Dashboard Cams

Manx Bean

Yup, it does seem pretty prevalent nowadays and it's been responsible for some pretty horrific crashes, especially when it involves lorry drivers approaching lines of stationary vehicles. I don't think this guy should be penalised for checking then pulling over. In a strange way it demonstrates the guy had the opportunity to just pick up but instead chose to pull over and take the call.

We seem to be treated like idiots in some cases by the police. In this case they are assuming that most people who glance at their phone in the same way that they may glance at their Sat Nav, are going to end up on their roof in the middle of the road.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it's not beyond modern technology to just stop people fancying about with smart phones in their cars?

When I get in my car the phone attaches by Bluetooth, just get the screen to disable at that point. Calls still come in through the car, you can still make calls (if you have to) through the car, and text notifications etc can be read out to you.

Phone keypad/screen doesn't become responsive again until engine off and handbrake on.

You shouldn't have to, but the number is people texting, Facebook, etc while driving shows you can't trust the general public to self legislate.

Ps - why is it always people in big posh cars that clearly have Bluetooth fitter who have a phone stuck to the side of their face? Are they just too thick to pair them?

It's a daft law. Numbers wise it doesn't make any sense and criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens

You are a total fuckwit if you think it is okay to use a phone whilst driving. Try explaining your warped logic to the victims of accidents caused by idiots using their phones.

there is a difference between 'using' a phone and 'looking' at it but the law has decided that picking it up and looking at constitutes using it which doesn't really seem to add up. you can hold a fag, drink, choccy bar etc but hold a phone ................ ? suddenly it disables your ability to drive safely....

It's a daft law. Numbers wise it doesn't make any sense and criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens

You are a total fuckwit if you think it is okay to use a phone whilst driving. Try explaining your warped logic to the victims of accidents caused by idiots using their phones.

there is a difference between 'using' a phone and 'looking' at it but the law has decided that picking it up and looking at constitutes using it which doesn't really seem to add up. you can hold a fag, drink, choccy bar etc but hold a phone ................ ? suddenly it disables your ability to drive safely....

can you?

It's a mental distraction to use/view a phone, which is not necessarily the case with some of the other examples above.

Even viewing a notification that is just a number could have you wracking your brain to remember whose number it is.

You could also speculate that a person who would use their phone while driving is also the type of person to be inconsiderate in other road law/manners.

Surely it's not beyond modern technology to just stop people fancying about with smart phones in their cars?

How do you tell if they're the driver or a passenger? On a bus, train, etc?

Both our cars manage fine with knowing whose calls to send to the incar bluetooth.

In my car my phone is the top of the list, in the wife's hers is.

It's never been an issue

But you we talking about stopping people "fancying about" with their phones, not just playing via bluetooth.

So you get the car and phone manufacturers to work together to blank the screen or disable the keypad on any phone which is connected to the in car Bluetooth.

I haven't spent weeks looking into the ins and outs, just suggesting there must be a technical way to do it.

If I ask Siri "where is my car" she knows exactly where it's parked and since when so the phone already knows specifically when it is connected to a car.

I get that would work with your personal setup, but it wouldn't for everyone.

What do you mezzanine by "fancying around"?

It's easy to disable any phone moving faster than a walking pace, but as I first asked, how do you know if it's the driver or a passenger?

I get that would work with your personal setup, but it wouldn't for everyone.

What do you mezzanine by "fancying around"?

It's easy to disable any phone moving faster than a walking pace, but as I first asked, how do you know if it's the driver or a passenger?

I think that line is floored thumbsup.gif

Archived