St. Helena. ?

dilligaf

A fascinating and dispiriting anecdote. Yes, Quayle does need to be reminded...by being emptied from Keys. He's had a bloody easy ride as Health Minister. The avalanche of monthly questions in Tynwald faced by Anderson dried up the moment Quayle arrived. Mainly because Beecroft (mates with Quayle) and Karran left him alone. He didn't/doesn't deserve to be left alone. Incidentally, is Malcom Couch actually still alive...there's a man who has vanished compared with his Treasury days. I still consider his appointment to Health as very odd.

I don't think Quayle has done a bad job because I actually think it's an almost impossible job dealing with that corrupt shower of crap who run the hospital and the incompetents who infest the health services and DHSS at almost every level. Couch has gone to ground as I don't think he has any traction or effective power base to deal with the people he needs to be able to hoof out on their asses before anything has even the slimmest chance of getting better.

What utter rubbish. What an insult to the hundreds of hardworking and dedicated staff and management at the hospital and throughout the DHSC.

You really are scraping the barrel for insults.

You obviously have no idea whatsoever of how the service is run.

Stupid, stupid idiot.!

Where did I insult everyone? Where did I label everyone? I was referring to some of the die hard bullying arse-covering wasters at the top of the Hospital and the DHSC who need to be turfed out before either Quayle or Couch can start to make things get better.

Wind your neck in.

I never said the word "everyone" at all.

You are talking rubbish and you know it. I doubt that you know much about the two you are praising either.

What do they know about running a hospital anyway?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couch has an MD so I assume he knows enough about medical practices to know more than Killip, who had some O Levels, did. Quayle is simply a political member; I doubt he is required to perform open heart surgery. As for the management up there and the DHSC it's pretty much common knowledge what needs to be done to fix the problem but you're dealing with the public sector mafia in a lot of instances.

Couch has an MD so I assume he knows enough about medical practices to know more than Killip, who had some O Levels, did. Quayle is simply a political member; I doubt he is required to perform open heart surgery. As for the management up there and the DHSC it's pretty much common knowledge what needs to be done to fix the problem but you're dealing with the public sector mafia in a lot of instances.

Did this not happen before when political bods thought they knew best?

Couch replaced Charters, not David Killip. They thought Charters and all the friends he brought with him would be a cure all.!!!!!

Couch replaced Charters, not David Killip. They thought Charters and all the friends he brought with him would be a cure all.!!!!!

I ignored Charters as he only had the job 10 minutes. Killip headed up the DHSC for years previously despite having no medical background and no degree in anything whatsoever.

I ignored Charters as he only had the job 10 minutes. Killip headed up the DHSC for years previously despite having no medical background and no degree in anything whatsoever.

......and in the opinion of many did a bloody good job.

......and in the opinion of many did a bloody good job.

So in what way is either more qualified than Couch, who has a degree in medicine, to run a hospital? In your qualified opinion.

Following on from the arguing about who is British and who isn't, I have been googling a few other "British" islands to see what the feeling is on them.

It seems most people are quite proud (?) to be British, maybe because of the handouts.

However when I started looking at St. Helena, I clocked a familiar face.

I thought, no it can't be, ...........but it was.

http://www.sainthelena.gov.sh/new-director-of-safeguarding/

How weird.

I wonder if they know why he left his job in the IOM after less than a year?

Didn't Charters bring in a raft of new people at very senior levels...allegedly his mates? Aren't they running the show now? If not, have they been emptied too? Your defence of Quayle is surprising Sultan...the man's a vacuous bullshitter of Olympic standard. The recruitment of Charters in itself is sufficient to show that he's unfit to choose toilet paper, let alone a CEO. His media pronouncements are content-free, oxygen-wasting, self-promoting tosh. But for the presence of Skelly, Quayle would be this government's principal producer of meaningless pap.

Edited to add...also Sultan, I don't know what prompted you to choose to ignore Charters in this debate. Far from being at DHSS "for 10 minutes" he was there a year and, by all accounts, caused utter chaos. That's when he and Quayle weren't in New Zealand and Spain of course.

Didn't Charters bring in a raft of new people at very senior levels...allegedly his mates? Aren't they running the show now?

