How Fast Is Your Broadband ?

I struggle to get 10Mb/s on the Island.

Virgin have just upgraded me free of charge at my house in Cheshire.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5466833679.png

Is it correct that Virgin , then C&W , paid a huge amount of money to run cable through the Island to Ireland ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit surprised about the slow upload the OP posted, should be faster IMO.

From deepest, darkest SW England to London:

5467363671.png

ETA: All due to EU funding.

I am grateful to the OP, and I'll share this in case other people have the same issue. On checking my speed, I discovered that I was receiving download speeds of just over 10 mbps, around a quarter of what is claimed by Wimanx for their VDSL offering, which I have. Checked my account details on Wimanx, and found that I have two user names 'nnnnn-1@wimanx.com' and 'nnnnn-1.vdsl@wimanx.com'. Wimanx configured my VDSL router for me, but left the account name in my router set to 'nnnnn-1l@wimanx.com'. I changed it to nnnnn-1.vdsl@wimanx.com and bingo - four times the download speed!

Check which account you are using if you have Wimanx!

All three of those tests are at times when isp's are at minimum strain, give us a 6pm for a real idea what its like.

Mine is consistently hovering at ~40 at all times of the day/night with a +/- of no more than 2.

All three of those tests are at times when isp's are at minimum strain, give us a 6pm for a real idea what its like.

In my case only the upload drops to ~ 13 MB/s, download is rarely below 50 MB/s. We're not far away from a multi-terrabit backbone, maybe that's why?

5467363671.png

I gotta say I am jealous. In Douglas I am lucky these days to get 10Mb/s download and rarely break 1.0Mb/s upload. But I did change from MT for a better deal cost wise, although it was little better speedwise then.

5467363671.png

I gotta say I am jealous. In Douglas I am lucky these days to get 10Mb/s download and rarely break 1.0Mb/s upload. But I did change from MT for a better deal cost wise, although it was little better speedwise then.

Yes, it's good. I run my own mail server using MailEnable and have a backup web server here in case my main cluster in the US goes offline - for example when a major node fails.

Sadly I'm not on the 300MB/s roll-out, with Brexit I will probably never be.

My son just sent this from a very rural bit of the Peak District just for comparison. I asked him to test a busy time so he chose the lunch hour. At quieter times it's 45 ish down and 30 up.

5467951052.png

No phone line rental either. Wish we had this on the rock.

Archived