DEFA consultation Document.

homarus

Quoted from Facebook -

"Imagine countless hours of boardroom negotiations, back and forth waiting for government to agree decisions, to finally get parts of the sea bed closed for conservation. Then fast forward a few years and spend a year in boardrooms with government trying to agree the delicate terms to then open those beds to sustainable fishing. Agreements are thought to be made, the season approaches , then last minute, seriously LAST MINUTE! All decisions are over ruled and the beds are just open . Free for all. 6am to 6pm. The result 240 tonnes, approx 1 million scallops taken on the first day. Only approx 18% landed on the island and less than 10% of that manx boats caught. Some boats are taking £30,000 worth in a day!. I can't begin to tell you how heart broken and disgusted the PO ( manx fishing representative) are. No one can understand the governments decission to do this."

Our seas should be for our fishermen and should be policed to protect the scallops and the sea beds. Very annoying.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an absolute disgrace, I have looked at the Marine traffic site and cannot believe how the Manx Government have allowed this to happen there are dredgers from all over britain tearing lumps out of a little area and taking 100s of tons of shellfish which IMO should be reserved for the small local boats. They then may allow a few visitors in and charge them accordingly. I am surprised that the so called conservation groups are not up in arms! these big dredgers will leave nothing but devastation behind. I will be sending my thoughts to Mr Boot and Mr Harmer later this morning.

Quoted from Facebook -

"Imagine countless hours of boardroom negotiations, back and forth waiting for government to agree decisions, to finally get parts of the sea bed closed for conservation. Then fast forward a few years and spend a year in boardrooms with government trying to agree the delicate terms to then open those beds to sustainable fishing. Agreements are thought to be made, the season approaches , then last minute, seriously LAST MINUTE! All decisions are over ruled and the beds are just open . Free for all. 6am to 6pm. The result 240 tonnes, approx 1 million scallops taken on the first day. Only approx 18% landed on the island and less than 10% of that manx boats caught. Some boats are taking £30,000 worth in a day!. I can't begin to tell you how heart broken and disgusted the PO ( manx fishing representative) are. No one can understand the governments decission to do this."

Our seas should be for our fishermen and should be policed to protect the scallops and the sea beds. Very annoying.

I think it is awful but I suppose it depends what rules our trawlers are subject to.

Can they go where they like or are they resticted to manx waters? If not, do they need a licence to go elsewhere and it the same here so that any UK trawler needs a licence?

If they do need a licence and the IOM is issuing them in those sorts of numbers it seems a little odd to me if it is at the expense of the local industry and stock levels.

As we all know F**k all will happen until it is too late! I am in touch with several of the boats involved and the figures reported to be going off island is absolutely unbelievable. The bigger dredgers I wont name them, have filled up a 40 foot wagon (500x50 kl bags) in 2 days. I have counted 40 boats of various sizes most carried 12/14 dredges each, this is going to completely obliterate the area of Peel and could do long term damage to the Scallop beds and the Sea bed itself. I hope I can get a response later from our elected leaders today before it is to late.

This could be the first test for our new DEFA Caped Crusader, Geoffrey Boot MHK, following his recent promises over a sustainable fishing industry amongst other departmental duties?

This is an absolute disgrace, I have looked at the Marine traffic site and cannot believe how the Manx Government have allowed this to happen there are dredgers from all over britain tearing lumps out of a little area and taking 100s of tons of shellfish which IMO should be reserved for the small local boats. They then may allow a few visitors in and charge them accordingly. I am surprised that the so called conservation groups are not up in arms! these big dredgers will leave nothing but devastation behind. I will be sending my thoughts to Mr Boot and Mr Harmer later this morning.

A couple of strategic RPGs would sort it.

Archived