DEFA consultation Document.

homarus

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The DEFA's Fisheries advert this year;

Welcome to our Scallop fishery, its the 'Isle of Man where you can' - COME HERE AND FILL YER HOLDS UP WITH OUR SCALLOPS AND TAKE THEM BACK HOME WITH YOU - WE DONT MIND !!

On a small island with limited natural resources you would think that using the sea properly would be pretty high up on the list of things to manage properly. But no.

I tried talking to people from DEFA at the agricultural shows, what a bunch of clueless morons.

They said they have capped and reduced the amount of licences to fish here, apparently them figures were made up of licences from vessels that dont want to fish here anyway and hadn't done for years. All they did was tidy up the licence list. The Isle of Man where you can !

The DEFA's Fisheries advert this year;

Welcome to our Scallop fishery, its the 'Isle of Man where you can' - COME HERE AND FILL YER HOLDS UP WITH OUR SCALLOPS AND TAKE THEM BACK HOME WITH YOU - WE DONT MIND !!

First trumpeted to the world by one P. Gawne, DAFF/DEFA Minister, circa 2009/10 IIRC. Referring to the exact same fishing grounds when previously undiscovered scallop beds were located that would supposedly sustain the local industry for years. The Irish and UK boats were on it in a trice, dredging it to oblivion. Then he described it as an "Unfortunate announcement" and "Not handled well".

Lessons will be learned though. My arse.

He will be like all the rest and do F**k all and he has to obey his betters in Whitehall, if anyone is under any illusions that we have any say in what goes on is in dreamland, remember the adjacent Isle to the north of us has a very large scalloping fleet wink.png

100% And it doesn't help when DEFA are so f*cking clueless ,apparently the current boss of the Sea fishing side has no background in Sea Fisheries management whatsoever ,although she's very good on spreadsheets by all accounts!

These people are so inept it's criminal .

But finishing on a positive note both the Islands European Eel and Lamprey populations are in good health!!

If the DEFA was conserving this fishery long term for the Manx fishermen, wouldn't they of introduced some kind of daily catch limit so the fishing would last a lot longer ? I'm only listening in to others talking and even I can work that one out ! What were the managers thinking ? That wouldn't attract so many others to come here because there wouldn't be the stupid bonanza just a good steady living.

Doesn't seem to be even one Manx vessel among the fleet up at Peel now but the weather won't beat the big boys they'll fish it down to the bedrock, the director of fisheries has a background in freshwater fishing I was informed And yes shes out of her depth.

The argument about access to other waters is so so as the resources within in our waters if managed correctly would mean you rarely need to leave our shores plus your still free to fish anywhere outside the UK 12 mile, the Welsh tightened down they fishery down.

A tightly monitored boxed area of the west side of the island seems the best option with daily bag limits and upping the ring/mesh size to 90mm and possibly decreasing again the amount of dredgers allowed to 12 instead of 14 at present and let them contribute to our science of the fishery by raising the licence fee.

It's ironic that a lot of the boats fishing there now and filling there boots always were against any type of conservation measures but I bet they've got a wry smile on they faces now thinking those manxies sure know how to line our pockets.

Having previously done some fishery science the scallops actually get stressed continually hauled and dragged around the seabed and many of the undersized ones thrown back, either die or are severely weakened to other predators, ive have been told the scallops are of a good size of targets so if there's not many undersized ones that doesn't bode well for the future.

They'll tell you (As you already know) that they have to treat all fishermen the same so therefore cannot deny access to the fisheries.

Bare minimum ,all boats should be made to land their catch on Manx mainland Breakwaters for checking before being shipped to the UK , re-deploy DEFA funds to set up monitoring stations on the Breakwaters it's the only way to control what's happening!

Have the Manx and UK landing sixes been harmonized yet ,or are they still different ?

Apparently the legal scallop size is 11cm IOM, NI and Wales and I'm told it's 10.5cm in Scotland !

SO You can only imagine where all of the (10.5cm ) scallops were taken to last night when the weather got windy and the boats went home, that's next years allowable catch size gone then, but it's ok our Fisheries boat thingy would of checked them before they left our waters 🤔🤔 💤💤

Archived