The Best Decade to be Born In?

Gladys

...................most days I feel about 50 yrs old and sometimes just in my teens, then occasionally it hit's home that life is finite, you know, you plant a tree and wonder if you will see it grow. A bittersweet time of life I think.

I am grateful that I have made it this far and in general seen a better world growing up. I have enjoyed my life on the whole, many ups and downs but have a loving family and 7 lovely grand kids all around the world, (no I haven't sown wild oats willy nilly, our kids have dispersed around the world themselves) lol. .............and I still play a mean blues guitar. (well I think so) hah!

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 6

I try to take a few moments each day to reflect on how miraculous life and nature are and although it is easy to become blase, I do my very best never to take things for granted, particularly here on this beautiful Island. I find it fosters a real sense of wellbeing. If you are in reasonable health and you have eyes to see and ears to listen, you have riches beyond measure in any material terms. You can watch the sun rise and listen to the birds sing in the morning as you take a refreshing walk through the forest. You can marvel at the heavens in the deepness of the darkest night as you wrap up against the chill bracing wind. You can hear the waves lap gently on the shore as you lie on a warm sun-kissed beach or be entranced by the ferocity of that same sea at the height of a winter storm - deafening, but never does the immensity of that sound jar discordantly on the hearing. Sights, sounds, smells - all combine in concert to embellish our fragile yet exquisite existence.

As we move through life among our loved ones, family and friends, inevitably those we once held dear are no longer there except in our hearts and memories. One of the hardest things to accept is our mortality. That we will never see those people again or share their presence. We feel deprived of their love and their company. If you still have your mum and dad, make sure you treasure them. If there is a family rift, try to heal it. It's tough when they've gone, and even now I can still close my eyes and hear my mum talking and laughing with us. Occasionally, I could swear I hear her calling me, just like she used to. Just the mind playing tricks. But it's the circle of life and we will also pass the baton on to the young who one day will miss us too. When we are in our prime we feel indestructible although at the time we are unaware of it. You don't know you have joints and muscles when you're 20. Everything simply works like an efficient machine. Youngsters - make the most of it because one day you'll realise that things are not functioning quite so well as they did, and some things bloody well hurt. It just creeps up on you, and nobody warns you! It's strange though, one thing that always feels as good, warm and wonderful as it ever did is to snuggle down flesh on flesh with the love of your life. That joy never fades, never gets old.

Occasionally I get into reflective mood at the office and ask people if they ever stop to consider how blessed they are to have the gift of life and all its joys. Of course, the reaction I get is rolling, glazed-over eyes and a "he's off on one again" look. People can find it quite unsettling to contemplate existence.

Whatever your age, whatever your favourite decade; isn't life wonderful?

• Like 4

Lovely post again, Woolley. Been having quite a crappy time of late but my head clears and I find a perspective when I walk the dog on Marine Drive. Sparkling sea, clear skies, distant ships plying along the horizon and, possibly, a hovering hawk to watch. Puts you in your place in the greater scheme of things.

• Like 5

Lovely post again, Woolley. Been having quite a crappy time of late but my head clears and I find a perspective when I walk the dog on Marine Drive. Sparkling sea, clear skies, distant ships plying along the horizon and, possibly, a hovering hawk to watch. Puts you in your place in the greater scheme of things.

...and you can see the Rovers from there.