DEFA consultation Document.

homarus

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the Manx and UK landing sixes been harmonized yet ,or are they still different ?

Apparently the legal scallop size is 11cm IOM, NI and Wales and I'm told it's 10.5cm in Scotland !

SO You can only imagine where all of the (10.5cm ) scallops were taken to last night when the weather got windy and the boats went home, that's next years allowable catch size gone then, but it's ok our Fisheries boat thingy would of checked them before they left our waters

Are you suggesting scallopduggery has occurred?

A statement was issued by Tim Baker...

There's been a lot of concern expressed on FB over King Scallop fishing since the season opened on Tuesday. It's well worth following the link below to DEFA's press release to understand the actual position:

https://www.gov.im/news/2016/nov/03/isle-of-man-king-scallop-fishery/

Despite appearances, you will note that we have more controls in place and fewer boats licensed for King Scallops this year. The number of boats fishing on the first day is also actually fewer than the equivalent from last year! Please also note that the IOM cannot restrict access just to Manx boats due to our international obligations.

The last sentence is the only one that matters really. Exactly the same reason local agriculture is screwed.

There's been a lot of concern expressed on FB over King Scallop fishing since the season opened on Tuesday. It's well worth following the link below to DEFA's press release to understand the actual position:

Despite appearances, you will note that we have more controls in place and fewer boats licensed for King Scallops this year. The number of boats fishing on the first day is also actually fewer than the equivalent from last year! Please also note that the IOM cannot restrict access just to Manx boats due to our international obligations.

The last sentence is the only one that matters really. Exactly the same reason local agriculture is screwed.

No.

If Manx fishermen want to fish outside Manx territorial waters then there must be a bilateral agreement.

No. but you can make them play by the same rules you planks!

I have heard several stories going back years of Manx boats sorting Scallops throwing just under the limit undersized ones back into the water and off Island boats towing behind just picking them up again, so you need to enforce the Manx size limit and make the boats land on the IOM for checking purposes .

I think there needs to be limits on the size and Horsepower of boats fishing inside our waters(Which has been said before!), and I'm sure if there's a will there's a way but I have no confidence in a DEFA department staffed by off Island civil servants to take measures that would restrict the actions of UK fishing interests and benefit the IOM ,we need somebody in DEFA who is willing to fight for the interests of what is left of the Manx Fishing industry I'd be very surprised if "Baron Boot"is the man to do it!.

What did somebody quote on here a day or so back ? Several boats taking 30,000 pounds worth of scallops in a day ! That's not fishing that's slaughter!

This is an absolute disgrace, I have looked at the Marine traffic site and cannot believe how the Manx Government have allowed this to happen there are dredgers from all over britain tearing lumps out of a little area and taking 100s of tons of shellfish which IMO should be reserved for the small local boats. They then may allow a few visitors in and charge them accordingly. I am surprised that the so called conservation groups are not up in arms! these big dredgers will leave nothing but devastation behind. I will be sending my thoughts to Mr Boot and Mr Harmer later this morning.

I particularly liked how they managed to arrange this devastation of the seabed to happen simultaneously with the presentation of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve certificate for the Isle of Man. Never mind what's happening in the real world people - we've got a bit of paper!

No wonder the scotch have got plenty of super scallopers worth £500-£mil each, its our feckin scallops that are payin for them 😡 Is the DEFA stupid ? Look at our boats, they're crap compared to them lot !!!

In a matter of fact, the DEFA has shed out hundreds of thousands towards scientific data to help enhance the scallops for everyone else!

This is an absolute disgrace, I have looked at the Marine traffic site and cannot believe how the Manx Government have allowed this to happen there are dredgers from all over britain tearing lumps out of a little area and taking 100s of tons of shellfish which IMO should be reserved for the small local boats. They then may allow a few visitors in and charge them accordingly. I am surprised that the so called conservation groups are not up in arms! these big dredgers will leave nothing but devastation behind. I will be sending my thoughts to Mr Boot and Mr Harmer later this morning.

I particularly liked how they managed to arrange this devastation of the seabed to happen simultaneously with the presentation of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve certificate for the Isle of Man. Never mind what's happening in the real world people - we've got a bit of paper!

We do seem to like spending a lot of time and money so that MHKs and Departments can emerge Chamberlain like declaring that we have secured this really great thing that makes us look fantastic; just before the shit hits the fan. But then in the IOM its never been about the government or public sector actually doing anything; just making it look like they're doing something.

