Kevin the Oliphant packed his trunk

Rhumsaa

4 hours ago, Triad said:

Would be interested to know this fella's new address as he disappeared from a property I own leaving over a grand in rent owing, then his phone mysteriously went off.

What about deposit?

21 hours ago, Christians A hole said:

Definitely not. I am a friend who is a little bit wiser, older and care about his well being.

One can clearly tell by the nature of the video that it was a spur of the moment thing, which it was. The second half of your second sentence appears to contradict the first half? Or could it be that I am not understanding the probability of the logic? And who are they? If you mean the scoundrels in the council, then I am sure you are correct.

Leaving aside his personal issues and the "injustices" of how any parliamentary or board rules may operate, the main thrust of the video seems to be that in essence he was not prepared for the fact that people who get in to politics are fundamentally interested in power and control no matter what their stated "cause" is, and that their relative sucess in getting things done "their" way is determined not by whatever their inclination may be, or by what the best outcome may be in anyone's subjective opinion (including his), but by the use of deception, manipulation and coercion - especially the case on the IOM where almost all politics is determined by charm and nepotism rather than party lines (which are after all only an extension of the same).

Given that he also clearly states he has been involved with politics for a very long time I find the idea that this was a surprise hard to accept. More significantly the subtext that he - as a person who is also interested in "getting in to politics" - is any different than they are (the people he has been so scornful of in this video) is laughable. Presumably the undertone of "I'm going to get even with those who have wronged me" was not accidental.

Douglas Council may be filled to the gunnels with people he disagrees with. Indeed, with people who could have actively tried to dislodge him because he had different priorities to them. More importantly though was that he was not willing or not able to play the game as tradition dictates it is played. Has he not missed the point that the people of Douglas are either happy with this status quo, or simply don't care? 

21 hours ago, Declan said:

I get the impression that having his say was more important to him, than what he was saying is to any listener. 

Wrong! Impressions can be misleading, as in your case. Please take the time to watch it again and you may just change your mind.

20 hours ago, 2bees said:

Is it to do with the leader and his gang having all the strings?

No; it is to do with anything but that.

20 hours ago, paswt said:

2bees, he was unwell missed 3 council meetings ( grounds for being sacked ) so he resigned before he was pushed.

paswt: Correct. However, the reason he became unwell is still to be revealed. Whether he is brave enough to go that far and I don't believe he is, it would create shockwaves of titanic proportions!

20 hours ago, homarus said:

Jeez 24 minutes to allude to somethings that every Manxie knows already, that DCC are as bent as nine Bob notes !

I agree it was at least 20 minutes too long and rambling but the next installment will be much shorter, more to the point and a bit more revealing. So watch this space!

20 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

It's a rewarding experience that will enrich your understanding of local politics.

Yes, it is and his demeanor shows the stress and psychological effect it has had on his life.

Lets face it, politics is a 'dirty' business and downright filthy, especially here on the Rock. Mr Oliphant-Smith only had and still only has one agenda and one agenda alone; and that is to help the people who cannot help themselves. Anything wrong with that?

Please note: This topic is serious! Frivolous/senseless and petty posts will be totally ignored, so please stop wasting yours and our time!

P.S. maynragh: Get off of your horse and drink your milk

Edited by Christians A hole
Addition

22 hours ago, Declan said:

I get the impression that having his say was more important to him, than what he was saying is to any listener. 

24 minutes ago, Christians A hole said:

Wrong! Impressions can be misleading, as in your case. Please take the time to watch it again and you may just change your mind.

I think you're reading too much into that comment. I meant that the office politics of Douglas Corpy isn't that important, Douglas Corpy isn't that important. It seems like it to the councillors no doubt, but many of them an inflated sense of their own importance.

He seems an ok guy, he probably was  a little unfairly treated when he took up his new hobby as a politician. But what he says, although he cares deeply about it, really isn't worth 24 minutes of video. A one page letter would have done the job, but that takes more effort to write it succinctly and clearly than laconically rambling on in a video.

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think you're reading too much into that comment.

Yes, I probably did.

2 minutes ago, maynragh said:

I will take your avoidance of the points I have made as an acknowledgement that you understand what I have said is correct.

Not at all, as most of it is irrelevant and the rest is a load of bollocks! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Christians A hole said:

paswt: Correct. However, the reason he became unwell is still to be revealed. Whether he is brave enough to go that far and I don't believe he is, it would create shockwaves of titanic proportions!

I agree it was at least 20 minutes too long and rambling but the next installment will be much shorter, more to the point and a bit more revealing. So watch this space!

Yes, it is and his demeanor shows the stress and psychological effect it has had on his life.

Lets face it, politics is a 'dirty' business and downright filthy, especially here on the Rock. Mr Oliphant-Smith only had and still only has one agenda and one agenda alone; and that is to help the people who cannot help themselves. Anything wrong with that?

Please note: This topic is serious! Frivolous/senseless and petty posts will be totally ignored, so please stop wasting yours and our time!

45 minutes ago, Christians A hole said:

Oh Goody ,nothing worse than half a story !!