Gas Prices to Fall

Zammo Maguire

They have 46000 customers.

People are moaning about not being able to afford their gas bill. Do you think they can afford 4000 quid to move?

It'll be minor numbers. Less than 1 % I'd imagine.

how can they have 46000 customers?? are there even 46000 properties/addresses on the island??? that is less than 2 residents per address, not likely at all. unless they count a family of 5 with one invoice as 5 customers?? and even if there are 46000 properties, they won't all be on gas, lots of apartments on the prom are electric only, no gas or oil. have you added a '0'??

in the band F range of properties I would expect those sort of users to be the ones that can afford 4k to move on, after all manx gas assume they can afford 400 quid for fuck all every year!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can simply turn off gas and put an extra jumper on though. I know a few people who have. This move will cost them regardless.

Not really. They'll be cold out of principal. The house will get damp. And when less gas is used (and it's unseasonably warm as it is) Manx Gas Will up the tariff.

On the plus side the lesser users are being subsidised by the biggest customers anyway.

Imagine if we all had to pay a genuine fair share based on the actual cost of getting it to us?

They have 46000 customers.

People are moaning about not being able to afford their gas bill. Do you think they can afford 4000 quid to move?

It'll be minor numbers. Less than 1 % I'd imagine.

I think there's a plumbing and heating company out there missing a huge trick. Oil is set to go even lower in the new year. Anyone offering conversions to oil en masse could make a real killing. Price the cost to convert 'all in' and do an interest free payment deal over 5 years and you'd make an absolute killing. There would be finance companies out there prepared to do the finance as there would be a stampede of hundreds willing to make the move as they'd still save loads over the next 5 years even after paying for the £5k or so cost interest free over the same period.

Where do I sign?

They can simply turn off gas and put an extra jumper on though. I know a few people who have. This move will cost them regardless.

Imagine if we all had to pay a genuine fair share based on the actual cost of getting it to us?

I'd suggest that in light of the fact that IOMG stumped up @ £23M for the gas distribution network upgrade, we are all having a pretty good attempt at paying for it already. And some of us don't even use domestic gas.

And some don't pay any tax and do use it. What's your point?

Some not paying any tax (and a lot more paying far too little) is arguably the root cause of rather too many of the IoM's ills.

That and whatever other pies IoMG have decided to thrust their disaster-prone fingers into and get involved with in the last 20-odd years.

Gas network, MEA, Pinewood and whatever else you can think of to add on to the list. The promises that have been spun about sustainable, affordable energy and returns. All of which have lead, almost without exception, to the common denominators of financial waste and legacies of debt that the majority of normal income and tax-paying IoM consumers are left to try and clear for generations to come.

Leaving energy costs which by themselves are one of the single biggest deterrents to inward investment for the manufacturing and other enterprise needed to be established to maintain jobs and the economy for the future.

And maybe, just maybe, those who are paying tax are starting to see the light and have had enough?

3.5% is a token gesture that doesn't come close to reflecting the fall nay, near collapse, in wholesale gas prices. The fact remains that Quirk's OFT has not only allowed Manx Gas to massively hike the standing charges in an act of blatant theft, but has allowed them to redefine what a standing charge actually even is. People should remember that when they see Dave Molyneux spending their money on his expensive motorcycle hobby and that shiny big tent that will sit in Nobles for most of the summer just to rub peoples noses in it every time they drive down Glencrutchery Road. And if Quirk is seen anywhere near that fucking tent in 2016 I'll jump over the fence myself and turf him out.

MG customers should hang on to all of the receipt stubs from their bills and come TT waltz into the hospitality suite crony grooming facility on Glencrutchery Road, present the stubs to which ever chinless wonder looks like he might be in charge and start quaffing vast amounts of smoked salmon pate, champagne etc until too stuffed to be removed. Hell, take a doggy bag home for the family as you're likely to be the only person in there who has paid towards the whole jollie fest.

Archived