DEFA consultation Document.

homarus

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was discussing this with a mate of mine and he said the DEFA should of restricted licences to scallop vessels long long before making all these other decisions of conservation and closed zones or areas of re-seeding, to stop or restrict the other 75% of scallop vessels coming here, apparently all this was said years ago but no action was taken or implemented, instead now we have groups of modern-fishing vessels coming here from November to Christmas to take the cream of the cake and then disappear to other fruitful areas around the U.K.. If the seabed takes a massive hammering surely that will be it for years in that particular area, just because there is a restriction in the time you can catch stuff doesn't stop the actual catching of the scallops eventually anyway and he said some of the scallop vessels coming here are equipped that well they have 4/5 more fishing tows a day than our vessels anyway in the restricted allowed fishing time period.

Our trawlers are not benefitting any of the closed areas or any of the conservation measures for that matter anywhere near the maximum potential which they should be, yet surely these measures were set up in the first place to increase profit and reduce fishing time and effort on the sea bed.

ONLY 25% of revenue gained from this fishery is put back into our economy SO why is the DEFA spending so much money on making it better for everyone else apart from our own fishermen????

I have read through these pages and am horrified, but am not an expert. Some of the good folk posting here clearly have a good understanding of the Manx fishing industry. Perhaps you can explain to me whether the massive non-Manx boats that you describe are acting within the law or not. If not, who is taking any action to stop them? If they are in Manx waters legally, who on earth gave such permission?

The boats are all fishing within the law, although it would appear that yet again when this legislation was put in place no thought was given to the circumstances of such an onslaught to take place over a few days. I and my family have all been involved at the fishing over the last 35 years and I cannot understand how this can take place right under our very nose's. I also understand that everyone is entitled to a living including the larger fleet although I think that we have made a right F**k-up this year allowing bigger faster and the most up to date dredgers access to such a small fishery.

The Barrule was out there last night at around 6ish to make sure they moved outside the limit, I am sure that the DEFA would have asked Fisheries to keep a very close watch at present considering the amount of media coverage this appears to be generating. I had noticed a few comments made on Facebook from a local Ice cream manufacturer were not very well received by the visitors, although I have to admit that no laws are being broken and they are only taking advantage of an ill thought out policy, no wonder Mr Ronan got out!

Once upon a time I was involved in scallop dredge fishing and I can tell you first hand that lessons won't be learned? It's a hard tough way of life payed out on a share hopefully of a good catch after expensives deducted, No fish no pay, simple as that no pulling the stress trump card like some in our civil service do if times are tough or there not up to the job.

The fisheries department is next to useless and needs root and branch reform put people in who understand the industry and its needs not to be loaded with marine biologists with fluffy ideas also what's the point of paying Bangor hundreds of thousands of pounds in research fees if all we do is facilitate the UK fleets earning capacity in our 12 mile waters also we could do most surveys In house as I've explained numerous times to uninterested mhks. Don't be fooled by the spin put out by defa about overall reduction of licences most where purely speculative or underused the damage is being done by the ones here now.

In recent years we have made some good progress regarding closed areas less time fished and gear restrictions albeit usually after the fishing has taken a real hammering even though some of us within the industry were calling for these and more measures 20+ years ago against the majority of even our own fleet at the time but the warning signs we there then, though I'd would admit now most local fishermen in recent years have seen the light that good management can bring good results overall.

2bees is correct in saying that some of the larger vessels have filled they boots and turned over nearly 30k for a day's work (those sort of figures would be more than welcome for a months fishing for our local boats) most of the scallopers are going to Kircudbright or Whitehaven to land there catch, some are landing straight onto freezer wagons On island to go straight of again and not all of the boats are on tracker are visible online and many don't enter Manx ports at all so we gain nothing for our economy yet have made a world class fishery for all those with licences for a week or two (Isle of man where you can? or is it freedom to flourish for outsiders) most of our fleet are governed more by the weather so won't be much left after the big boys have taken the cream away after the weather settles.

Our policing methods of the fishery are outdated and is far to obvious most see or hear of the Barrules whereabouts early on and it's no use boarding vessels first thing in morning you need to get vessels just as there of away to land and any caught with undersized scallops should have a big fine with licence revoked and fishing gear confiscated full stop.

Some of the fleet here now have been hammering the French coast just outside there 12 mile until recently, fishing down the stock heavily must to the annoyance to French fishermen who adhere to different and better conservation restrictions. The large big boat UK scallop fleet has turned into a plague of locusts who turn up everywhere destroying habitats and turning the seabed into a desert devoid of life except scallops (industrial large scale fish farming by name) it can't keep going on this scale it's not sustainable.

Let's see what wing commander Boot does about it can he be any worse than some of our previous fishery ministers can he. Can he?

Archived