How Fast Is Your Broadband ?

Ignoring the fact that router config addresses vary between manufacturers and may have also been changed by pre-configured routers supplied by ISPs, and also ignoring the fact that these pre-configured routers often have the default passwords changed (and if you find yours is still admin/password or a default variant, change it immediately) that's not a great test as you are only testing the sync speed between you and your isp exchange equipment with zero packetloss or packet headers, and without any ISP throughput limits or control systems and isn't going to be indicative of your expected connectivity speed.

It's kinda like measuring how fast you can travel down a road by flying in a plane rather than using a car which has to account for traffic lights, road surface and other cars on the road.

And cyclists.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignoring the fact that router config addresses vary between manufacturers and may have also been changed by pre-configured routers supplied by ISPs, and also ignoring the fact that these pre-configured routers often have the default passwords changed (and if you find yours is still admin/password or a default variant, change it immediately) that's not a great test as you are only testing the sync speed between you and your isp exchange equipment with zero packetloss or packet headers, and without any ISP throughput limits or control systems and isn't going to be indicative of your expected connectivity speed.

It's kinda like measuring how fast you can travel down a road by flying in a plane rather than using a car which has to account for traffic lights, road surface and other cars on the road.

Right ok, sorry for trying to be of some help, guess I should haave known better. Anyway, for anyone not suffering from superior moderator complex, the advice is for MT customers using a netgear router which is probably a large percentage of ISP and router combinations. For those with different combinations I'm sure google will give you the ip address etc.

Maybe not to you, but as many have noted, you are beyond help.

If this thread is an example of the quality of the help you're offering, I don't think I'm missing out on anything useful.

Maybe not to you, but as many have noted, you are beyond help.

If this thread is an example of the quality of the help you're offering, I don't think I'm missing out on anything useful.

Lol, you really are a pretty sorry excuse for a moderator, more like a spiteful little child who was bullied at school. Has growing up ever occurred to you as a life option?

Look, I get that you're cross that someone pointed out how woefully useless the inept "help" you offered was but perhaps you'd be better off posting about subjects you have a vague understanding of. Although looking at your recent posting history I'm at a loss to guess exactly what they would be other than being an internet toughguy. Good luck!

Look, I get that you're cross that someone pointed out how woefully useless the inept "help" you offered was but perhaps you'd be better off posting about subjects you have a vague understanding of. Although looking at your recent posting history I'm at a loss to guess exactly what they would be other than being an internet toughguy. Good luck!

Ha ha, please don't flatter yourself, and you really should stop digging now as once again you've made a complete prick of yourself And the only ''woefully useless and inept'' advice as far as I can see was when someone said ''hey ans, you know what you're talking about, why not become a mod?" I can agree that you're at a loss though, in fact you're a fucking dead loss. Good luck.

Back to the actual topic, I had a mess about with my wifi router and seems someone had moved it against a mirror. I have moved it a bit away from it and directed the pointy thing away from the mirror. It seems to be running a lot quicker now. Now I just need to fix the ugly reflection the mirror is emitting.

Back to the actual topic, I had a mess about with my wifi router and seems someone had moved it against a mirror. I have moved it a bit away from it and directed the pointy thing away from the mirror. It seems to be running a lot quicker now. Now I just need to fix the ugly reflection the mirror is emitting.

This is a cracking example of how the problem is usually nothing to do with the isp!

So many things impact on the wireless round your house and so many people refuse to accept that and blame the ISP

Archived