Bicycles on the one way mountain

La Colombe

Here's an interesting tweet from the IOM police twitter thing. Interesting because it's the first time I have seen police confirmation of the law regarding this issue. (If it is an issue). I personally don't think they should air an opinion on the wisdom of such action, after all, they could probably come up with an almost endless list of things that aren't good ideas in TT week. But as they have, they should also extend warnings to riders and drivers that it isn't a good idea to fail to anticipate such possible slow moving road users and ride/drive at appropriate speeds. 

Isle of Man Constabulary Roads Policing Unit

12 hrs · 

Things of note from day 1........

Super cars.......put your front number plate on or you will be pulled in every time you pass the Hairpin.

Motorbikes......strap everything down on your bike properly. Wallets, bags, money, jackets, gloves were all found lying on the mountain road today and caused small road closures.

Cyclists.......have a long hard think before you start Cycling on the Mountain Road. We can't stop you but it's not a very good idea.

Tick tock tick tock.....day 2 just around the corner.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyclists should stay off the bloody roads for the whole fortnight. Already just this morning I've seen to narrow misses that within 0.5 second hesitation could have easily caused fatalities with idiot motorcyclists driving too fast on roads with idiots driving too slow in their cars. I have also already this morning seen a bunch of cyclists driving two abreast taking up the whole side of the road and causing gridlock with irate car drivers unable to get past. If you ask me, all three factors are going to result in deaths and personally I don't feel safe on the roads with all of this going on. It's pure insanity. PS I'm not even anywhere near the mountain or race courses so goodness only knows how bad it is on them!

It's basically summing up what everyone knows. It's not against the law but it's fucking stupid, and leads to accidents. 

Likewise with the motorbikes leaving debris on the roads as potential accident causes. 

It's sad that the police have to put in writing what should be common sense. Yes you can go on the mountain on a push bike by why would you want to and risk it? Even every other week of the year I'd be cautious but when it's filled with vehicles travelling over 100mph at points and some not knowing the road why risk it? 

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Does it? Can you cite any specific accidents it has led to? 

I think the point is that whether it's strictly legal of not it's clearly totally fucking stupid. It's typical of the arrogant way many cyclists always assert their rights to do stupid things and put themselves in danger when they don't need to just because "I can". It won't be long before someone gets injured so the Police are right to highlight the dangers. You shouldnt really need to spend time explaining to people how fucking stupid and likely to put them in harm cycling on a one way road where bikers might be traveling at 120mph plus is. 

The overwhelming arrogance of the Lycra clad numbskulls never fails to amaze me.  

Yes it's your right to ride the roads, though you should be paying Road Tax to use them.

But we all have rights that at times could put ourselves and others at risks, and most people choose not to exercise those rights in the name of safety.

9 minutes ago, JackCarter said:

It won't be long before someone gets injured so the Police are right to highlight the dangers. You shouldnt really need to spend time explaining to people how fucking stupid and likely to put them in harm cycling on a one way road where bikers might be traveling at 120mph plus is. 

What do you mean it won't be long? People are getting injured up on that road all the time. And killed. It's already been closed this morning because of an incident at Windy Corner. I don't think any bicycles were involved though. 

9 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

What do you mean it won't be long? People are getting injured up on that road all the time. And killed. It's already been closed this morning because of an incident at Windy Corner. I don't think any bicycles were involved though. 

Stop being a provocative little tit just because it's the TT and you don't like the TT. Surely when accidents are more likely to be happening due to speed, and when deaths and injuries are happening on one particular stretch of road where speed is actively encouraged by the one way system, the least sensible thing to do is go up there on a push bike doing 20mph when everyone else is hurtling around at 120 mph. It's not like your cycling helmet is going to protect you much is it? Anyone who does it is a complete dick! 

3 minutes ago, JackCarter said:

the least sensible thing to do is go up there on a push bike doing 20mph when everyone else is hurtling around at 120 mph. 

But it isn't everyone else. Most riders are quite sensible. You mention 120mph v 20mph. How does that differ on a blind left hander from one motorcycle hurtling around at 150mph, and another motorcycle just ahead travelling at 50mph? It doesn't. Where are the minimum speed warnings?

23 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

But it isn't everyone else. Most riders are quite sensible. You mention 120mph v 20mph. How does that differ on a blind left hander from one motorcycle hurtling around at 150mph, and another motorcycle just ahead travelling at 50mph? It doesn't. Where are the minimum speed warnings?

Oh shut up - nobody is playing with you today. If you can't see how utterly stupid it is then head up there yourself on your bike. I'll give you a wave as I try and slip stream you at 100 mph. 

Archived