British Road Race Cycling Championships

notwell

Maybe not directly, but they have to underwrite the event. If you look at the tender documentation for the 2016 National Road Championships, the associated projected budget shows a loss of around £90k.

However that is presumably based on the event taking place of the British mainland. There will be considerable additional costs involved in getting not just the teams but other associated people such as officials and the film crew to and from the Island and accommodating them here.

I doubt it will be that considerable really over and above those figures. Another 10 - 15 k perhaps?

Also where is it stated teams travel is paid for?

It doesn't and presumably it normally isn't. But there may be extra incentives needed to encourage some to participate due to very high extra costs and additional time required. Normally most participants and their support teams will be travelling to and/or from the championships in the day - they'll need two overnight stays here. So some riders may give it a miss without extra help (which in turn will diminish the revenue from entry fees).

The budget also says the host venue can pick up extra revenue from sponsorship and corporate packages which isn't included in the £90k figure.

But that's true of all possible venues. To justify extra income you have to show that this normally happens (surely they'd say?) or that the Island will have the possibility for such things that other places don't.

Alternatively it could be that the DED is particularly skilled in raising such additional income. Hmmm

I suspect they've paid £250k over the odds for it.

They haven't paid anything to get it. The real question is what they have promised to cover.

We'll see. The costs will come out.

Now that is wildly optimistic. You don't work for the DED do you?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The budget also says the host venue can pick up extra revenue from sponsorship and corporate packages which isn't included in the £90k figure.

Good find there Roger.

Whilst I think this is good news, don't get excited by that. 'Sponsorship' on this Island is usually just another branch of government slapping their logo on something: it is usually a disguised subsidy.

DED have enough taxpayers cash to throw at this...but it doesn't mean that they got the best deal. They are desperate for a win to just justify themselves.

But what price a win?

Oh my fucking God, you are such a miserable, insufferable, down trodden, negative twat.

You epitomise why these forums have become utterly unbearable most of the time and why there are only a handful of active posters left.

Please, can you vanish for a while again? Cheers.

May I just add - fuck off and go spoil a different topic

In Albert's defence (not often I am want to type that), the title isn't "British Road Race Cycling Championships Positivity Group Hug".

He raised a question which in almost every other thread has the same response "IOMG money wasting bastards (or words to that effect).

I'm not disagreeing that this is good news. But whenever IOMG are involved I am reminded "beware MHKs and civil service bearing gifts".

Will it be run on the isle of man motorcycle road racing course?

Probably yes. Very unimaginative, whilst I do agree it is a good thing and I think the island can be pleased to have bought the 2017 edition of the British Championship. However, it is not pertinent to ask who much has been paid, and whether we as taxpayers have paid over the odds. There has to be accountability. Rather than use the Mountain Course, perhaps they could use other roads, country lanes etc. Perhaps using the south of the island, the S100 Circuit, Ports Erin, St Mary and then to Peel etc. The powers that be (DED) are obsessed with the TT.

Well it's a small island so you'd expect some of the main roads (including the TT course) to be used surely? Some of those races will no doubt need a bit of distance and if that is the case then making use of the TT course seems natural.

It isn't, as you would call it, unimaginative.

It'll probably be 3 or 4 laps of the TT course. Makes sense to use the climb from Ramsey to Snaefell, as it's the biggest one. And also it's pretty flat from Douglas to Ramsey on that route, probably as flat as it gets here, which they'll want to include. But all cycle races here seem to use the TT course, so yes it is unimaginative. They could also use the sloc, the coast road, climb up Sulby or Druidale etc which could all add to tactics used in the race and show off other parts of the island. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm certain they won't, as I expect it will be used to promote the TT course.

I don't see any safety or access issues. Have you seen the roads they use in the TDF?

I'm not saying they shouldn't use the TT course, just that it's unimaginative and that there are other options. Though I suppose they all know the drill when it comes to closing the TT roads so it would take less planning.

Archived