British Road Race Cycling Championships

notwell

The course is likely to be a circuit or two of the Mountain TT course with a shorter finishing course of several laps that run by the Grandstand with a Grandstand finish. This means the TT course won't be entirely out of action for the whole event and will open as soon as possible.

Also if it is run like the international event last year there will be staged road opening between Ballaugh Bridge and Douglas Corner at certain times during the event to give reasonable round Island access whilst the Mountain TT course is in operation.

also footpaths etc may still be in operation so there is more flexibility than when you are running the TT itself.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skelly on MMTV says this event is costing 'just over a hundred thousand'.

No problem with investing if it brings financial benefit to the island.

Me neither. It's just Skelly's "previous" with costings that I'm suspicious of...

But something like this is a far better option to thrown money at than a concert at the Villa Marina for some fading 70s pop-stars. I wouldn't even mind if it ran a loss, as it helps to support the image of the Island as a place for outdoors types to come and have a go and that, and some bikes, is a good basis to hang a tourism strategy on.

• 3 weeks later...

The Government Mouthpiece Manx Radio reporting the words of Rob Callister this morning, who says the cycling teams are withdrawing due to cost of getting here. He is appealing to hoteliers etc not to increase costs. Hoteliers and the Steam Packet will increase prices due to supply and demand. Whilst I agree that Steam Packet do take liberties with their pricing structures, Government appealing and handwringing won't wash and won't influence them to reduce the prices. To some extent DED should have factored hotel prices, accommodation availability and transportation costs etc, when they bid for the championships. Perhaps some joined up thinking may have been in order? Hoteliers have to make a living, and in all honesty who can blame them if they wished to hike their rates. Let's face most of the teams would come with motor homes and trailers for bikes and equipment. I'm sure some of big the teams have converted or multi purpose motorhomes - I doubt they stay in hotels.

The Government Mouthpiece Manx Radio reporting the words of Rob Callister this morning, who says the cycling teams are withdrawing due to cost of getting here. He is appealing to hoteliers etc not to increase costs. Hoteliers and the Steam Packet will increase prices due to supply and demand. Whilst I agree that Steam Packet do take liberties with their pricing structures, Government appealing and handwringing won't wash and won't influence them to reduce the prices. To some extent DED should have factored hotel prices, accommodation availability and transportation costs etc, when they bid for the championships. Perhaps some joined up thinking may have been in order? Hoteliers have to make a living, and in all honesty who can blame them if they wished to hike their rates. Let's face most of the teams would come with motor homes and trailers for bikes and equipment. I'm sure some of big the teams have converted or multi purpose motorhomes - I doubt they stay in hotels.

So the politicians can have the prestige but god forbid anyone wants to earn some money from it...

Archived