New work permit exemptions to assist recruitment of health and social workers

commish

Lagman! You are in some ways right about the undercutting...

The workers from the Philippines, many of them anyway in my time, used to share a house in large numbers and live in a commune...

They shared a car or people carrier...They shared looking after children, taking them to school, shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc..

They shared housing costs, bought supplies in bulk and it was said some living places were too full of people and not really lawful...

As workers at the Villa Marina said to me "You can't compete with them!"...

Most of us live as individuals or individual families and not as some tribal village...Therefore we need more money but the migrants can spread the cost and save more.

They actually have quite a spending power..(This is how it was when I worked amongst them up until 2008)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true. Entrepreneurial Asians coming to Britain in the 60s and 70s generally built up business empires by starting small, often a corner shop, and all the family pitching in to "open all hours" and spending very little on themselves. By this means, before too long they could have a chain of stores all still run by family. Didn't take long to make millions if you were prepared to dedicate like that back then. The work ethic is admirable.

Many white British and Afro-Caribbeans (and some Asians have caught the disease) tend to want a lot easier life than that, and for a proportion, if it means being funded by the taxpayer then so be it. Whose fault is that though if the state is crazy enough to fund it?

Hi Woolley! Have the Turkish barbers arrived over there yet?

They are the major influx at the moment and very good they are too! They are better than the usual home-grown barbers etc (For men that is)...

They still do it the old fashioned way like you see on the old American movies...Lot of fuss with burning tapers, thread not blades, and very precise techniques.

I noticed they use one time disposable blades for ears, nose etc...Cheaper than the home grown at £7 and open seven days a week including all our holidays they never close.

They do the old wet shaves as a matter of course. Only thing is they don't do the "in chair" massage as they do in Turkey.. Doubtless one day their offspring will become assimilated if they do not become doctors, surgeons, barristers etc first.

If the Turks get in there then that Smith firm will be challenged.

@ Barrie: I don't think we have any Turkish barbers as yet but I'm not an authority. Never used Smith's. Their shops don't appeal. I've been a bit nomadic barbers wise since poor old Leucio went to the great barber's shop in the sky. Nice man. Not really settled anywhere since but have found plenty of unreliable ones. Shut when they say they're open etc.

@ Amadeus: Maybe because nobody wants to work as a fucking taxi driver? You can't force people, you know. Christ sake...

OK, so it's acceptable to refuse work that is available and live on other people who are working for no other reason than you don't want to do it? Tough shit. What happened to pride, dignity and shame? I don't want to pay for able bodied people to sit on their arses and do nothing.

Huh? That's not what I meant. Someone pointed out all the immigrants who apparently have the audacity to drive taxis on the island. My point was that if you suddenly banned all of them from driving cabs, 'locals' probably wouldn't race to fill those jobs as they wouldn't want to do that type of work, and you can't force them to do it. The whole "evil immigrants take poor manxies jobs" thing is bullshit, bascially.

Why can people who are unemployed not be required to undertake work they are capable of doing or lose all tax payer support and face other sanctions?

Well, I wouldn't work any random unemployed bloke driving a taxi just because he has nothing better to do, but the idea itself isn't that bad or new. Back in the Heimatland, they introduced the Ein Euro Jobs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_opportunities_with_additional_expenses_compensation

Just a thought. Not sure about social workers but regarding health workers, perhaps if the employer didn't treat some of them so badly they were forced to leave then the need to recruit more wouldn't be as necessary.

Work permits were brought in originally to protect our local construction workers, particularly in the boom building times of the 70's when Irish and other workers were putting ours out of jobs.

In recent years we have lost hard to recruit midwives and nurses (and probably teachers) because of all the hoops they have to jump through to get work permits here. Plus they cannot get jobs for their partners/spouses. They are in demand all over the UK - why go through all the hassle of hurdling the Work Permit system to come to a place where their partner may not be able to work, when they can easily get jobs anywhere else in the UK or the rest of the world?

Hi all,

I am new here and following this discussion. I am from Holland and trying to find out how welcome I am in the Isle of Man as a worker.

It seems that the Manx people have a first right to jobs, which seems to be fair, but is there any chance for me to even find and get a job? Especially in the IT business? I am fully qualifiied but it seems that the chance of getting a job is very slim.

Hi all,

I am new here and following this discussion. I am from Holland and trying to find out how welcome I am in the Isle of Man as a worker.

It seems that the Manx people have a first right to jobs, which seems to be fair, but is there any chance for me to even find and get a job? Especially in the IT business? I am fully qualifiied but it seems that the chance of getting a job is very slim.

IT? - you will be snapped up in a heartbeat, one of the main reasons to the change of the work permits system is a shortage in healthcare workers and skilled IT workers (might want to try the E-gaming companies for a start).Will you be welcome? - probably, it's not exactly people from Holland we are worried about.Any newbie needs to know this site is our Daily Mail comments section, it isn't for the easily offended.This thread and most of the others are to complain about our government (like most other places) we need it to vent.

Hi all,

Well, there's a bike in the morning. thumbsup.gif

Hi all,

IT? - you will be snapped up in a heartbeat, one of the main reasons to the change of the work permits system is a shortage in healthcare workers and skilled IT workers (might want to try the E-gaming companies for a start).Will you be welcome? - probably, it's not exactly people from Holland we are worried about.Any newbie needs to know this site is our Daily Mail comments section, it isn't for the easily offended.This thread and most of the others are to complain about our government (like most other places) we need it to vent.

Also I'm not sure Manx people have first rights to jobs (hence the complaining).You are a skilled worker anyway, that isn;t what people are worried about, it's the proposed attempt to increase the population by many thousands (and if we have the infrastructure to handle it) and the unskilled jobs, background checks etc. I think people are concerned about.

Work permits were brought in originally to protect our local construction workers, particularly in the boom building times of the 70's when Irish and other workers were putting ours out of jobs.

In recent years we have lost hard to recruit midwives and nurses (and probably teachers) because of all the hoops they have to jump through to get work permits here. Plus they cannot get jobs for their partners/spouses. They are in demand all over the UK - why go through all the hassle of hurdling the Work Permit system to come to a place where their partner may not be able to work, when they can easily get jobs anywhere else in the UK or the rest of the world?

That is a fair point.

I am happy to hear that there is a demand in IT employees. This still gives me a chance wink.png And I have no criminal past thank god!

To be more on topic (and I probably don't even have a right of speech since I don't live there).

When there is no one from the Island that can fulfill a job then it would be a shame not to recruit somewhere else. Ofcourse good and skilled people and not just anyone.

If they would not recruit from outside IOM or UK, you would lose even more midwives or care takers. That would be a shame to be honest. Here in Holland health care jobs are also underpaid and it is getting harder to find people to fullfill the jobs. I rather have an "immigrant" who is qualified that can help me then no one at all.

The 15.000 extra workers that has ben said on the radio seems a bit over the top for such a small island, but that might be me not knowing exactly how many job vacancies there are.

When I visit IOM i do see a lot of people from the Philippines, but mostly in the Douglas area. Do you guys notice a big change in job offers since they arrived?

Has the Goverment also tried to pay for schooling Manx people into health care? And get locals for the jobs this way?

Archived