Dashboard Cams

Manx Bean

You lot can have a valid opinion when you've had a family member killed by a driver on a phone.

Is it OK if I have an opinion based on the experiences of one of my best mates. It has been toned down to hopefully not upset those who might be a bit sensitive.

At 59 years old, he was hit from behind whilst stationary, sat on a bike, waiting for the traffic. The young driver who hit him (and another biker also stationary and next to him) was texting as he drove a works van. The police found he had been constantly texting for over 10 minutes and concluded he was doing 40 mph on impact.

Sorry to be graphic but my friend has lost his right leg just below the knee. His left leg is mostly paralised. He has a T10 spinal injury which means he will at best shuffle with crutches for a few yards on his prosthetic limb (mostly he will have to use a wheelchair) and will likely have the rest of his life pissing into a bag and having a colonic irrigation every single day which takes an hour plus half an hour for his wife to clear up afterwards. Every day. He has constant urine infections for the 9 catheter insertions every 24 hours. He has lost his business and is penniless after over a year in hospital of which 2 months was in a coma.

You could therefore understand why I wouldn't ever take this subject lightly or ever see any defensible reason why someone should use a mobile whilst driving. Now I've said all that I am however very uneasy about going to the police or going on social media with what are basically home made uncontrolled movies.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Anyone who buys a dash cam is either a boy racer (who posts their stupid exploits on YouTube and gets themselves arrested whilst stupidly providing their own evidence), or is just an irritating busy body. They usually fall into category two as there is no point to them other than being a pathetic busy body who goes blabbing to the cops whenever they see something they don't like. Same as those stupid cyclists who wear the helmet cams. Camcorders are just more ammunition for twats to be twats with.

Well that is one possibility. Another much more reasonable one would be to just have one on all the time whilst you are driving to defend unscrupulous 3rd party claims. A bonus is that it moderates your driving too.

I have had a dashcam for about 4 years now and have never once gone to the coppers or put some stupid video on you tube. However if I was in a smash caused by someone else who was now blaming me, I wouldn't object if the coppers or insurance wanted to see it. That is not the same as grassing someone up when you have suffered no detriment.

I'd report him just for having a Nissan Navarra! Useless waste of 15 tons of pig iron, an ego trip for the type of person who would also have a Pit Bull and a 60'' TV.

An inconsiderate choice of vehicle could also indicate an inconsiderate style of driving? Oh, it did.

I agree. Anyone who buys a dash cam is either a boy racer (who posts their stupid exploits on YouTube and gets themselves arrested whilst stupidly providing their own evidence), or is just an irritating busy body. They usually fall into category two as there is no point to them other than being a pathetic busy body who goes blabbing to the cops whenever they see something they don't like. Same as those stupid cyclists who wear the helmet cams. Camcorders are just more ammunition for twats to be twats with.

Well that is one possibility. Another much more reasonable one would be to just have one on all the time whilst you are driving to defend unscrupulous 3rd party claims. A bonus is that it moderates your driving too.

I have had a dashcam for about 4 years now and have never once gone to the coppers or put some stupid video on you tube. However if I was in a smash caused by someone else who was now blaming me, I wouldn't object if the coppers or insurance wanted to see it. That is not the same as grassing someone up when you have suffered no detriment.

To be honest if you've not captured any incriminating footage in 4 years you've been wasting your time.

If I lived in the UK I certainly would have one fitted just to have as evidence should any incident arise. There are far too many dodgy try ons now in the UK or people denying fault etc when they have caused a crash.

If I see anything untoward while I'm driving I just record it with my mobile phone. Just saved myself a few quid on a dashcam.

Ah. You need Nexar https://www.getnexar.com/ - I tried it one day last summer (I don't have a dash cam) to record the beauty of the drive from home to work via the Sloc, Round Table, Foxdale etc. (usually without encountering another car between Ballafesson & Foxdale). Borrowed a windscreen mount for the phone from a friend. Work's brilliantly, and hey!, your phone is hands free and where you can see it :)

Sadly I haven't had the pleasure of driving that route for a while, somebody stole a chunk of tarmac in Foxdale but the cam didn't record that crime.

Oh for fucks sake, the dude was doing the right thing by pulling over. Common sense here Police...

No he wasn't doing the right thing. The right thing would be to pull over, stop then use the phone

Good on whoever shopped the fucking wanker!

You lot can have a valid opinion when you've had a family member killed by a driver on a phone.

A £250 fine is a fucking piss tske. Should be £2,500 and an instant ban.

Valid point.

Typical 4 * 4 type mentality too. Don't give a fuck about other road users.

If you want to catch someone on their phone whilst driving (their large Chav tractor) there is a certain Bucks Road restaurant who can't seemingly put it down when he is driving.

Oh for fucks sake, the dude was doing the right thing by pulling over. Common sense here Police...

No he wasn't doing the right thing. The right thing would be to pull over, stop then use the phone

I don't see in real terms a lot of difference if any to looking at your phone and pressing the screen or button than looking at a modern touch screen radio/satnav/heating control display and pressing the screen or button. seems that if manufacturers build in something to take your eyes off the road for a second it is ok, but bring your own item into a car to distract you and it is all wrong? the police of course can quite safely drive and talk into a radio set, as can taxi drivers ?? I get people have received injuries and deaths due to people concentrating on phones and yes it shouldn't happen, but unless music players get banned from cars too it is half a job, I would guess more people have crashed swapping tapes or CD's and searching for tracks than phone users. recently across they have expanded the law to take into account other gadgets, it used to be GSM devices only IIRC, now it seems even having a device in your hand counts as using it ???

Archived