Bicycles on the one way mountain

La Colombe

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP La Columbe makes an interesting point. Ordinarily, if people were driving/riding like idiots at double the motorway speed limit on a normal mountain pass, the police would be keen to speak to those people for help with their enquiries, but here, instead, the police advise ordinary road users to keep out of the way of the nutters so they can have their fun. It's definitely an interesting take on things. I think it shows how reckless, dangerous speed is so ingrained into our national psyche that even the police think it's fine, indeed they are instructed to allow it by political policy. I really do think the no speed limit thing is getting harder to justify.

With regard to cyclists; hell there's no way I'd go up there in TT week. I've never been up there at all on a bicycle, anytime. But... it's just a road, isn't it? If it's not a road, then it should be closed off and used like a track day, for a fee and insurance waiver. If it is a road, then anyone can use it, car,van, motorhome, bicycle, whatever. Is it time for our politicians to decide what it actually is? Clearly the one-way 'safety measure' thing is being misused as a free-for-all track day.

Slightly off topic, but there's a couple of troll arseholes on here who like to gob off about 'bloody cyclists'. They're not the only ones - it's a common thing on social media. I can kind of understand it in big cities where they're going through red lights and stuff, but driving round here, I'm held up by cyclists probably the least of anything at all. Today, I was at the St Ninians traffic lights for fookin' ages. We eventually get near the front, lights go green, and THREE cars get to go before they change. I was there long enough to hear 3 songs on the radio. Do I gob off on social media? No. It's just part of driving. Getting off stop signs can take ages with the weight of traffic (Saddle Road, anyone?). Do I gob off on forums about all and sundry? No. How about "Bloody BUSES! Stopping every 50 yards to let arrogant prick passengers on board, WHO DON'T EVEN PAY ROAD TAX!!" No, of course not. If I did, everyone would think I was a total knob. But cyclists.... Now, they're a game target - why? They don't hold you up more than other stuff. A few seconds at most. I think there's something really sinister about the hate-preaching aimed at cyclists. It's like a persecution of a minority. The language used is really nasty 'They deserve to go under the wheels' etc. If a car holds you up, it's OK, because I'm in a car too, we're the majority, but a "Bloody Cyclist'!!" I just don't get it, but I do know it's very unpleasant. 

1 hour ago, flaps said:

The OP La Columbe makes an interesting point. Ordinarily, if people were driving/riding like idiots at double the motorway speed limit on a normal mountain pass, the police would be keen to speak to those people for help with their enquiries, but here, instead, the police advise ordinary road users to keep out of the way of the nutters so they can have their fun. It's definitely an interesting take on things. I think it shows how reckless, dangerous speed is so ingrained into our national psyche that even the police think it's fine, indeed they are instructed to allow it by political policy. I really do think the no speed limit thing is getting harder to justify.

With regard to cyclists; hell there's no way I'd go up there in TT week. I've never been up there at all on a bicycle, anytime. But... it's just a road, isn't it? If it's not a road, then it should be closed off and used like a track day, for a fee and insurance waiver. If it is a road, then anyone can use it, car,van, motorhome, bicycle, whatever. Is it time for our politicians to decide what it actually is? Clearly the one-way 'safety measure' thing is being misused as a free-for-all track day.

Slightly off topic, but there's a couple of troll arseholes on here who like to gob off about 'bloody cyclists'. They're not the only ones - it's a common thing on social media. I can kind of understand it in big cities where they're going through red lights and stuff, but driving round here, I'm held up by cyclists probably the least of anything at all. Today, I was at the St Ninians traffic lights for fookin' ages. We eventually get near the front, lights go green, and THREE cars get to go before they change. I was there long enough to hear 3 songs on the radio. Do I gob off on social media? No. It's just part of driving. Getting off stop signs can take ages with the weight of traffic (Saddle Road, anyone?). Do I gob off on forums about all and sundry? No. How about "Bloody BUSES! Stopping every 50 yards to let arrogant prick passengers on board, WHO DON'T EVEN PAY ROAD TAX!!" No, of course not. If I did, everyone would think I was a total knob. But cyclists.... Now, they're a game target - why? They don't hold you up more than other stuff. A few seconds at most. I think there's something really sinister about the hate-preaching aimed at cyclists. It's like a persecution of a minority. The language used is really nasty 'They deserve to go under the wheels' etc. If a car holds you up, it's OK, because I'm in a car too, we're the majority, but a "Bloody Cyclist'!!" I just don't get it, but I do know it's very unpleasant. 