Brian Deadman was brought in, highly paid and then made redundant a few months later. There was an angry article from him about it in the press but local online references to it now seem to have disappeared. Strange. You would be peed off if you'd been employed on a fancy salary, moved to an island, told you were going to change the world and then dumped all in the space of half a year, I guess.

https://www.gov.im/news/2015/may/11/two-key-appointments-strengthen-management-of-islands-health-and-social-care-service/

Didn't Charters bring in a raft of new people at very senior levels...allegedly his mates? Aren't they running the show now? If not, have they been emptied too? Your defence of Quayle is surprising Sultan...the man's a vacuous bullshitter of Olympic standard. The recruitment of Charters in itself is sufficient to show that he's unfit to choose toilet paper, let alone a CEO. His media pronouncements are content-free, oxygen-wasting, self-promoting tosh. But for the presence of Skelly, Quayle would be this government's principal producer of meaningless pap.

Edited to add...also Sultan, I don't know what prompted you to choose to ignore Charters in this debate. Far from being at DHSS "for 10 minutes" he was there a year and, by all accounts, caused utter chaos. That's when he and Quayle weren't in New Zealand and Spain of course.

Sorry for getting in the way of your Quayle hating but I dont see the issue. I didn't defend Quayle either; I simply said that he and Couch have no chance of creating change as they still have a bunch of genuinely divisive and abysmal people within the management structure of the DSHC and without booting them out on their arses they have no opportunity to change the culture of the organisation. All the people they have tried to pitch in to change the culture and break down the inertia have been seen off in record time. That's why I chose to ignore Charters; he was here for 10 minutes, he was seen off by the hospital mafia, and then so were the people who followed him who I presume were supposed to break down the power structure that was in place. He doesn't even register on the scale of what's wrong up there in my book as he wasn't there long enough. Anyone who has done a cultural change programme in any organisation knows that if you have a problem you go in hard and you boot all the bad apples out in one initiative. You need to make a real concerted effort to pick them all off and break down the strong hold they have on the bad culture. I think that's probably what Quayle and Couch tried to do which is why I don't think they've necessarily done a bad job. They just weren't hard or nasty enough. I'd have created a real shit storm and fucked a load of them out in six months and just written a cheques if it all went to Tribunal. That's the only way to deal with it in my book.

Sorry for getting in the way of your Quayle hating but I dont see the issue. I didn't defend Quayle either; I simply said that he and Couch have no chance of creating change as they still have a bunch of genuinely divisive and abysmal people within the management structure of the DSHC and without booting them out on their arses they have no opportunity to change the culture of the organisation. All the people they have tried to pitch in to change the culture and break down the inertia have been seen off in record time. That's why I chose to ignore Charters; he was here for 10 minutes, he was seen off by the hospital mafia, and then so were the people who followed him who I presume were supposed to break down the power structure that was in place. He doesn't even register on the scale of what's wrong up there in my book as he wasn't there long enough. Anyone who has done a cultural change programme in any organisation knows that if you have a problem you go in hard and you boot all the bad apples out in one initiative. You need to make a real concerted effort to pick them all off and break down the strong hold they have on the bad culture. I think that's probably what Quayle and Couch tried to do which is why I don't think they've necessarily done a bad job. They just weren't hard or nasty enough. I'd have created a real shit storm and fucked a load of them out in six months and just written a cheques if it all went to Tribunal. That's the only way to deal with it in my book.

Like I said last night, you haven't got a clue and know nothing about the people you are talking about. Just more bullshit.

On the contrary it's you who's clueless.

Time will tell.

At least I know some of the people.!

I know a lot of the people too; clearly you don't think some of them are dangerous arseholes who are holding back a proper and more accountable structure being put in place whereas I do. I also rate Couch but I don't think has the buy in to create some of the change he needs to.

I don't hate Quayle because I don't hate anyone. I simply think that the man's actions and public comment provide ample evidence that he possesses no qualities whatsoever that countenance his appointment to a key Ministerial position delivering the most important public service. Additionally, it doesn't require too many detective skills to identify that his aspirations relate to the advancement of Howard Quayle, not the advancement of the NHS.

Archived