St. Helena. ?

dilligaf

I dont really care what you think of Quayle to be honest and I wasn't defending him at all. I was just saying that I don't think anyone would have done much better (or worse) as nobody is going to successfully push through the cultural and mindset change that needs to happen in the DHSC before most of the problems can start to be dealt with properly. They won't be able to do that because of some of the people within the organisation themselves who need to be taken out.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How weird.

I wonder if they know why he left his job in the IOM after less than a year?

I've left a few explanatory messages for the St Helena Government using the link provided in the original post, along with a suggestion to ensure their Code of Conduct and Harassment at Work policies are up to date.

I know a bit about St Helena, although I have never been (it was not somewhere you would go to for a fortnight as it was served by just one ship which shuttled between the UK and South Africa),but there are a surprising number of links with the IOM. There is a St Helena slave buried in old Kirk Braddan churchyard, I think we had Governor in common and they were given help by the IOM government when some games were held here.

It is a fascinating place.

As they are about to find out.ph34r.png

i think you should start a thread on their forums warning of "yosemite sam" and his bright ideas.

http://forum.sthelenalocal.com/

I know a bit about St Helena, although I have never been (it was not somewhere you would go to for a fortnight as it was served by just one ship which shuttled between the UK and South Africa),but there are a surprising number of links with the IOM. There is a St Helena slave buried in old Kirk Braddan churchyard, I think we had Governor in common and they were given help by the IOM government when some games were held here.

It is a fascinating place.

As they are about to find out.ph34r.png

i think you should start a thread on their forums warning of "yosemite sam" and his bright ideas.

http://forum.sthelenalocal.com/

I thought the thread about "tractors" was ace HA HA w00t.gif. With 11 posts, it is the busiest thread !

A fascinating and dispiriting anecdote. Yes, Quayle does need to be reminded...by being emptied from Keys. He's had a bloody easy ride as Health Minister. The avalanche of monthly questions in Tynwald faced by Anderson dried up the moment Quayle arrived. Mainly because Beecroft (mates with Quayle) and Karran left him alone. He didn't/doesn't deserve to be left alone. Incidentally, is Malcom Couch actually still alive...there's a man who has vanished compared with his Treasury days. I still consider his appointment to Health as very odd.

I don't think Quayle has done a bad job because I actually think it's an almost impossible job dealing with some of that corrupt shower of crap who run the hospital and some of the hard core incompetents who infest the health services and DHSC at almost every level. Couch has gone to ground as I don't think he has any traction or effective power base to deal with the people he needs to be able to hoof out on their asses before anything has even the slimmest chance of getting better.

I can offer some thoughts. I have some close relatives and some good friends who work at the hospital, and they talk about work all the time.

Couch seems to be a genuinely good guy (Charters definitely wasn’t), who has the interests of his staff and patients at the front of his mind. He talks to people openly and honestly and is getting around all of the different parts of the hospital in sequence. After he has talked to teams, they feel better. He also seems to deliver on his promises – hospital cleaners asked for their service to be reviewed and it has been – there were some big meetings last week to pass on the results.

But being a good guy isn’t enough, and Couch will fail if he can’t show that things are really getting better. The problems are always said to be at the top. Three of the senior four track to the Charters period. Mrs Morris was appointed by Charters personally. She then appointed Mrs Radcliffe and Dr Mahajan, and at the same time – with Charters – brought in a bunch of awful interim trouble shooters who caused chaos. Mrs Scott is the only relic of the old days before 2014. These four stay in their offices and seem to do very little. One of them is disliked by almost everyone in the hospital, and continues the old ways of ‘in crowds’ and the rest – and if you are in the rest your ideas are irrelevant. Aggression and bullying are the norm.

Many workers at Nobles expected Couch to make changes early doors and he hasn’t. He might not be as good as he is cracked up to be. Quayle might be holding him back for reasons of his own. He might be biding his time. I haven’t heard a single person though who doesn’t think that big changes are needed, and soon.

A fascinating and dispiriting anecdote. Yes, Quayle does need to be reminded...by being emptied from Keys. He's had a bloody easy ride as Health Minister. The avalanche of monthly questions in Tynwald faced by Anderson dried up the moment Quayle arrived. Mainly because Beecroft (mates with Quayle) and Karran left him alone. He didn't/doesn't deserve to be left alone. Incidentally, is Malcom Couch actually still alive...there's a man who has vanished compared with his Treasury days. I still consider his appointment to Health as very odd.

I don't think Quayle has done a bad job because I actually think it's an almost impossible job dealing with some of that corrupt shower of crap who run the hospital and some of the hard core incompetents who infest the health services and DHSC at almost every level. Couch has gone to ground as I don't think he has any traction or effective power base to deal with the people he needs to be able to hoof out on their asses before anything has even the slimmest chance of getting better.

I can offer some thoughts. I have some close relatives and some good friends who work at the hospital, and they talk about work all the time.

Couch seems to be a genuinely good guy (Charters definitely wasn’t), who has the interests of his staff and patients at the front of his mind. He talks to people openly and honestly and is getting around all of the different parts of the hospital in sequence. After he has talked to teams, they feel better. He also seems to deliver on his promises – hospital cleaners asked for their service to be reviewed and it has been – there were some big meetings last week to pass on the results.

But being a good guy isn’t enough, and Couch will fail if he can’t show that things are really getting better. The problems are always said to be at the top. Three of the senior four track to the Charters period. Mrs Morris was appointed by Charters personally. She then appointed Mrs Radcliffe and Dr Mahajan, and at the same time – with Charters – brought in a bunch of awful interim trouble shooters who caused chaos. Mrs Scott is the only relic of the old days before 2014. These four stay in their offices and seem to do very little. One of them is disliked by almost everyone in the hospital, and continues the old ways of ‘in crowds’ and the rest – and if you are in the rest your ideas are irrelevant. Aggression and bullying are the norm.

Many workers at Nobles expected Couch to make changes early doors and he hasn’t. He might not be as good as he is cracked up to be. Quayle might be holding him back for reasons of his own. He might be biding his time. I haven’t heard a single person though who doesn’t think that big changes are needed, and soon.

This reinforces what I was told that those effectively running DHSC, especially the health/medical side, are from the Charters era and not earlier. The chaos comment echoes much that's been said to me. This rather disproves (or perhaps dilutes) the view of SultanofSheight that there is a legacy issue...the defects seem very much to have Charters' fingerprints on them, although I'm told by nursing personnel that there are a few bad apple medics in the barrel too. The view about Couch is that he is essentially a good guy but rather too closed and not especially a people person. There is also a view - and whether correct or not I have no idea - that the relationship between Couch and Quayle isn't altogether warm. Whether this explains Couch's inertia, who knows? Quayle's inertia may simply be down to the fact that the thick sod won't have a clue.

I see that IOM Newspapers have covered Mad Mark's arrival in St. Helena on their webpages today, some 9 days after Dilligaf highlighted it on this fine forum. Why doesn't Richard Butt just publish screen-grabs of this site as they happen? Perhaps then he could legitimately claim to provide news, not history.

Archived