Dashboard Cams

Manx Bean

I dislike people who use their phones while driving as well, but:

Defending him, advocate Stephen Wood said: ’The conversation between the defendant and his caller actually took place while he was parked in the car park.

’The telephone rang, he lifted it up and looked at it, then stopped and spoke. So the actual call - the conversation - took place when he was stopped in the car park.

If you're the person who reported him, then you're probably a cunt.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh for fucks sake, the dude was doing the right thing by pulling over. Common sense here Police...

No he wasn't doing the right thing. The right thing would be to pull over, stop then use the phone

I don't see in real terms a lot of difference if any to looking at your phone and pressing the screen or button than looking at a modern touch screen radio/satnav/heating control display and pressing the screen or button. seems that if manufacturers build in something to take your eyes off the road for a second it is ok, but bring your own item into a car to distract you and it is all wrong? the police of course can quite safely drive and talk into a radio set, as can taxi drivers ?? I get people have received injuries and deaths due to people concentrating on phones and yes it shouldn't happen, but unless music players get banned from cars too it is half a job, I would guess more people have crashed swapping tapes or CD's and searching for tracks than phone users. recently across they have expanded the law to take into account other gadgets, it used to be GSM devices only IIRC, now it seems even having a device in your hand counts as using it ???

Whatever.

The law is pretty clear about mobile phone use in a car whilst driving.

The answer is not to answer it. Pull over (in a safe place rather than somewhere than could cause another accident) and call them back.

It's a daft law. Numbers wise it doesn't make any sense and criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens

You are a total fuckwit if you think it is okay to use a phone whilst driving. Try explaining your warped logic to the victims of accidents caused by idiots using their phones.

we have front and rear mounted cameras in our trucks, it makes your insurance cheaper.

last year it caught an accident, police sent 3 officers to collect the footage, it was a fatality, you could see on 18 frames that the driver was on the phone before ramming into the back of the slowing traffic.

the driver got sent down, i would supply footage again if it keeps these idiots off the road

I dislike people who use their phones while driving as well, but:

Defending him, advocate Stephen Wood said: ’The conversation between the defendant and his caller actually took place while he was parked in the car park.

’The telephone rang, he lifted it up and looked at it, then stopped and spoke. So the actual call - the conversation - took place when he was stopped in the car park.

If you're the person who reported him, then you're probably a cunt.

doesn't matter whether or not he spoke on it, the very act of doing what he did meant he wasn't concentrating on his driving

I used to think the same Neil, then I looked at the numbers.

The numbers would make more sense Tarne if the police actually did their jobs properly. Sit on the QB roundabout on any given day and you would be horrified at what goes on. I was waiting to be picked up the other month and the number of van/wagon drivers on their phones whilst negotiating the roundabout is frightening.

The numbers would make more sense Tarne if the police actually did their jobs properly. Sit on the QB roundabout on any given day and you would be horrified at what goes on. I was waiting to be picked up the other month and the number of van/wagon drivers on their phones whilst negotiating the roundabout is frightening.

There's enough bad driving goes on at quarterbridge without people being on their phones. I don't know how people struggle!

Anyway, I'm fine with giving you guys the benefit of the doubt, don't be on your phone talking or texting whilst driving. But the guy was literally doing the right thing (except for briefly checking his phone) - it's a police failure.

"Defending him, advocate Stephen Wood said: ’The conversation between the defendant and his caller actually took place while he was parked in the car park.

’The telephone rang, he lifted it up and looked at it, then stopped and spoke. So the actual call - the conversation - took place when he was stopped in the car park."

I think the point WTF made earlier is valid. There's a whole lot of distractions in modern cars nowadays. I see your point that what he did wasn't within the letter of the law but law often needs to be applied along with a little common sense.

I'm not having a go for the sake of it Notwell but you seem to be about "the law is the law and that's it!" Have you ever bent a rule or done anything slightly naughty? You should try it, it's quite liberating. (Please don't take this advice too far and attempt to board a plane with 2 kilos of Charlie or something dumb like that).

I think the point WTF made earlier is valid. There's a whole lot of distractions in modern cars nowadays. I see your point that what he did wasn't within the letter of the law but law often needs to be applied along with a little common sense.

I'm not having a go for the sake of it Notwell but you seem to be about "the law is the law and that's it!" Have you ever bent a rule or done anything slightly naughty? You should try it, it's quite liberating. (Please don't take this advice too far and attempt to board a plane with 2 kilos of Charlie or something dumb like that).

I get what you are saying and of course there are other distractions in the car. Like my young fella, who to be fair, should be outlawed from being in my car.thumbsup.gif

Mobile phone use though is one of those ones that needs stamping particularly hard now IMHO. It'll get worse and it's a matter of time before serious accidents occur.

I see a lot of it. It's quite extraordinary how many van/lorry drivers etc are doing it.

Archived