Those McCann's at it again

rmanx

The only question you have to ask is "why has the UK Government invested £11 Million (and counting) and countless Police hours (ever growing) on one "missing" child?"

If you can't come up with a reasonable answer, then the only logical conclusion is that there is a lot more going on than a simple missing child

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the religion debate - the agnostics are accused by the believers of hiding from the evidence that the believers know to be true, and agnosticism isn't accepted as a legitimate point of view: we're the ones who have been taken in; as Quilp says oh the irony.

My position on this issue is doubt, I do not think anyone has enough evidence to justify the vitriol and obsession this case generates. ... Those whose job it is to collect, weigh up evidence and prosecute people don't agree that any case has been made.

Until they do and that case is heard, overcomes a defence and is accepted by a jury I'm honest enough to say I don't know the details.

a fine analogy chinahand and sure to appeal to the quilpsters agnostic spirit, only trouble is you have got the sides the wrong way round. you and quilp are the religious zealots in reality you arent really questioning, just accepting

I accept I don't have nearly enough knowledge to go on a public forum and make any accusation or insinuations about what happened in this case.

I am fascinated with, but disturbed by, the mindset of those who think they do.

Stinky are you really saying I am being a religious zealot for thinking like this?

Can you try again Stinky, that doesn't make sense to me.

Life is about priorities and arranging your priorities to ensure you are able to fulfil your potential.

I accept that I'm not going to spend enough time to be able to have an informed opinion on this issue. The evidence simply isn't available - unlike a flat earth!

I also think it is highly unlikely that someone sitting behind a computer in the Isle of Man is going to be able to gather enough information to do this either.

You clearly disagree, and really that is the main issue between us - don't bombard me with other people's blogs or youtube videos, rather you need to explain why you think these are better than the official investigation. Why should I take them seriously.

You think I'm accepting a flawed police investigation when I should be questioning it.

Dilligaf's statement about class went to the heart of the matter.

Stinky, my understanding is you, Dilligaf etc think the establishment is being manipulated by, or is protecting, the McCanns and they are using their position to stymie a proper investigation. I'm being a sheep for accepting the official investigation.

I don't think this is an evidence based point of view, but you are the person calling me an unquestioning religious zealot!

you brought up the religious analogy you big poo poo head. take three hail marys and re read your post that i quoted. other than that im prepared to agree to disagree on the rest china. im above this shit im a scientist for god's sake

The only question you have to ask is "why has the UK Government invested £11 Million (and counting) and countless Police hours (ever growing) on one "missing" child?"

If you can't come up with a reasonable answer, then the only logical conclusion is that there is a lot more going on than a simple missing child

Using your logic, perhaps. The McCann case brought into perspective the failings of the PJ and their almost amateurish conduct during the investigation. It also high-lighted the ludicrous and unhelpful involvement of the European media machine who, when faced with the stone-walling of the PJ, filled in the gaps themselves with all the usual gusto. The British police involvement was also less than assuring. They failed to correct the media outlets regarding the (UK) DNA results and allowed the frenzy to continue even when they knew the DNA results proved zilch against the McCann's.

You may find that a considerable amount of the costs went on processing the mis-leading and woefully in-adequate PJ investigation and false assumptions made by them. For sure, the PJ were less than impressed by the involvement of Scotland Yard and were anything but helpful. Professional rivalry, etc.

Madeleine's abduction and disappearance also brought to light the Belgian and French paedophile rings who operate across Europe with apparent impunity. Scotland Yard expanded the operation in Portugal to include follow-ups in these two countries. Again more costly but evidence against 'others' was gathered so the operating costs were not just incurred by the McCann investigation so it's hardly a waste of resources.

Then again, if a ''reasonable answer'' cannot be found then make it up.

So your answer is "the Portugese Police are rubbish...so the UK Government spent £11 million (and counting)" ....for one child...

What's the average spent on a missing child, for context? I can't tell from reading this thread whether they're spending more to try to uncover the truth, or less to try to cover it all up.

They spent £95 million investigating journalists listening to B list celebrities' voice mails - your point is?

When the average spend per missing child is £2,500 and the spend on MM is in excess of £11 Million....work out for yourself China.

... and £30 million investigating the murder of Stephen Lawrence - was his mum in with the establishment, too?

Well, that is case is a bit more complex than you are making out, with even a Lord being investigated who allegedly was involved in a cover up.

Nice try at misdirection though...

What's the average spent on a missing child, for context? I can't tell from reading this thread whether they're spending more to try to uncover the truth, or less to try to cover it all up.

Average spend is approx. £2,500 per child.

Hmm OK, poor comparison as I suspect that includes all the ones that get announced on facebook and then turn up half an hour later, and then do the same thing a week later. What's the average cost for reported kidnappings? Hunt for Shannon Matthews cost £3.2m, and she was missing less than a month.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/nov/12/shannonmatthews-biggest-search

Hmm OK, poor comparison as I suspect that includes all the ones that get announced on facebook and then turn up half an hour later, and then do the same thing a week later. What's the average cost for reported kidnappings? Hunt for Shannon Matthews cost £3.2m, and she was missing less than a month.

While the average is only £2,500 I doubt there are many that reach SM/MM proportions.

A quick look at the UK Missing Children site is sobering with most of those missing having been missing for more than 2 weeks

In truth I have no idea whether or not they killed their own child, but I hope it turns out that they did. Not because of any personal dislike for the McCann's or because it would prove that there has been some sort of cover up, but simply because if they did do it, either accidentally or deliberately, at least it was likely to have been quick and painless. But what she must have gone through (and might be still going through) if she was abducted by an organized paedophile ring is something no normal person could ever contemplate. It beggars belief that there are so many monsters and abominations in the world walking round dressed up as human beings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-33738908

"Sir Peter Fahy, of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), said other police work was compromised by thousands of calls better dealt with by social workers.

He said it cost the force £30m a year.

English, Scottish and Welsh police dealt with 306,000 missing people in 2012/13, according to the latest UK Missing Persons Bureau figures.

And each missing person call costs an average of £1,325, said researchers at Portsmouth University."

August 2015

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/revealed-shocking-cost-of-greater-manchesters-854044

"Police received 11,819 reports of missing children last year – with 2,281 of those aged 11 or younger, and the youngest just three. Detectives closed the files completely on eight youngsters who have disappeared without trace for at least six months."

2011 (Updated 2013)

While the average is only £2,500 I doubt there are many that reach SM/MM proportions.

A quick look at the UK Missing Children site is sobering with most of those missing having been missing for more than 2 weeks

All this proves nothing.

Expect it is rare for any real money to be spent on missing children, and almost completely unheard of for £11 Million (and counting)...

Archived