Dashboard Cams

Manx Bean

I get that would work with your personal setup, but it wouldn't for everyone.

What do you mezzanine by "fancying around"?

It's easy to disable any phone moving faster than a walking pace, but as I first asked, how do you know if it's the driver or a passenger?

Jesus, it was hmjust a suggestion. I haven't looked in detail into how you make sure it's the drivers phone but I am sure they could work it out.

Easy if only one phone recognised.

There is technology that would let you know where a phone was in the vehicle (beacons and triangulation) so maybe use that and only allow it to work if not in drivers area. In that case even the drivers phone could work as long as it was passed to the passenger.

"Fancying around" = typo autocorrect version of fannying, probably similar to "mezzanine" 😂

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda guessed the typo but just wanted to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

Never drive with my phone in my pocket, it's too big these days. Generally rests in the centre consol or passenger seat. Detecting that was the drivers phone would be difficult.

What would be recognising the one phone? Bluetooth again?

Apple is being sued because it had a patent on disabling phones in cars but hadn't implemented it, presumably because of the difficulty in separating the drivers phone from passengers phones. Someone was killed by a driver using their iPhone so the family are suing Apple.

I think if it was easy to do it would possibly have been done by now, or at least an option.

Never drive with my phone in my pocket, it's too big these days. Generally rests in the centre consol or passenger seat. Detecting that was the drivers phone would be difficult.

Apple is being sued because it had a patent on disabling phones in cars but hadn't implemented it, presumably because of the difficulty in separating the drivers phone from passengers phones. Someone was killed by a driver using their iPhone so the family are suing Apple.

I think if it was easy to do it would possibly have been done by now, or at least an option.

I think you are over complicating.

It's pretty safe to assume the passengers phone isn't in the centre console, and if in use it will be either in the passenger area or driver area.

Phones can be tracked to the mm so it's really not hard to block in the drivers seat.

Anyway, like I said, was only a suggestion.

Transpose 'gun' for 'phone' and would that be acceptable??? It's there for your attention grabbing, for your use.

While driving, your attention should be on the road and conditions. Even asking your passenger to answer your phone could be a distraction as you think about the call and your response to it.

Even your passenger answering a call could be a distraction as you listen in to their call?

It boils down to.... NO phones to be answered in a car, no matter to whom the call is directed.

edit. If the law were altered to dis-allow ANY phone calls within a car, that would solve the problem of the eejits who do an emergency stop on a zebra crossing to answer their phone. No one else been annoyed by these people? I doubt it!

Eh?

My current phone is too big to comfortably be in my jeans pocket when I'm driving so I generally toss it on the passenger seat.

I don't answer it. I don't fiddle with it. My attention is on my driving.

Don't know why you think otherwise.

Aren't the interwebs great! A mere couple of minutes searching realises (source) :

client-based-indoor-positioning-overview

So doesn't look like sub-cm positioning is feasible, even with additional technology/sensors deployed.

A lot of wrong information there.

• 5 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, craggy_steve said:

Actually the Information Comissioner has explicitly published his opinion on the personal use of dashcams to report "poor driving". Basically if the dashcam is personally owned and used for personal domestic purposes then there is no need for the owner to register with the Information Commissioner - https://www.inforights.im/information-centre/data-protection/data-protection-guidance-for-individuals/surveillance-technology-cctv/

However ... the news report doesn't tell us that the dashcam was privately owned, installed for purposes other than the recording of bad driving, mounted in a privately owned vehicle, which was not at the time being used for business purposes. If any of those four is not true then it would be possible that the owner of the dashcam needed to be registered with the Information Commissioner for the purpose, and display appropriate warnings visible from outside the vehicle, or was otherwise in breach of the DPA.

Personally If I was "the Police" I'd be very wary of accepting this type of evidence without assurance that the images were gathered lawfully. If I were the chap who has just been penalised I'd be very tempted to report the matter to the Information Commissioner.

I wondered how the "stupid idiot parking" sites on Facebook land in regard DP

Archived