Hitherto unstated complications of Brexit

Barrie Stevens

Yes, investments and go up as well as down but losing over £25k in three days is crazy. I hope your right on your five year forecast, but the sad truth is no one knows on that one.

Of course not, or we'd all be millionaires. But if you were invested across a portfolio you must have gained healthily last week. Or do you not count that? If you have foreign denominated holdings you will have gained in sterling. Let's get the pain out of the way before the structural decay in the EU makes ours look like a tea party.

I don't have anywhere near that sort of money or any significant investments that are open to the changing market. I am interested to hear what investments would have made significant gains since last Friday, especially given that the World market has reacted by dropping in value. I'm all ears on this one.

GOLD GOLD GOLD.

Gold has risen but not by anywhere near enough to cover a £25k loss since Friday. As you seem to want to answer for Woolley, what would have gained in sterling to an extend of £25k or similar since Friday. I'm no city boy trader but I expect the answer is nothing.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, investments and go up as well as down but losing over £25k in three days is crazy. I hope your right on your five year forecast, but the sad truth is no one knows on that one.

Of course not, or we'd all be millionaires. But if you were invested across a portfolio you must have gained healthily last week. Or do you not count that? If you have foreign denominated holdings you will have gained in sterling. Let's get the pain out of the way before the structural decay in the EU makes ours look like a tea party.

I don't have anywhere near that sort of money or any significant investments that are open to the changing market. I am interested to hear what investments would have made significant gains since last Friday, especially given that the World market has reacted by dropping in value. I'm all ears on this one.

GOLD GOLD GOLD.

Gold has risen but not by anywhere near enough to cover a £25k loss since Friday. As you seem to want to answer for Woolley, what would have gained in sterling to an extend of £25k or similar since Friday. I'm no city boy trader but I expect the answer is nothing.

patience,if your stocks are half decent we will be better of in the medium long term,but being shackled to a corpse the EUSSR is a big loser,italy is in BIB BIG shit by all accounts in all the finance rags.

What's happening now is what had been baked into the cake already, so to speak. It just needed a trigger. Everything was artificially high; bank stocks were overpriced for all the crap on their balance sheets, the stock markets have been kept afloat by free printed money and corporate stock buybacks and everything was pointing to some sort of pullback.

I changed my pension into a cash fund last week, not because I genuinely thought Brexit would realistically happen but because it was a potential trigger for a waterfall event which was overdue. For what it's worth I've still held gold and granted it's rallied but it'll drop again once things settle, just as everything else rises again. Time usually evens things out.

I'm far from an expert in this but a dollar rally looks likely to me so I wouldn't be surprised to see the U.S. stock market reach new highs as people look to a safe haven for blue chip corporate stocks well away from Europe.

somebody will be making big money right now. somebody that already has lots of money. making it of lots of people that dont have lots of money. strange how things turn out

You could remove the "right now" out of that & it would still be very true. And that, fundamentally, is what is wrong with the world. Reward is so far separated from labour.

Death, Famine, War & Conquest are all up. Pestilance and locust farming are looking a pretty good bet too currently.

Embarrassing shit football team too.

Britain has gone from super power to a crumbling nation of failure in 3 days.

It was the perfect way to end Brexit week though wasn't it? A pitiful display for the UKs national football team and an embarrassing train ride home for England fans; 60% of whom probably voted to leave.

Embarrassing shit football team too.

Britain has gone from super power to a crumbling nation of failure in 3 days.

It's okay, I'm sure we can always petition for a referendum to replay the match.

Can I assume that Woolley's silence on how he would have made £25k since last Friday rather than losing money is indicative that he actually doesn't know?

I didn't see the question. No. I would say the only way to better that would be by doing a lot of risky shorting or of course buying a substantial 6 figure sum in dollars. But it's a moot point because it just doesn't work that way. I did say last night that if you lost £25k since last Friday, you would presumably have made about a five figure sum in the market surge prior to the vote as a "Remain" vote was been priced in. Obviously, I don't know what you are invested in but there were gains across the board. Is that the case? But markets rise and fall. Over time they will come back. It's a paper loss which is not crystallised unless and until you realise the asset.

Archived