Entrepreneur Dies

slinkydevil

And how many in Govt. he allegedly had dropped in the shit because they didn't fall into his line on his view of issues (and I can think of one)?

I'm absolutely sure, he and people like him expose our weaknesses all the time. Yet we still elect the same turnip heads time after time and never bring them to account! We employ the same soft headed CS chiefs and never bring them to account!

Gubay....Ferguson Lacey....how many others have our elected greats fawned to and sold out to in their time?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its ironic, that on death, his fortune apparently passes to the church and charity, but in life he could act in neither a charitable or Christian manner.

It's the Catholic Church: you may as well say that you've left half your money to child molesters.

It will certainly help with the legal fees.

Its ironic, that on death, his fortune apparently passes to the church and charity, but in life he could act in neither a charitable or Christian manner.

It's the Catholic Church: you may as well say that you've left half your money to child molesters.

It will certainly help with the legal fees.

Yes, and the multi million pound compensation payments.

I am sure his family and those who received his hand outs thought Gubay was a lovely man, but in my view he was an unpleasant, manipulative and aggressive bully who used his money and threats to get his own way.

The Guardian article gives a good insight how he worked. Basically he threw money and threats around to intimidate people and to stop people challenge him even if they were in the right. He would happily defend the indefensible knowing that he had deep pockets and that only those with equally deep pockets could afford not to fold. He was very much in the mould of Maxwell and others who have used their money, threats and the costs of going to court to suppress unfavourable comment.

Yes he splashed the cash on some good causes but it was cash he did not need and in the case of the Papal Knighthood it seemed very much a case of buying something in return.

Was he a good business man? Well he might have been at the start but not by the end. His property empire suffered as it was a standard question around Douglas when renting a property if it was owned by Gubay and if it was you stood well clear and looked elsewhere. It was not worth the risk of getting into a dispute with a man who seemed to take pleasure from trying to prove he was untouchable because of his deep pockets.

I have dealt with many hard, tough business man and yes they may have been ruthless but in general they were also fair and respectful. Gubay as I have said was neither of those in the period I have had dealings. He was simply a bully.

I hope now the truth will now finally come out. Not because people have axes to grind or false allegations to make but just because people can speak honestly without the fear of intimidation

Deep down he's a great guy.

Hopefully 12ft down...just to make sure.

Go Roly. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Gubay - tawt tawt cnut cnut cnut.

We really need a comedy night dedicated to Roly. I suggest the title 'Ding Dong...'.

Someone start it...a herd will follow?

I wonder what is happening at the pearly gates now? Perhaps, something like 'nah, you've got the wrong trainers on'.

Whatever I doubt it will have anything to do with Gubay unless it is Roly looking out and laughing his butt off as Gubay heads rapidly in the opposite direction.

I can only speak as I found him in the few times I had any dealings with Albert Gubay. If you let him take advantage he would, it seemed that as long as you were right and stood your ground he was fine. It turned out that on those three or four occasions where it could have turned nasty, he apologised and we moved on.

I think it was in his nature to challenge everything and people needed to know this before getting involved with him. We haven't had many people like that on the island but there are a lot of them around and someone will pop up sooner or later to take his place.

It's bound to happen as we are suckers to the likes of them.

Archived