The Best Decade to be Born In?

Gladys

Plus the division between east and west Germanty was created by America and the west, not the Soviets. The idea that the Berlin Wall was an evil wall put up by the Soviets to keep people in or out is one of the greatest PR fabrications of the 20th century.

Plus the division between east and west Germanty was created by America and the west, not the Soviets. The idea that the Berlin Wall was an evil wall put up by the Soviets to keep people in or out is one of the greatest PR fabrications of the 20th century.

The subject of the Berlin Wall (and the division of Germany post WW2) is very interesting. Obviously the division was amongst nations with significantly different ideologies, most starkly being between the USA and USSR. Legitimate history teaching does not generally identify the Wall as an evil wall put up by the Soviets so I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from on that one, although they is obvious rhetoric relating to the number of people who died trying to cross it. What is undeniable is that it was built by the DDR (under the control of the USSR) as a reaction to mass emigration from the DDR to the GDR. At the time the DDR qualified its building as a means of keeping the fascist West and its influence out.

• Like 1

Ilap, So why did they build the Wall then?

I remember being in the cadets and driving in the canvas army trucks across West Germany to see the Wall at the height of its repression- read Stasiland to get an impression of what it was like, or 1984 or Kafka.

I have a friend over here in Germany who was born on exactly the same day as me but in the DDR. Talking to her and her husband about the time before reunification is fascinating. Her husband looked at his Stasi files after the end of the DDR and they had details down to the number and names of the various musical band badges he wore on his jacket.

The wall wasn't even built until 1961 whereas the city had been divided since 1945. The reasons for building a wall are fairly obvious. The reasons why the Americans divided up Berlin are also fairly obvious. There was a Cold War on.

Not sure what this is an answer to, it is also a very simplistic overview.

I do envy the generation before me who didn't have all this computer, technology and smartphones. I'm just thankful I was still born at a time when kids didn't start to have mobile phones in school until I was on my way out. It's true that these things can serve to empower people and make life easier; at the same time, I think they make it too easy to find information, to the point that people now have no attention span and don't retain knowledge or engage in serious analysis of information. Need an answer to a question? Just google it. No consideration that what is on the internet is most likely wrong or a superficial answer. It's not as if they're going on JSTOR and reading peer-reviewed journals to find answers. They're literally going onto the first page that google comes up with, which is usually Wikipedia, which can be edited by anyone. It's no substitute for real research or learning. People are being dumbed down.

Succinct and accurate summation, Ilap. This is a major problem. Information is easily gained, so it is not valued and tends to be skimmed over rather than absorbed. News comes in soundbites, so the millennial attention span is very short and it is a disease infecting older generations too. Quick look then on to the next thing that catches your eye, and I admit that I find myself doing it too. It is having a deleterious effect on quality journalism because nobody can be bothered with in depth analysis and the young certainly don't want to pay for it. One of the blessings of the days before the torrent of digital data was that we had time. Time to read, time to reflect, time to form a view.

Young people also seem to live in the virtual world while the real one passes them by. A few days ago I was in a queue of about a dozen at the sorting office. Aside from one man who was engaged in an argument on his phone, the rest of them were feverishly manipulating their smart devices. It's weird. Last week we were away staying at a hotel across, and at breakfast three lads, clearly on some kind of leisure trip, at the next table to us were similarly engaged online with their phones while totally ignoring each other. What memories are they going to take back? Decades ago when that was me and my mates, we would have been quickfire conversation, banter and quips. Even now, unless I require my phone for business I prefer to stay incommunicado when out and about for leisure. It seems bizarre to me to want to report every mundane facet of one's life to the social media god. I have to be careful when I go on Facebook otherwise they'd all "unfriend" me. "Eating a delicious burger and latte?" is enough to get my posting fingers twitching to put something like, "Yeah? Who gives a stuff?"

• Like 3

1946 of course...........( I was 70 yesterday by the way)...........................my standard of living has risen every decade and I don't just mean financially.........yes we have had 3 or 4 financial crashes but over all things have got steadily better for me, health care, food, both quantity and availabilty, clothes, both quality and quantity, safety at work and equal rights to name just a few benefits

sadly it all seems to have become extreme now and things are becoming manic so, yes my birth decade and life period appear to have been the. 'golden era'.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 3