But they go through red lights, ride on pavements. They also sacrifice babies and eat puppies.

8 hours ago, flaps said:

That isn't off topic at all, it's pretty much the point I'm making. The police warning singling out cyclists to apparently deal with a non problem seems to do nothing but pander to the rabid anti cycling agenda that you describe. It legitimises it, if you like. 

I find the "They don't pay road tax" argument hilarious. All roads are maintained out of general taxation so anyone who pays tax, whether they use the roads or not pays for them.

You may as well use the argument that anyone who doesn't buy cigarettes and pay the relevant duty should not be entitled to use the roads...it's as valid as the road tax argument.

2 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I find the "They don't pay road tax" argument hilarious. All roads are maintained out of general taxation so anyone who pays tax, whether they use the roads or not pays for them.

You may as well use the argument that anyone who doesn't buy cigarettes and pay the relevant duty should not be entitled to use the nhs...it's as valid as the road tax argument.

fixed...

I cycle to and from work (Port Erin to Douglas) most days and will continue to do so during TT but I wouldn’t go near the Mountain and try to avoid the rest of the circuit too. In fairness; I probably wouldn’t get very far before I had to get off and push and I don’t wear Lycra.

The mountain should be restricted to motorised vehicles whilst it is one way; not the sort of thing that I would ordinarily support but it is clearly a few militant morons who give the rest of us a bad name that go up there and risk contributing to serious collisions; no one ‘needs’ to go up the Mountain; I suspect that the coast road would be quicker.

I would be happy to pay road tax for my bike when the government puts some effort into considering the needs of cyclists on the road. Cycle lanes would be fantastic but I’m not daft enough to think that will happen in the near future; paying attention to the road surface on the near side would be lovely; I regularly have to swerve to avoid pot holes and man holes (and the occasional arse hole who doesn’t look before crossing) and the condition of the tarmac can be so broken up that it slows me down by about 5mph on the flat which is significant over a 15 mile journey.

24 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

The mountain should be restricted to motorised vehicles whilst it is one way; not the sort of thing that I would ordinarily support but it is clearly a few militant morons who give the rest of us a bad name that go up there and risk contributing to serious collisions; no one ‘needs’ to go up the Mountain; I suspect that the coast road would be quicker.

Roger Mexico suggests why it can't be so here. 

24 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I cycle to and from work (Port Erin to Douglas) most days and will continue to do so during TT but I wouldn’t go near the Mountain and try to avoid the rest of the circuit too. In fairness; I probably wouldn’t get very far before I had to get off and push and I don’t wear Lycra.

I would be happy to pay road tax for my bike when the government puts some effort into considering the needs of cyclists on the road. Cycle lanes would be fantastic but I’m not daft enough to think that will happen in the near future; paying attention to the road surface on the near side would be lovely; I regularly have to swerve to avoid pot holes and man holes (and the occasional arse hole who doesn’t look before crossing) and the condition of the tarmac can be so broken up that it slows me down by about 5mph on the flat which is significant over a 15 mile journey.

top post:thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I would be happy to pay road tax for my bike when the government puts some effort into considering the needs of cyclists on the road. 

If you are going to go down this route then perhaps instead of a tax cyclists pay a licence fee per year. The licence could be endorsable and revocable so they think twice about shooting lights or riding on the pavement. As a cyclist I'd be happy to go along with that 

1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

If you are going to go down this route then perhaps instead of a tax cyclists pay a licence fee per year. The licence could be endorsable and revocable so they think twice about shooting lights or riding on the pavement. As a cyclist I'd be happy to go along with that 

Nothing wrong with that proposal. As long as the local plod give us the same protection as they do motorists

Excellent attempt to dodge the fact that cyclists should pay road tax just like everyone else. Car drivers don't have the luxury of non payment just because the roads are full of pot holes, or arse holes wearing lycra getting in the way all the time.

Just now, llap said:

Excellent attempt to dodge the fact that cyclists should pay road tax just like everyone else. Car drivers don't have the luxury of non payment just because the roads are like Cydonia.

You don't pay road tax, you pay vehicle tax. Do keep up

Archived