Re posts 60/63/68

I give you, lets just say a possible scenario that could happen??? boats fishing of the targets (Peel) where in some years its knee deep in scallops though a large percentage are in the 100mm to 110mm year class meaning lots of measuring and throwing back over the side if your a honest fisherman. The legal size in the Irish Sea is 110 mm but outside that in Scottish waters the size is 100mm, I think the line where it changes somewhere roundabout Larne in Northern Ireland across to Stranaer. So let's say are big grey boat tootles by during the day and if its not to rough it may board one or two. Then buggars of to the other side of the island or returns flat out using up ££££££ of fuel to her Douglas berth, then said boats get the nod and few quick hauls before going of to land throwing in 100mm + class scallops can result in a few extra grand on the gross, also this results in wiping out a major part of next years scallop stock.

I like to see as part of a agreement of having a Manx scallop licence our fisheries officers accompanying UK inforcement waiting on the quay in UK and Ireland only needs to be done now and again and when anyone is caught illegally fishing on a large scale complete withdrawal of licence to fish our waters full stop no return. As I've told them before on many occasions if the weather is decent while Barrules sits in Douglas they could launch there fast rib from most ports around the island with the element of surprise. Big Al some of the boats here fishing have a value well in excess of a million pounds usually towing 8/ 10/12 dredgers per side fishing 24/7 elsewhere to make ends meet but only allowed 7 per side in IoM waters and subject to a time curfew that should enlighten folks as to how good our waters are (or should that be used to be?)

Re posts 60/63/68

I give you, lets just say a possible scenario that could happen??? boats fishing of the targets (Peel) where in some years its knee deep in scallops though a large percentage are in the 100mm to 110mm year class meaning lots of measuring and throwing back over the side if your a honest fisherman. The legal size in the Irish Sea is 110 mm but outside that in Scottish waters the size is 100mm, I think the line where it changes somewhere roundabout Larne in Northern Ireland across to Stranaer. So let's say are big grey boat tootles by during the day and if its not to rough it may board one or two. Then buggars of to the other side of the island or returns flat out using up ££££££ of fuel to her Douglas berth, then said boats get the nod and few quick hauls before going of to land throwing in 100mm + class scallops can result in a few extra grand on the gross, also this results in wiping out a major part of next years scallop stock.

I like to see as part of a agreement of having a Manx scallop licence our fisheries officers accompanying UK inforcement waiting on the quay in UK and Ireland only needs to be done now and again and when anyone is caught illegally fishing on a large scale complete withdrawal of licence to fish our waters full stop no return. As I've told them before on many occasions if the weather is decent while Barrules sits in Douglas they could launch there fast rib from most ports around the island with the element of surprise. Big Al some of the boats here fishing have a value well in excess of a million pounds usually towing 8/ 10/12 dredgers per side fishing 24/7 elsewhere to make ends meet but only allowed 7 per side in IoM waters and subject to a time curfew that should enlighten folks as to how good our waters are (or should that be used to be?)

Doesn't that warrant a restriction on the total amount of bags caught and kept in any one day per vessel then in the 12mile limit, like I stated earlier ? Surely that be more feasible then if our other restrictions are good ?

Yep a bag restriction would be a good start say 25/30 if grounds are yielding.

Depending on the price it was at £14kilo recently now probably dropped after this heavy fishing so £100+ a bag depending on area

Fished, anything between 16/20lb cleaned meat per average Manx sack so it's still a good grossing if you can get a few days out in the week and it's there for a greater length of time over the season that you'd be guaranteed a good living every time you put to sea

Like having money in the bank and fair for all.

Interesting spin from Mr Boot MHK on 3FM. Not unduly bothered about the quantity/weight of scallops harvested so far as if it was all landed here, local processors couldn't cope....maybe they're not geared up for the 100mms

ETA typo

"Non-Believer"

Interesting spin from Mr Boot MHK on 3FM. Not unduly bothered about the quantity/weight of scallops harvested so far as if it was all landed here, local processors couldn't cope....maybe they're not geared up for the 100mms

😂😂👍

He's not unduly botherd because he hasn't got a feckin clue to how much scallops has been landed in other ports since 1st Nov, a friend of a friend said there was £65-£75grand grossed per vessel by some bigger scottish boats landing away. The DEFA are a laughing stock, every year they all know it gets better and better and so do the boats over there by all accounts.

Archived