How Fast Is Your Broadband ?

@ monkeyboy: (MT) claiming it was nothing to do with them.

In my experience that is their stock answer to any problem. You have to push to get them to acknowledge any fault. And they seldom put a known fault notification on their website. For a communications company their communication isn't much to write home about.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ monkeyboy: (MT) claiming it was nothing to do with them.

In my experience that is their stock answer to any problem. You have to push to get them to acknowledge any fault. And they seldom put a known fault notification on their website. For a communications company their communication isn't much to write home about.

I totally agree, but tbh I found it easier just to ride out the few remaining months on my contract & combine a house move with a move to Sure, saving myself £10 per month into the bargain :).

Whats the cost of line rental these days ? Im thinking of dropping Bluewave for one of the others.

Also Sure do a a superfast broad band package and a superfast pro, the spec seems the same so whats the difference ?

Download = 6.83mbps

Upload = 0.69kbps

Manxnet in Douglas

Grim isn't it, for what we have to pay here. Every time i go away im in awe of the "it just works intenet" when we get back our broadband brings back fond memories of 1990's dial up how quaint.

5472470227.png

In a village in the rural North.

About half my speeds - guessing you're ~1 mile or so from the exchange / router box, I'm 400m-ish from the box.

And in completely separate countries and infrastructures.

I expect the infrastructures are in the main the same, or do you think the IOM is totally different?

Download = 6.83mbps

Upload = 0.69kbps

Manxnet in Douglas

Grim isn't it, for what we have to pay here. Every time i go away im in awe of the "it just works intenet" when we get back our broadband brings back fond memories of 1990's dial up how quaint.

This is about my average. All wired to router.

Things are fine and I'm thankful to have a connection at all but only in the way that someone 100 years ago was happy to have a car (with a man walking in front with a red flag.)

Capture.jpg

There's an easy way to tell what download/upload speed you're getting from the isp at the router and how much you are losing between router and pc. Open your internet browser and type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and enter, you'll be asked for a username and password, un = admin and pw = password. This will take you into your router settings, look for '' router status'' and enter. In there it should tell you what download and upload speed you are getting at the socket between router and isp, then compare this against what you are seeing on a speed test at the pc. You will be able to tell if your getting a below par service or whether there is a problem with your equipment before you go calling out an engineer.

Ignoring the fact that router config addresses vary between manufacturers and may have also been changed by pre-configured routers supplied by ISPs, and also ignoring the fact that these pre-configured routers often have the default passwords changed (and if you find yours is still admin/password or a default variant, change it immediately) that's not a great test as you are only testing the sync speed between you and your isp exchange equipment with zero packetloss or packet headers, and without any ISP throughput limits or control systems and isn't going to be indicative of your expected connectivity speed.

It's kinda like measuring how fast you can travel down a road by flying in a plane rather than using a car which has to account for traffic lights, road surface and other cars on the road.

Archived