The Best Decade to be Born In?

Gladys

I agree that the swipe of a finger access to online information is very handy but bound to dull the memory.

Before the electronic 'phonebooks we used to remember lots of family's long telephone numbers, addresses, birthdays and so much other day to day information. Literacy was expected.

Some of us as children were fortunate and loved each volume of the Encyclopaedia Britannica that stirred the imagination. But I think that despite so much information being so readily available and too easily accessed online these days, the result could be dangerous.

What happens when the lights go out?

• Like 2

90s was a pretty good decade to be a young adult. House music, clubbing, end of the Cold War and fall of the Berlin Wall, pre 9/11 terrorism hysteria. A lot of positivity in the 90s.

Don't want to be pedantic but the Berlin Wall fell in the 80s.

Only just. Nov 89, so it had a far bigger impact on the 90s than the 80s.

One of the many consequences of the digital revolution for education and schools was the idea that real knowledge was less important than knowing how to find and access it. The ability to use a computer became the primary learning objective. It's a sleight of hand that is still fooling a lot of people and which has failed a generation. When I was at school it wasn't enough to know what the library looked like and where it was; we were expected to use it.

• Like 1

One very real advantage of the school library, was that someone had the opportunity to vet what went on the shelves.

A very real problem with digital information systems is that few people question the accuracy of the information they are presented with. Sadly, much of the information available is simply wrong.

• Like 3

For me it would be the 1950's.

First generation for centuries not having to go to war, the end of national service, being part of the best pop music scene we have ever seen (60s to 80s), see the birth of the space age and witnessed the moon landings, all the way to the recent discovery of exoplanets and the potential discovery of life elsewhere in the universe within 20 years from now, as well as see the computer mature from building sized computers to 1000 times that equivalent in a wrist watch or mobile phone. Also, freedom from religious hokus pokus, and being free from persecution in rejecting it. And as well as all that, some of the best pension deals ever witnessed, and far more easily getting to own your own home.

ETA: 30 years added to life expectancy, and tremendous advances in surgery and the eradication of diseases.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the swipe of a finger access to online information is very handy but bound to dull the memory.

Before the electronic 'phonebooks we used to remember lots of family's long telephone numbers, addresses, birthdays and so much other day to day information. Literacy was expected.

Some of us as children were fortunate and loved each volume of the Encyclopaedia Britannica that stirred the imagination. But I think that despite so much information being so readily available and too easily accessed online these days, the result could be dangerous.

What happens when the lights go out?

Evolution will have to start over again.biggrin.png

• Like 1

One very real advantage of the school library, was that someone had the opportunity to vet what went on the shelves.

A very real problem with digital information systems is that few people question the accuracy of the information they are presented with. Sadly, much of the information available is simply wrong.

I don't believe a word of what you've just printed.....Happy now?

1946 of course...........( I was 70 yesterday by the way)...........................my standard of living has risen every decade and I don't just mean financially.........yes we have had 3 or 4 financial crashes but over all things have got steadily better for me, health care, food, both quantity and availabilty, clothes, both quality and quantity, safety at work and equal rights to name just a few benefits

sadly it all seems to have become extreme now and things are becoming manic so, yes my birth decade and life period appear to have been the. 'golden era'.

Got a point Doc you would have been too young for national service and never been involved in a war, rock 'n roll ( Buddy Holly , Brenda Lee, the Big Bopper , Summertime Blues (Addie?), Billy Fury , followed by the beatles , Manfred Man , Swinging Blue Jeans , the 4 pennies (remember them ? lol) the pill came into common usage late 60's , no Aids , summers of peace and love , Beachboys/ Jan and Dean , London was "poppin", Stones in Hyde Park , free concerts on Hampstead Heath

OK you had rationing (just) but a healthy diet and all the joys of outside toilets no central heating , being weighed down by the blankets ( no duvets in the 50's) and cold (winter of 63(?) but I think that was a small price to pay for all the "upsides",you aren't too far wrong Doc .

Happy birthday , it's not a bad old life , every day is a good day at your age although some are a tad better than others

flowers.gif

• Like 3

Very true. Not to mention the, shall we say, less than wholesome content of certain facets of what is available to children now. A great shame.

For me it would be the 1950's.

First generation for centuries not having to go to war, the end of national service, being part of the best pop music scene we have ever seen (60s to 80s), see the birth of the space age and witnessed the moon landings, all the way to the recent discovery of exoplanets and the potential discovery of life elsewhere in the universe within 20 years from now, as well as see the computer mature from building sized computers to 1000 times that equivalent in a wrist watch or mobile phone. Also, freedom from religious hokus pokus, and being free from persecution in rejecting it. And as well as all that, some of the best pension deals ever witnessed, and far more easily getting to own your own home.

ETA: 30 years added to life expectancy, and tremendous advances in surgery and the eradication of diseases.

I've said in other threads that we may well be seeing the high water mark of longevity and wellbeing. It's certainly arguable. We shall see.

• Like 1

1946 of course...........( I was 70 yesterday by the way)...........................my standard of living has risen every decade and I don't just mean financially.........yes we have had 3 or 4 financial crashes but over all things have got steadily better for me, health care, food, both quantity and availabilty, clothes, both quality and quantity, safety at work and equal rights to name just a few benefits

sadly it all seems to have become extreme now and things are becoming manic so, yes my birth decade and life period appear to have been the. 'golden era'.

Belated happy birthday,doc. You're still a mere nipper at 70 these days.

• Like 1