipinos haven't been a problem so far, but I guess it goes with your last point of - are the government doing enough to get Manx people into healthcare (they do seem to be doing that with the police recently).

I'm more concerned about the people that are causing crime in the UK.

Who is it causing crime in Holland?

Are you a motorbike fan? - Is that the reason for the move?

That is a lot of people moving in to IOM over a decade. But have to see if it is really going to happen.

In Holland you got all sorts. If you look at statistics it's mostly Turkish and Maroccan people. But don't be fooled by ower own population.

I am a motorbike fan and I ride one myself, but that is not the reason. The reason is that my little boy is living there for almost a year and I would like to look into te possibilities to move so I can see him more than 4 times a year. This is also why I am interested in this topic and how the Island is progressing.

I know that there is hardly any crime on IOM so it would be nice to keep it like this. I shall be following it all closely.

Archived